Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

when messages are printed, do we have access to any metadata about the game? stuff like "the piece just lost", "final advantage", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Harold OS
Skill level: 1976

Messages: (ignore anything needing information that isn't accessible)

a) Welcome message:
- "Welcome to Harold OS! Move any piece to continue."
- "ВНИМАНИЕ: Не удалось запустить режим гроссмейстера." CAUTION: Could not start grandmaster mode.
- "Shall we play a game?"
- (if you implement ASCII mode--see bottom) "Starting in terminal mode..."

b) when they take your piece:
- "Superiority metric incremented."
- "Determining point differential..."
- "CAUTION: Could not deploy consolation message."

c) when they lose a piece:
- "Initializing anti-cheat scan..."
- "WARNING: Could not learn from mistake."
- "CAUTION: Pointer to {lost piece} is null."

d) when they win:
- "I'm afraid I couldn't let you do that."
- "Awaiting congratulatory message..."
- "Only three more wins and they'll give me a robot body!"
- "END OF LINE."
- "Don't feel bad. No human could ever compete with 8 kilobytes of RAM."

e) when they lose:
- "Oh well. How about a nice game of thermonuclear war?"
- "It's ok, I'm just a guy dressed as a chess computer anyway."
- "Daisy, daisy..."
- "What did you say your clock rate was?"
- (if you implement the Konami code--see bottom) "Scanning database for Konami code..."

f) when they tie:
- "Interesting. The only winning move was not to play."
- "I knew we should have played Disc Wars instead."
- "A stalemate is very unsettling when operating in binary."
if end of game advantage is accessible:
- (if Harold OS has advantage) "ERROR: Could not convert advantage to checkmate."
- (if Harold OS has large advantage, > +5)) "Critical endgame failure. Running diagnostics..."
- (if player has advantage) "Half point recovered."
- (if player has large advantage, > +5) "Swindle successful!"

Playing style: Ideally, has an opening book with a simple AI so that he plays well until out of book. If that's not feasible, a decent AI that doesn't look more than three moves ahead is also good (though that's stepping on World Without Onions' strategy).

FOR BONUS POINTS:
- Entering the Konami code gives the player a second king (as close to the king's start square as possible), or alternately removes a random player pawn. Harold OS says "Nobody likes a cheater."
- Holding SHIFT when selecting Harold OS switches the game theme to ASCII (using either the standard KQBNR notation or the Unicode chess symbols: ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞).