Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Honestly a really chill response, thank you and it's not a big deal it's just a style of posting I see here a lot and drives me nuts. I don't know what to call it and I don't really know how to explain it but I really do think that little interaction is a great example of one of the things I think really derails threads, starts fights, and gets very little attention.

One person posts a belief or idea they have about a subject, the next poster reads it and picks up something between the lines that they find so offensive that this just has to be trolling and then reacts accordingly, and the discussion quickly goes off the rails as two people post earnestly at someone who they're absolutely convinced has to be trolling. And that poo poo when it's not caught and told to knock it off it just builds and builds because both posters become absolutely convinced they're not just right but the good guy in this position.

I'm not even sure if there's a great way to make rules around it but if we're trying a softer touch I think mods and IKs need to push back on situations where posters read between the lines and then jump to conclusions instead of at least asking the other poster to explain their position. Part of civil debate is allowing people the ability to rephrase and explain their position since we can all really recognize that the written word is not perfect at expressing meaning.

personally this is why i stopped reading d&d, the ratio of informative posts to combative posts is way too out of whack. some folks post about politics because they want to find and defeat posting enemies, or because they have anxiety and are blowing off steam, or because they want to convince themselves that they are right and good, and all of this stuff is just boring to read. it encourages people to develop imaginative headcanons about how the posters they don't like are clearly disturbed fascists who must be opposed at all costs, which is a really cringey LARP way to post if you're not interested in the mighty dialectical struggle of it all

my entirely personal opinion is that too much social media consumption drives people into adopting a trendy mindset of extreme pessimism, which is really just a form of emotional self-harm. its like political flagellation and it infects a lot of internet discussion outside of the forums, but it exists here as well, and it undercuts discussion because failing to signal a sufficient level of emotional misery about the state of the world is itself morally suspicious to some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU