Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the "sloppy assertions" thing, a fundamental issue with trying to insert "objectivity" into these discussions is that most political arguments (at least in a thread discussing current events, which is most) center around "the prediction of future events" (and are impossible to prove or disprove in the present). Attempts to objectively/quantitatively prove these things result in bullshit pseudoscience more often than not (like a semi-recent thing where someone cited a decreasing "percent of votes aligning with Trump" to prove that a politician had "moved left," which is frankly a comically stupid argument that is nevertheless taken seriously because it has the superficial trappings of "supporting an argument with data").

Seriously, think of pretty much every common argument. They generally center around "do I think Democrats are going to do _______." There is no data that can be provided to resolve this. The closest thing is references to history, which are off-topic.

Ultimately, the arguments that pop up tend to center around far deeper disagreements that aren't tied specifically to current events. You can't bring these up in the current events thread due to them being off-topic (which I don't even disagree with; the point of the thread is "commentary on recent events so it makes sense to keep it focused on that), but it's also fundamentally impossible to resolve those arguments otherwise.

I think I've brought this up in past feedback threads, but it never stopped being true. The closest thing I can think of to a solution is a permanent "actually debate the basis of your worldview/ideology" thread. It would probably end up looking similar to the past Thunderdome threads, but what's wrong with that? People can argue to their heart's content and would no longer have any excuse for doing so in other threads. It's actually kind of weird that such a thread doesn't exist.

Edit: btw, I can't speak for others, but the recent moderation is the thing that finally got me to stop posting in d&d. Not because it's subjective/ideological (that's always been the case to varying degrees), but because I'm genuinely uncertain how to avoid getting zapped for things like "stale argument." I used to have a pretty solid grasp of "how to not get probed in D&D." I may have thought that many rules/standards were dumb, but I at least understood them and could navigate them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU