Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I think it's just a question of development resources. Fatshark is independent and self-publishing, so the opportunity to re-use some animation assets from the Vermintide cultists is probably just too cost-effective to pass up. Tyranid would be a particularly expensive choice because you can't exactly mocap them, anyway.

A Genestealer faction might make sense as general fodder, with iconic Tyranid units serving as specials and monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Playing as a kommando squad would be fantastic, if the ork campaign from DoW 2 is anything to go by.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nids are already in Space Hulk Deathwing and they'll be in Space Marine 2.

We need a Greentide game where Orks are around.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
ork fans still have this to look forward to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcLVvjtxk6o

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thanks for reminding me that Metal Slug 40K is coming. There's also the retro FPS coming out soon as well called Boltgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Y-M83nBrk

For every dollar bun trash warhammer game you get stuff like this that looks so good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mordja posted:

Wonder if the reason they're not doing 'nids is because you'll be fighting them in Space Marine 2.

Genestealers could work in the setting but not a full blown tyranid invasion

Its a matter of scale, a lot of factions just wouldnt work in darktide because for you to fight them the planet would already be in full seige mode.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
You already got fighting hordes of Tyranids and Genestealers in the Space Hulk: Deathwing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67R-sfff9g

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

skaianDestiny posted:

You already got fighting hordes of Tyranids and Genestealers in the Space Hulk: Deathwing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67R-sfff9g

Yes but what if it was good this time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

Yes but what if it was good this time?

It's called Deep Rock Galactic and you get to play as Squats fighting nids

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

extremely hype for this

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont mind the main enemies being cultists. I just wish that we got some Tzeentch or Slaanesh love. Let Vermintide have Nurgle, I want to fight some pink horrors and flying laser birds.

Tzeentch has hybrid melee/ranged horrors as a swarm enemy right there, too. In terms of power scale, if the U5 are allowed to snuff out stormfiends, greyseers, minotaurs and demonic sorcerers I think some rejects can punch some Horrors in the chaos taint.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

Thanks for reminding me that Metal Slug 40K is coming. There's also the retro FPS coming out soon as well called Boltgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Y-M83nBrk

For every dollar bun trash warhammer game you get stuff like this that looks so good.

As this trailer approached the halfway point I was increasingly intrigued by the modern-day setting, and I started to think maybe this would be a Toy Story / Small Soldiers game where you come to life as a little Warhammer plastic man and then you have to fight your way across the bedroom and house, defeating the other little Warhammer plastic men as you go.

I'm not disappointed, exactly, but...

...well, I am a little disappointed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

grobbo posted:

As this trailer approached the halfway point I was increasingly intrigued by the modern-day setting, and I started to think maybe this would be a Toy Story / Small Soldiers game where you come to life as a little Warhammer plastic man and then you have to fight your way across the bedroom and house, defeating the other little Warhammer plastic men as you go.

I'm not disappointed, exactly, but...

...well, I am a little disappointed.
I was looking forward to Boltgun but now I want this. Bonus points if you play as a badly-painted mini and your opponents gradually get better-and-better paintjobs 'till the final boss is a Golden Demon winner.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Pierson posted:

I was looking forward to Boltgun but now I want this. Bonus points if you play as a badly-painted mini and your opponents gradually get better-and-better paintjobs 'till the final boss is a Golden Demon winner.

Glue (and later Superglue) as a universal healing and upgrade resource - you use it to stick your arms back on or to affix increasingly more unwieldy heavy weapons to your tiny body.

Chaos Space Marines barking "DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR" as they fly at you on the back of a garden sparrow or load giant pencils into missile launchers to fire at you.

It's all gold, let's write up the pitch deck and send it to the rubber-stamp GW guy.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

that delay is a killer been so starved for a good new game since elden ring :(

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1555599826250776577

cool concept art.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1556702004197588992

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Chakan posted:

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1556702004197588992

Have you gotten emails after signing up? It says you need to fill in details but I've never gotten anything despite submitting my address thrice.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It’s in your spam folder.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Nothing in spam, nothing anywhere. Do only some get chosen for testing?

edit: apparently only gmail addresses will be sent the form you need to fill out.

