Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of three projects announced for the 50th anniversary of the Kamen Rider franchise, Fuuto PI is an anime adaptation of the manga spinoff/sequel to the 2009 series Kamen Rider W. The series, taking place after the series and some of the movies (though it doesn't really require the context from them), follows detective duo Shotaro and Phillip as they solve cases in the windy city of Fuuto, oftentimes involving mysterious devices known as Gaia Memories that turn people into monsters called Dopants. To fight these Dopants, the two transform into the singular hero known as Kamen Rider Double. One day, they encounter an amnesiac known as Tokime who is being targeted by Dopants. After saving her, Tokime becomes an assistant at their detective agency as they investigate her forgotten past.

Fuuto PI streams on Crunchyroll.

Shotaro Hidari (CV Yoshimasa Hosoya)
A self proclaimed "hard boiled" private eye, Shotaro is one of the head investigators in the Narumi Detective Agency and half of Kamen Rider Double. The man on the streets, Shotaro has plenty of informants around Fuuto to help him in his cases.

Phillip (CV Koki Uchiyama)
A mysterious youth, Phillip is Shotaro's partner and the second half of Kamen Rider Double. He has the power to enter the Gaia Library, a repository of all the world's knowledge, which he uses to cross reference clues Shotaro finds out in the city.

Tokime (CV Akira Sekine)
The newest employee of the Narumi Detective Agency, Tokime is an amnesiac who was saved from a Dopant attack by Kamen Rider Double. What secrets is she hiding?

Akiko Narumi (CV Mikako Komatsu)
The daughter of Shotaro's mentor, Akiko is technically the proprietor and owner of the Narumi Detective Agency, though to what extent she actually performs that job outside of telling Shotaro what to do is unknown. Beware the slipper.

Ryu Terui (CV Makoto Furukawa)
A detective working at the Fuuto Police Department, Ryu can transform into Kamen Rider Accel and fought together with Double during the events of the original series, and still acts as a begrudging ally to the Narumi Detective Agency. After the events of the original series, he has married Akiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pretty good start honestly, the new voices aren’t bad and I liked that they included a flashback to an animated version of the origin story (likely both to serve as a recap and to give us some Rider action since as I recall the W suit doesn’t actually appear in the manga for a few chapters at first)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This show is horny. It's odd.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

This show is horny. It's odd.

The manga was bad horny pretty early on iirc and from what I heard it got worse so I've been waiting to hear stuff about the show before checking it out.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Chiming in to reiterate that you really don't need to have watched the TV show this is a sequel for beforehand, the manga was designed to welcome newbies and the first episode is clearly following on those cues.

I really hate that the top CR comment is precisely about this being a sequel to W, but alas

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the show looks, especially the bit of the origin story at the beginning.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Yeah, I was really happy with the first episode, but it was incredibly horny.

Ignis posted:

Chiming in to reiterate that you really don't need to have watched the TV show this is a sequel for beforehand, the manga was designed to welcome newbies and the first episode is clearly following on those cues.

I really hate that the top CR comment is precisely about this being a sequel to W, but alas

It may not be necessary, but W is really good, so people should watch it anyway

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The manga is indeed quite horny and not unabashed in it but it does dial it down a little, I think, after a few cases. The anime has toned it down a little already at least. The fountain scene, for example, is much more explicit in the nudity. That may be more about what they can get away with in the manga than in the anime though.

And for reference, neither of these, in terms of horniness is representative of the original KR series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The blood is also not representative, it feels very much like "Well it's been like 10 years, the kids that watched the show are adults now"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to have to get used to the voices as, obviously, I haven't played the tie-in games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phillip and Akiko’s replacements sound close enough to me at least (Shotaro’s a little deep but he does well enough)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I need to watch this.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I'm just happy they didn't cast the real actors as the VAs. I'm sure Kiriyama woulda tried his best, but Suda Masaki is incredibly godawful at dubbing and is well better off knitting himself a new costume or playing Granblu on a rooftop or whatever it is he does these days.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Ignis posted:

I'm just happy they didn't cast the real actors as the VAs. I'm sure Kiriyama woulda tried his best, but Suda Masaki is incredibly godawful at dubbing and is well better off knitting himself a new costume or playing Granblu on a rooftop or whatever it is he does these days.

allegedly a lot of acting in stuff that isn't translated over here. but i could be wrong

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/EpicLinkSam/status/1556318532815708168

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, that was a pretty good second episode.

