Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

I feel like there needs to be some way to stem the tide of a few people bringing the exact same argument up the exact same way hundreds of times despite the relevance to what's at hand.

If people are bringing up the same argument hundreds of times it's probably because it's a. not a settled issue at all, b. relevant despite you personally not thinking so or c. fun to argue about. Moderating against people doing things for any one of those reasons seems counterproductive to the idea of a debate forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harold Fjord posted:

I think things are on the right track except that czs wanders around random slaughtering perfectly decent conversations

That's a good point, can someone tell CZS to stop slamming his buttons every time the conversation gestures in a direction not covered by the thread title

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

From my perspective, everything is pretty much fine. I can't really think of a probation that didn't make sense.

Everyone who says there is a problem have not linked to any examples. I want to see examples.

Sure, since you asked, here's some tiny images of bad probes:

There's so many blocks like this. Just the worst kind of mindless word filter modding, the robotic open-report-hit-buttons that makes the whole thing about how d&d is aiming to have zero posts by 2024 or whatever feel less and less ironic. I mean having a rule that's literally "it's illegal to make jokes here, unless we find them funny, post at your own risk" already feels like a satire of bad moderation but bringing a guy onto the mod team who doesn't actually seem to have a sense of humor and just probes jokes on sight is like an Andy Kaufman bit

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 30, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

XboxPants posted:

What's the standard for when bans are considered? There are a handful of posters here who've had dozens and dozens of probes just this year alone. I agree we need to give people a chance to improve their posting style, especially on such a slippery and subjective board. But after the 30th probe in as many weeks, does that poster deserve any more good faith? I would argue that a small handful of posters contribute the majority of the unproductive arguments in USCE and other hotspot threads.

It's not that their arguments are just so bad that we can't allow them. You can have a reasoned discussion of even the most tired topic, and it's even helpful to do so in many cases, because it helps us refine our arguments so that we can talk to the real people in our physical lives who really do believe these things. But to allow that kind of atmosphere, you'd have to start actually banning people who make a habit of unproductive posting. People can be banned from just one board, right?

Oh here's my other feedback: if you're going to make insinuations like this, you've got to name names so we can see what exactly you're mad about, considering jokes are illegal and you can get probed if a mod has seen your argument before "they've been probed a lot" is not a useful metric for anything

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It seems like there's a pretty fundamental conflict about what the mods here are trying to accomplish- is the idea to try and create quality debate, or just to punish every rule breach for it's own sake? Because you've now got a guy, the most active mod here, who from the outside seems to treat moderating like he's got a quota. Not "do these posts really interfere with the discussion" but "okay, that's a 2a, that's a 2.1.c, that can be a 1.1.1, that looks like a 3.1," the kind of broken windows approach to moderating that just makes it miserable to post here because any time you're discussing something there's a solid chance that you or the other person is going to get yanked out of the discussion with a big vaudeville hook for some ticky tacky rear end reason. LT 2012 is actually doing a good job because he seems to be leaning heavily towards not probating instead of "okay which rule should I probate this for".

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

Pictured: the only current problem reporter in D&D or CSPAM or hell, really the forums at all. Literally the only person who maxes their reports like this. Why do I include reports from "John Kasch?" Because John Kasich is an alt of B B that they logged onto to spam even more reports when they maxed out on their main.

I'm sure it's very annoying and all but honestly: lmao

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i don't even know who that is but i guess i should find out

He's a large dog that somebody taught to post, as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah, CSPAM’s obsession with DV is absolutely insane.

What's cspam got to do with anything? This is D&D we're posting in.