Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i like moths here are some pictures

a fun moth fact: butterflies evolved from moths.

wow look at these cool friends fluttering around, obsessed with chasing the light. they are soft and fuzzy and long after the last human is dead moths will flit around the graveyards once known as cities, as happy as they ever were.
oh yeah i forgot!

look at this moth!

IT'S LIKE THEY KNOW.

please post mothfacts and pictures of cool moths here thank you very much. i love you, moths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

the best fictional moth is mothra

it's not even a competition.

who, i wonder, is the second best fictional moth. volcarona?

maybe the un named moth that saves gandalf:

i do not know that is why i am asking.

mothman is real and my friend and does not count.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

if anyone posts a loving butterfly i'm closing this thread immediately

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
What is the difference between a moth and a butterfly, op

Not a troll, genuine question :ohdear: :sweatdrop:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Heather Papps

hello friend

Chewbecca posted:

What is the difference between a moth and a butterfly, op

Not a troll, genuine question :ohdear: :sweatdrop:

i refuse to look this up so i am going on memory. moths are almost always nocturnal while butterflies rule the day. there are like 10 times as many moth species filling way more niches than butterflies because they've been diverging for an incredibly long time while butterflies are a fairly recent branch off. as a result of this very long period of evolution within the species moth size, shape and behaviour can differ drastically while butterflies again mostly do the same thing.

moths are cute as hell and butterflies are all gangly and weird. moths are fuzzy and have cute little faces but a butterfly looks like they are going to ask you to pay for their drinks because they "forgot" their wallet. moths are maybe the most significant pollinator across the world but bees and butterflies get all the recognition, and i loving love bees don't get me wrong but they are not the biggest worker in this zone.

moths have fuzzy antenna that makes them look like bug puppies to my eyes and butterflies have weird spindly stick antenna.

that is the end of what i can remember off hand but the biggest thing to remember is moths kick rear end and butterflies are a pale imitation. think of wolfs and a weird bulldog that needs it's owner to wipe it's butt and face folds.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Sig by Heather Papps

Chewbecca

Turns out Australia has it's own moth website called 'Australian Moths Online'

This one looks like it has feathers for wings :swoon:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

This one looks soft to touch :shobon:

Chewbecca

This moth is cosplaying as a bumble bee :3:

Heather Papps

hello friend

just lovely! australia has some nice moths.

also

Chewbecca posted:

This one looks soft to touch :shobon:

as a lifelong friend to moths i can confirm they feel like velvet when they walk on you. it's not great to touch their wings because they have scales you can rub off and that makes it harder for them to fly but their fuzzbutts and face areas are, i think, alright to give a pat

Chewbecca

I love how thicc this guy is

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

i refuse to look this up so i am going on memory. moths are almost always nocturnal while butterflies rule the day. there are like 10 times as many moth species filling way more niches than butterflies because they've been diverging for an incredibly long time while butterflies are a fairly recent branch off. as a result of this very long period of evolution within the species moth size, shape and behaviour can differ drastically while butterflies again mostly do the same thing.

moths are cute as hell and butterflies are all gangly and weird. moths are fuzzy and have cute little faces but a butterfly looks like they are going to ask you to pay for their drinks because they "forgot" their wallet. moths are maybe the most significant pollinator across the world but bees and butterflies get all the recognition, and i loving love bees don't get me wrong but they are not the biggest worker in this zone.

moths have fuzzy antenna that makes them look like bug puppies to my eyes and butterflies have weird spindly stick antenna.

that is the end of what i can remember off hand but the biggest thing to remember is moths kick rear end and butterflies are a pale imitation. think of wolfs and a weird bulldog that needs it's owner to wipe it's butt and face folds.

if these moth facts are incorrect i welcome a "well actually" i just really like moths a lot. a lover, not an expert.

e: already i found one it's not species it's genus or clade or something i don't know, i just know i used the wrong word

Chewbecca

This guy looks like a watercolour

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I hereby declare that August is Month Moth!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Buttchocks posted:

I hereby declare that August is Month Moth!