Keito fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 8, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Applied for the test and filled out the form. Really hoping I get in, very excited for this game and I love the WH40K universe.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

KEep in mind the tech test is very much just a stress test for the backend, and not intended to show off the actual game much, hence the very restrictive schedule.

According to discord invites should go out today noon Swedish time

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Fishstick posted:

KEep in mind the tech test is very much just a stress test for the backend, and not intended to show off the actual game much, hence the very restrictive schedule.

According to discord invites should go out today noon Swedish time

You posted this exactly at noon Swedish time. :f5:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Keito posted:

You posted this exactly at noon Swedish time. :f5:

[–]Fatshark_AqshyCommunity Manager 70 points 50 minutes ago
Still waiting on IT; apologies this is taking longer than expected! I will post a pinned message in the Discord when they are sent!

Give the F5 key a rest, I think.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Got my invitation.

Getting ready to :blastu: some heretics.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

All keys are sent out so if you didnt get an invite by now you're outta luck

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Yeah. But the point still sticks. Zombies are wack even if they're nurgle bros.

An orc horde vermintide where you're an orc would be fun. But 40k is too grimdark for fun. I get it.

Ork heroes fighting other Orks. Greentide.

Get like a Kommando, a Storm Nob, a Big Mek, A Doktor, and a Werirdboy together and just go mash up other boss' boys.

And then a Slaanesh cult shows up and it turns into Orks fighting crab ladies and S&M gimps and a legion of David Bowie lookalikes in power armor with weaponized guitars. Greentide 2 - Purpletide.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 11, 2022

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Neat, I got a thing!

...and according to the email, that's about as much as I can say about it. I'm sure it'll be a [REDACTED] experience!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Oops I started the form and didn't submit it. Oh well

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I also got thing.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Just got mine too!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nothing for me. Maybe because I only filled in all my information for the first signup? D:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Games good

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's been a few hours since I played the closed tech beta and after letting my thoughts percolate:

Elendil004 posted:

Games good

Yeah. The mechanics are fun, they built on top of Vermintide without trying to re-invent the wheel, I'll probably main zealot come late November, and the levels are smartly designed.

Also I like the character creator just because of how little it matters to the actual game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Got one as well and got my fill yesterday. Game is loving legit.

It's kind of hilarious how the feedback forum has a big fat sticky going "THIS IS PURELY A TECHNICAL TEST REPORT ONLY BUGS NOT GAMEPLAY CONCERNS", and then one of the very first user-made threads goes like "The female faces aren't pretty enough and I don't like the hairstyles".

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 13, 2022

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

BUG: I'm not horny enough

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played 3 games and it was fun. From a technical standpoint the engine is incredibly poorly optimised but that’s usually a late thing to fix anyway. Firing the ogryns gun caused significant lag on high graphics and still a fair bit on medium, but turning off the lighting effects fixed it.

It’s a solid game and very Vermintide. The voice acting I got to hear was pretty good and it looks like there aren’t any loot boxes this time around. My only minor gripe was that the ogryn was slow as poo poo carrying the ammo drums on the ammo raid mission and he throws it anemically just like the regular humans.

Also are female ogryns a thing? I was surprised there wasn’t an option for it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Demiurge4 posted:

Also are female ogryns a thing? I was surprised there wasn’t an option for it.

They exist somewhere "Off camera" but Games Workshop themselves have not decided on what female ogryns should look like so for now they don't exist in the game proper. So Fatshark probably doesn't want to do anything that might get contradicted by canon later

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I heard there's a voice option for the ogryn that turns them from "big illiterate idiot" to "big friendly russian" and I think that's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bone 'ead upgrade presumably?