Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the women's 135 champ after tonight?
This poll is closed.
Julianna Peņa 3 18.75%
Amanda Nunes 6 37.50%
Julianna Nunes 2 12.50%
Julianna Margulies 5 31.25%
Total: 16 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

VagueRant posted:

Missed the fight, but from the talk/highlights, I take it Nunes finally delivered the fight we all expected the first time?

She certainly obliterated her. With like 2-3 times she could of lost by submission, including the one deep armbar. Pena is as tough as can be and took a hell of a beating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will also say that after that fight I feel there are very few people on the planet as tough as Juliana Pena. I don't think there is another w135, including the champ, who would have made it all five rounds last night with the beating she took.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah all I could think through the fight was "Jeeze Pena is a loving warrior".

I think WMMA has been fighting like they have something to prove ever since the Rose/Carla fight.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Been thinking about this -- I think it comes down to, even when Pena is taking a one-sided beating... she's maybe the most live underdog there is. Nunes clearly takes some risks and leaves opportunities out there, even when she comes in focused and in shape.

She's just never out and feels like she always has a punchers chance while throwing submissions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Peņa's recovery is really up there but this is one of those fights that can noticeably take years off your chin. Wouldn't be surprised if it affects her ability to just grit through stuff in a rematch.