I'll see u in the moth pit :regd07: :regd10:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

biosterous

moths are pretty cool imo

kira will of course attempt to eat any she encounters but that's just how it go

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

moths babies are a scourge on my vegetable garden. squash vine borers, hornworms, and army worms are all moth babies and i am sorry but i murder them with chemical and biological weapons.

the moths themselves are cool i guess but gently caress their bratty little kids.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

honestly and don't tell the other moth people about this, but i loving hate caterpillars as well. too many legs. too squishy.

google THIS

It's weird to think that many insects are basically just hosed up worms that destroy plants, then for the last 10% or less of their life they grow wings so they can sip nectar and gently caress

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i think the entire cocoon business maybe involving the larvae dying and a separate moth/butterfly emerging is intriguing

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FutonForensic

your moth looks like a bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

xcheopis

https://blog.growingwithscience.com/tag/bee-moth/

Manifisto

google THIS posted:

It's weird to think that many insects are basically just hosed up worms that destroy plants, then for the last 10% or less of their life they grow wings so they can sip nectar and gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4&t=226s

3:46 in case it does not take you right to it

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Manifisto posted:

what the heck is this its cool as heck and needs its own thread or something wow

Manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

what the heck is this its cool as heck and needs its own thread or something wow

double king is a treasure we have screened it a couple of times on movie nites (as pre-feature material) and probably will again

ty nesamdoom!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

google THIS posted:

Yep, that's my retirement plan.

Manifisto

google THIS posted:

maybe I seriously misunderstand angels but I think this actually describes the christian afterlife

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i have lived for 14 years in a place that has hummingbird moths and i haven't seen one yet.

we also have the rosy maple moth and i haven't seen one of those yet either

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
op, as you're clearly a moth scholar - how possible is it that we breed dog sized moths which can be our fluffy companions who also fly?

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's totally possible if the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere drastically increases. the ancient giant dragonflies and such could only exist in those circumstances due to how their blood oxygen exchange systems work.

honestly though there are some pretty big moths out there. i don't know how true this video title is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQavEkQVboA
but that's a pretty big moth. they don't live super long so i think selectively breeding them for size wouldn't be that tricky?

when i imagine the skies of the future filled with drones zipping back and forth i get bummed out, if some crispr geneticist could make dragonflies and moths big and we used them instead i would be pretty happy

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

New 5 year plan: grow wings so I can sip nectar and gently caress

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

google THIS posted:

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
some moths i've seen

Heather Papps

hello friend

Sarah Cenia posted:

some moths i've seen

these are some real good moths, thank you

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

New 5 year plan: grow wings so I can sip nectar and gently caress

nectar sips and chill

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Dr. Honked posted:

nectar sips and chill

Nosfereefer

Heather Papps posted:

it's totally possible if the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere drastically increases. the ancient giant dragonflies and such could only exist in those circumstances due to how their blood oxygen exchange systems work.

honestly though there are some pretty big moths out there. i don't know how true this video title is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQavEkQVboA
but that's a pretty big moth. they don't live super long so i think selectively breeding them for size wouldn't be that tricky?

when i imagine the skies of the future filled with drones zipping back and forth i get bummed out, if some crispr geneticist could make dragonflies and moths big and we used them instead i would be pretty happy

it is a beautiful dream

google THIS

Dr. Honked posted:

nectar sips and chill

Ass-penny

Manifisto posted:

I am not nearly high enough to watch this video wow that's real hosed up

there's a lot of cool moths ITT tho and I like em. why are moths so dusty, what's up with that? I made the bad decision to kill one a few weeks ago and I still have a dusty dark smear on my wall, and I think that moth deserved better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Sarah Cenia posted:

some moths i've seen

This looks like a leopard moth. I've seen one of them. Their thorax looks unbelievably fuzzy, and they look really neato.

I'd love to see a wild Luna moth one day. I've seen a couple of those hummingbird moths, they're pretty freaky.