As far as I’m aware though this show is only going to be one cour and last I checked the manga is still going in Japan (but maybe we’ll get another season or two later down the line assuming this does well enough)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The place is pretty gentle too atm. One chapter per episode. Unless they start skipping cases, we may not get too far

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If this is one chapter per episode, these are some long chapters. Doesn't feel drawn out at all.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Shoutouts to sub rippers who care so little that they accidentally recreated the TVN experience on a short clip

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

If this is one chapter per episode, these are some long chapters. Doesn't feel drawn out at all.

Actually, I'm mistaken. The latest ep (2) basically ended covering up to Chapter 5, so it's going at a standard clip for an adaptation. Next episode should finish the case and ep4 should be the start of the next one.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 9, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hell yeah

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm glad shotaro is still a reckless, overly sentimental goofball who cannot be left to his own devices.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s no WBX but the opening and ending aren’t too bad overall. Why does Phillip have green hair all of a sudden though?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He has green hair in the manga, too. Artistic decision/probably helps keep it away from Masaki Suda's probably expensive likeness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's also clear from the roots that he's dyeing it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah that makes sense (especially since all the other returning characters look more or less the same as they did in the live action show)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoctorWhat posted:

It's also clear from the roots that he's dyeing it.

Maybe? But he's shown with green hair even in the Begins Night flashback so it seems like him having green hair has always been a thing in the Fuuto PI continuity, rather than him dyeing his hair between the ending of W and Fuuto PI.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
philip has always been a very fancy lad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe? But he's shown with green hair even in the Begins Night flashback so it seems like him having green hair has always been a thing in the Fuuto PI continuity, rather than him dyeing his hair between the ending of W and Fuuto PI.

I generally don't take character appearances literally, especially in animation, so I figure it's just visual continuity.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The use of WBX in this episode was so goddamn good. This show rules.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

It's not WBX, it's a new song

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ignis posted:

It's not WBX, it's a new song

It sounded like a remix, but it's been long enough since I heard the song that I just ran with it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jcwVOErVU8

WGX - W Goes Next available at Spotify/itunes et al

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Puto Fi. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Can we change the thread title? Big W basically makes no sense and I know I'm being very :goonsay: about it, but still.

Suggestions:

Fuuto PI - New Mysteries in the Windy City
Fuuto PI - Kamen Rider W IN GLORIOUS 2D!
Fuuto PI - The softboiled detective and his boy-friend returns

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thread title is fine. I like it being a bit of a mystery. Many of the people watching this aren't going to already be fans of Kamen Rider and overplaying the sequel aspect (even though so far you do not have to have seen W to enjoy this) sends the wrong message.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like the animation for the action scenes. A big surprise it wasn't using poorly rendered 3d cg.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I dropped the manga early though I’ll probably pick it back up at some point now that it’s being regularly translated again. Roughly how many chapters per episode had the anime version been adapting so far?

Also the new songs are alright so far but it’d be nice if we could get a reprise of WBX at some point as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I dropped the manga early though I’ll probably pick it back up at some point now that it’s being regularly translated again. Roughly how many chapters per episode had the anime version been adapting so far?

Also the new songs are alright so far but it’d be nice if we could get a reprise of WBX at some point as well.

2-3

Also, you'll be pleasantly surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

On the one hand, I think Fuuto PI should be able to stand on its own and not rely on W entirely, and having its own songs that aren't fully connected to its predecessor's is a good way to do so.

On the other, man the opening is terrible and using W-G-X instead works so much better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtpqhShlyyg