Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I started learning contract bridge a few months ago after, no joke, seeing a newspaper ad for a 12-week beginners' course for $50 and thinking "hell, I could use a new hobby". All I knew about it was:
  • It's kinda-sorta similar to 500 (or vice versa)
  • When I was a kid, the newspaper would print a little bridge column that showed the opening hands and a mock conversation between people named after the cardinal directions for some reason
  • Warren Buffett loving loves it, like to an incredible degree

I'm now at the end of the course and having done virtually no review between sessions due to work and other stuff getting in the way, I'm thinking "boy, I really should have reviewed between sessions". The teacher is good but the book we are using (self-published by a national bridge master) is kind of arse-about in its lessons, so I'm having to go through it with a notepad and write out what I think it's trying to say for my own understanding.

Anyway, since I'm a know-nothing I'm not going to write an explanatory OP. I hope there is enough of a response that we can get a discussion going.

I'm in NZ so we use the NZ Acol bidding system of which I don't remember the name of the main characteristics, but we bid the lower suit with four cards or the higher suit with five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
welp