Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Harold Fjord posted:

Free vitalsigns

What happened to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
D&D is fine enough I guess. it's shitup by some kind of bigger site-level issues that are entirely beyond the scope of the mods here, but D&D itself is, idk fairly consistent at this point. If you argue like an rear end in a top hat, you're going to get probated. if you argue like not an rear end in a top hat, 20% chance you're going to get probated.

On that note: mods should read a few lines above and below in reports because some real dumb probes happen when that isn't done.

Also yall should be doing mod searching like 24/7/365 because the average time until burnout seems like it's about half the time that it takes to find a single new mod.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 30, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Why is ardennes still a d&d mod? He was already pretty much completely inactive before I became an Ik in d&d 3 years ago

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
good work

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
next you're going to tell me that helsing isn't a mod anymore

is he still alive? does anyone know?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

lol okay how is that not abuse

like why haven't you just perma'd that account. this isn't feedback I'm just curious

imagine the stupidest possible system that requires many pointless steps to go through before permabanning someone and it can be vetoed at multiple steps of the process by a single person

that's the permaban process at SA

additionally there's an idea that permabans should only be used for crimes or extremely hosed up, probably illegal stuff and also people who threaten to charge back $10

'this person wastes a ton of peoples' time and is a loving drag that everyone involved would like gone' historically does not have much bearing on the process. especially not lately since jeff has enjoyed exercising his veto power over recent proposed permabans.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Based on what I know about alts on this website, it would not surprise me to discover that this already describes large chunks of DND.

There are a bunch of people with 3 or 4 accounts (and a few with significantly more... mostly people who were dodging something), but at least from when I still was getting the juice about what handful of alts was who, almost no one was replying to their own posts with other accounts. Not never, but it wasn't common and I think it was informally the line in the sand on alts.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

as I've mentioned before the user base of d&d is composed predominantly of people who, in another time and place, would have been quite happy living under the Nazis (as were most people back then at least at first). I don't think it's reasonable or for that matter practical to ban everyone who posts here so giving d&d people a safe space where they can laugh and play with other Nazis is, imo, a reasonable goal and I'm glad the moderation team here is finally being open about it instead of pretending they're really trying to do something else, like the previous group of morons who were running the place. godspeed koos group et al

I can't imagine why D&D mods would make you feel unwelcome to post here

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

are you gonna do anything else besides rubberneck in this thread, like seriously its so damned tiresome to see your attempts at sassing people

Did you read that post? because there's no sass in my response to it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I assume it will never happen because it's a huge pain in the rear end (so the only way it is happening is if it is automated) but man it would be amazing if tweets were all posted as screenshots or with a screenshot of the tweet. going through any thread over a year old is almost unreadable as so much of the discussion is around tweets and depending on the subject from like 50 to 90 percent of old tweets will be deleted or the accounts banned or whatever.

I was reading the old USpol thread from the day of 1/6 and pretty much everything linked in there real time is now gone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
perhaps we need a forum for discussing history

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

I unironically tried this with a "Weekend Debate Club" topical thread, the idea was to get folks to dig deep into historical issues that are well-documented, the topic I chose was regarding Civil Rights as it was MLK Day weekend. It went okay but didn't get a lot of engagement.

history forum, not history thread

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Koos Group posted:

And hell, one for Herstory.

:awesome:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if anything d&d refuses to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It seems like every regime of DnD has been a steady uptick in probes per day from the start of the regime to the eventual end of it. It'll go from the most laissez affair style of moderation to full authoritarianism thought police level probations for effort posts that are definitely in good faith.

I mean there was a literal Holocaust denier going around probing anyone who posted anti Russia statements for a month at a time. The whole ramp bullshit that ended up having people probated for a month at a time every 3 posts.

It's been said a bunch but it absolutely feels like positions are moderated as a standard.

Expecting people to serious post in threads that are discussing horrible topics is just awful. And the whole 'then don't post' thing is just more of the same. Lightening up the mood or attempting to do so is sometimes nice to see in a thread discussing the destruction of women's rights or some other example.

the big thing is that it's just stupid to have multiple politics forums because it means that each inevitably is forced into some kind of identity as opposed to just being a place where you can enforce 'make good posts, don't post like poo poo and don't be an egregious rear end in a top hat'

Feedback threads are always going to cover the same ground as long as SA is set up this way because as long as the forums have to have some kind of identity, people are going to be at eachothers throats about what that identity should be. Personally I think that a ton of what gets talked about as subforum specific problems isn't really in the scope of stuff that can be addressed at the subforum level