Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

1. Keep this feedback thread open through tuesday or wednesday because many regular posters post from work and don't see this until it's already closed

2. Moderation states that it does not moderation positions, only tone and tactics. However that's impossible to moderate so it effectively becomes a moderation of positions.

Example: "This argument isn't fresh" as a probation reason.

Almost zero arguments are fresh, so effectively the moderator is probating positions they find tired, subjectively.

In a political forum, if you don't have moderation based in fact, then you are effectively moderating based on the political positions of the staff. Nobody is unbiased, so it's not possible to moderate feelings-based rules in a nonbiased manner.

3. Having two political forums that are largely(though not entirely) seperated by rhetoric causes moderation issues because each forum develops a culture with regards to the other. Close one of the two, combine with the other. I don't care which.

I feel like there needs to be some way to stem the tide of a few people bringing the exact same argument up the exact same way hundreds of times despite the relevance to what's at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

The maximum daily reports for users with platinum is 10 and literally the only user who I've seen max out their reports is B B, who throws tantrums when they catch a 6er and will max out spamming reports with their probation text for several days out of spite.

The idea that there's some "crew" of users spamming frivolous reports in D&D (or CSPAM!) to own their posting enemies is not based in reality.

edit: admins are not keen on stripping someone's reporting ability or otherwise punishing problem reporters because reports are a valuable way to interact with moderation and we don't want to discourage them. Instead, I asked for and received the go-ahead to publicly name and shame the only current problem reporter (B B) for being a huge whiny baby.

Yeah this is weird accusation that gets thrown around a bunch that I never understood, I've seen many complaints that there is some Discord where people organize and all report the same post to get a user probed as if the mods would not notice this and even then you can't report a post more then once.

I agree though that revealing reports even dumbshit ones is a dangerous path to go down community wise.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Stringent posted:

oh yeah, i've been meaning to ask this.

how much is discendo vox getting warnings instead of probes because the mods don't want to deal with pms from them?

Where do people keep getting this from? Vox gets probed all the time, more than you for certain, why is there a group of people seemingly obsessed with him getting punished and have seemed to create their own canon about him.

Maybe we should somehow remove usernames from regular users for some threads and see how that goes, there are certain groups of posters obsessed with specific posters and it drags the thread down when they pop out of nowhere to troll their posting enemy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jarmak posted:

This is the issue. People don't want their pet issues put into topical threads because they know there's not enough interest to actually sustain them. So they want to be able to force it.

I feel like this also has a high correlation with purple not actually wanting to discuss a topic, but rather yell at people about it, and those people aren't going to wander into those threads to be yelled at.

Yeah some posters really just want to yell at certain other posters and force them to engage no matter what the thread is actually about, no matter how many times the exact same arguments are made. It's why I stopped reading USpol or whatever we call it now, I was looking for a place to read and discuss whatever the latest political happenings were but instead a handful people wanted to constantly argue about how the Dems suck because they aren't blackmailing manchin for the 100th time and become hostile at the idea of even discussing the contents of a bill and the such.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

But that's just not wanting to read views on current events that you disagree with.

The failures of the Democratic Party are an ongoing current event of our times.

That's just not true though, I disagree with the disreputabledog on everything he says but he typically tries to make a current or fresh point. I'm fine with people posting about new ways the Dems suck or some poo poo bill they did or didn't pass what is stifling to discussion is people wanting to relitigate 2008 dem majority didn't pass enough or trump is all Hilarious fault endlessly etc. This is why I feel the stale argument rule is good because otherwise news/events threada get bogged down in the same stupid slapfights.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

honestly im kind of resigned to dnd being an awful place to post but i get really bent out of shape on the recent focus of aloofly debating whether or not queerphobia is cool and good that has been present as of late, but koos has made his position on that clear so what ya gonna do

Is this related to that Monkeypox thing?.is there a link to that each story I hear about it sounds more exaggerated then the last I'd like to see it for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zachack posted:

Maybe, but without enough pressure or attention to make it stick. There didn't use to be anything like uspol that I recall from way back - everything was its own topic. I think Twitter changed that because high speed embedding of news and "news" became possible, changing the landscape.

Over the years the various feedback threads have discussed Twitter and its effects a lot but there hasn't been any real change.

USpol as it exists now sprung from 2012 mainly the heat from Vilerat's death getting a large amount of new goons reading about US politics. I think in general individual threads will always get less traffic then megathreads just do to difficulty in finding/reading new ones. Although some spinoff threads die to their toxic nature, like the gun control thread is constant high energy bickering that I want no part of posting in despite reading it because I am curious about where gun control is going.

Same with the immigration thread which felt like a honeytrap to get "the libs" to post in so they could get pounced on and fewer people started taking the bait, I think in general there's little you could/should do to mod that away as they are contentious topics and people are always going to be angry about it.