Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

FYI, keeping an online presence is like a full time gig.

When I was running two small businesses, it was pretty loving hard to deal with also keeping our websites up to date and dont get me started on managing social media bullshit.

We were always busy with customers that it was mostly unnecessary.

It really depends on the business. But maybe they just don't need or want an online presence.

Also, CALL someone before you loving send an unsolicited text message. That seems like proper etiquette to me. If I get a text from a stranger instead of a call, I will ignore it.

This is a large dentist practice so yeah I don't loving care what their garbage reason is. Besides having an online scheduler means less work not more at least after it's been set up.

Also, it wasn't unsolicited. If they were fine with a text message response to prevent them from archiving my records they should be fine scheduling a god drat appointment. Even so they aren't just one person they can handle unsolicited texts.

ArbitraryC posted:

OP I can probably shed some light on this. It's not exactly your problem in this instance but it goes with the general gestalt of why it's so hard right now to use modern communication tools to interact with companies and corporations. I help edit papers for a professor that publishes in English, her second language, and has an editor (me) to help make the writing sound more natural. She does research primarily in the hospitality industry but customer service is a frequent topic. To give a very brief summary, bad customer service was found to be more profitable. The reason you often just can't email your complaint, wait a day or two for them to look into it and get back to you with a response addressing it is because making this process easier results in more returns/refunds/comps/etc, whereas having those stupid instant message chats or phone trees to try to get your problem resolved often ends in people doing mental math, deciding the effort/time isn't worth it, and giving up. There are entire fields devoted to looking into stuff like this and the results concerning (at least short term) profit are fairly conclusive. The point of a system is what it does. This is true for p much everything, whenever you find yourself wondering why a business/gov/whatever is doing something so obviously wrong for the clients/customers/constituents/whatever it's almost certainly because it makes them more money than doing it right.

Sure I absolutely get that. Xbox live use to make you call to cancel. loving assholes. I had a VPN where they didn't just let you cancel you had to make a ticket to cancel. Actually I had a web host do that poo poo to me too. The web host was extra lovely because it didn't get canceled and eventually I was sent to collections over like 20 bucks (I think they were bought or something I don't really remember either way what kind of lovely company gives a poo poo about going after 20 bucks).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I got on the internet when I was 14 and it was the worst mistake of my life

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I got the internet. Uhhhhhh I don't remember. Earliest memory of playing something online was probably Descent? I don't remember if it was new at the time. I'm gonna say 10. I turned out great. THE INTERNET IS GREAT HOW DARE YOU!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm on the internet

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
POST HOLES

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i don't really like the internet all that much anymore

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This issue is so old it was a bit on Seinfeld I think but I once had a membership to a gym that required I come in person to fill out paperwork to cancel. This was like 8 years ago.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Oh no help someone is ringing me what am I going to do I might have to actually talk to someone!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nooner posted:

POST HOLES

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
aw jeez why does the dentie lady gotta call me to accomplish a task in the shortest amount of time with the best tool for the job

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I stand by what I was taught in web development school in 2000 and so should you

1) websites should be accessible to all monitors: 800 x 600 at the minimum
2) clients need a site "refresh" (at least half rebuilt) every six months
3) Flash is for Splash and navigation unless you can talk the client into a full site then $kaching$

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

i prefer to talk to a human being on the telephone, thereby assuring that I have reached a human being with my desired outcomes, and providing a point of contact for when they inevitably gently caress it up and i need to get in touch again.

Oh you mean that person who is new, and is going to quit in the next 2 weeks? 2022 fuggin rules

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i've worked in a couple inbound call centers and while it's definitely not the most exciting job in the world at the end of the day you're getting paid pretty good for sitting on your butt and playing video games all day while you pretend to look things up for the customer

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and hell most places let you do it at home now so you can literally get paid to sit on your couch smoking weed

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm on tha internet.... posting....

I'm not

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Everyone has strong opinions on this. It's going to be weird for a while, with half your customers/clients saying "why didn't you just call me?" and the other half being all "why did you CALL me?"

Don't worry though, eventually the old people will die and we will all be socially anxious autists who will never have to talk again

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irregardless posted:

aw jeez why does the dentie lady gotta call me to accomplish a task in the shortest amount of time with the best tool for the job

LEARN TO CAPITALISM PROPERLY HOLY poo poo. A scheduler means less work for employees which means you might get to fire an employee. Duh.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
aw jeez why the dentie lady good at phone when she should be good at computer

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

actually phones are computers

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Irregardless posted:

aw jeez why the dentie lady good at phone when she should be good at computer

Aw jeez why does the idiot not want companies to be better and give a poo poo about customer service? Aww jeez why does the company not want to have less employees? Ahhh jeez why is it acceptable to mock someone being anxious about being on the phone? gently caress off.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If it’s that big of a deal just don’t go to the dentist

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I can get one of those birds to come pick ur teeth clean like the hippos (:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If it’s that big of a deal just don’t go to the dentist

Well due to covid I hadn't for awhile now but I mean I should do the whole dentist cleaning thing since it's not like covid is going to go away ever. I would have done it sooner but I hate calling people so yeah I've been procrastinating.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The early internet ruled, but it was all downhill since the dot cum bubble.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Maybe a good small business idea for the OP of the other thread would be to start a business making phone calls for weirdos who can’t/won’t use a phone.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
in my day we wore a suit to the denist. and greeted them with a firm handshake

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Maybe a good small business idea for the OP of the other thread would be to start a business making phone calls for weirdos who can’t/won’t use a phone.

:hmmyes:

It seems to be such a huge problem now. I'd honestly be shocked if someone didn't eventually do this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

you can already use the free services setup for deaf or mute people to avoid talking on the phone directly

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

you can already use the free services setup for deaf or mute people to avoid talking on the phone directly

Yeah but is there a subscription based app with a bunch of colorful artwork of flat shaded people with big shoulders and noodle arms?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hmm, big shoulders, you may be on to something

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

It's gotta have stuff like this

It's how you know an app is good and trustworthy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oh, i was thinkin more like large head and body horror like this style, but your stuff is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

IIRC There's a company that, for a fee, will argue with Comcast over the phone until they fix your internet.