Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Why is ardennes still a d&d mod? He was already pretty much completely inactive before I became an Ik in d&d 3 years ago

They aren't, if you re-read the OP they have been demodded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For a comparative number, Ukraine thread in February/March spent a few weeks at 1600-3600 posts per day.

When the war first began, as Fritz noted, D&D was the most heavily trafficked subforum for a couple weeks until it came back down. For all the talk about D&D dying, it is at worst, the 5th most popular subforum (with a casual glance now, the order of viewers is GBS, CSPAM, Games, PYF, then D&D.) Fritz has noted that over the past couple years, the posters in D&D have almost all turned over, but the amount of viewers is close to the same. I think (again, just my gut here, no data) more than other subforums, D&D has a higher percentage of lurkers, and not posters, which is also why things blew up after the war began - if you want to read someplace and get new information while not needing to contribute yourself, then come to D&D!

When I read people saying that any discussion pushed out of general chat threads will make those topics die on the vine, I say...maybe threads are supposed to just fall off the first page. This happens in other subforums. At the same time, you shouldn't feel bad for posting in a topic that hasn't had a new post in 3 months - hey, something happened, please tell others about it.

I get why people don't want to make new threads. I've been a poster here for 12 years and I think I can count the number of threads I have made on one hand (which includes the past 2 USCEs.) People post in larger threads because they think that is where other posters are. No one wants to make a new thread and see it only get a couple posts and end - why did I spent an hour writing this sweet OP to get no response? Maybe this topic is stupid...maybe I'm stupid. No one wants to feel like that. So better be safe to just keep posting where everyone else is. There have been a couple people here who have also said that they are afraid to post something because they think it will get a sixer - and I get that as well, but unless you're posting no-context tweets, usually the thing I like to see the most get posted is links to articles about something happening.

There have been several discussions in the mod forum about the impact of megathreads and what is the best way for users to view the forums as a whole - there is no actual data for this, but everyone thinks that the growth of megathreads started when more users began only viewing the forums through their bookmarks instead of casually browsing everywhere. And if that is how you mainly view SA as a whole, then you wouldn't want new topics. For the most part, the mods/admin team have the opinion that viewing SA like this leads to more cliquey behavior and would rather have people looking at everything together - but the genie is out of the bottle on that one, and has been for a decade. Since I've been a mod, I try to get out of my bookmarks and read other threads in D&D and in other forums.