Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

skaianDestiny posted:

I heard there's a voice option for the ogryn that turns them from "big illiterate idiot" to "big friendly russian" and I think that's awesome.

Yeah that's the one I used in the beta and he's literally just the Heavy from TF2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also, for those who haven't gotten the opportunity to play, here's a short impression of the classes and their weapons that I got around to playing. I figure since all this was already in the various gameplay videos shown so far this should be kosher NDA-wise. So far every weapon has a primary fire, secondary fire (usually bringing up sights for guns), and a special action.

Veteran: Kinda feels like the equivalent of the elf, in that they can rely on their ranged weapon for most of the map. The active ability gives a small zoom and a reduction to ranged fire recoil for a few seconds.
- Lasgun: Powerful and accurate semi-auto gun, will kill poxwalkers in one hit and tougher enemies in one headshot. Great for taking down specials from long range and decent at thinning out hordes. Special is a flashlight.
- Chainsword: Quite similar to a regular Vermintide sword, versatile and quick with decent damage, but somewhat limited range/arcs. The special lets you rev up the engine which causes the next attack to saw into/through your target, great for killing specials in one hit.
- Explosive grenade: It's a grenade that explodes.

Zealot: All about getting in close and disrupting hordes, like certain Dwarf and Soldier builds in Vermintide. Active ability is a short-ranged charge that bowls over enemies, good for getting out of tight spots or helping out teammats
- Autogun: Rapid-fire assault rifle. Can both thin out crowds and pour a lot of damage into single enemies in a hurry, but the recoil makes it somewhat shorter-ranged. Also runs out of ammo way quicker than the lasgun. Special is a flashlight.
- Power Hammer: Crowd control machine, great for keeping entire groups of enemies constantly on their rear end with wide charged swings. Special attack charges up the hammerhead, causing the next hit to have even greater impact that can knock down even an ogryn.
- Fire grenade: Blankets a whole are in fire for a while, also much like the Vermintide version.

Psyker: Pretty similar to Vermintide's mage. Instead of using ammo, most attacks build up a Peril gauge that will just kill you when it reaches 100%, but slowly reduces on its own. Their active ability is an AoE stagger that also resets peril back to zero. At least in this test, easily the most complex class with the most stuff going on.
- Force Staff: Primary fire lets you shoot powerful projectiles with a bit of travel time that kill can kill most regular enemies in one hit. Secondary charges up a ground-based explosion that gets a bigger radius and damage the longer you charge. The special move is a melee bonk with middling damage.
- Force Sword: Again pretty much just a sword, seeming to do somewhat less damage than the chainsword. Its special lets you charge it up with psychic energy at a fairly heavy peril cost, but in return the next attack does incredible damage.
- Psychic "grenade": Not actually a grenade even though it occupies the same slot and icon. Instead it's basically another "weapon" where the psyker channels their power directly into an enemy's head. Doing that stuns lesser enemies while a gauge charges up, and once the gauge is full their head goes pop. Larger enemies may not be stunned or instantly killed, but it still causes them huge damage. Alternate fire lets you charge the gauge ahead of time to unload into an enemy instantly, though this builds up peril pretty quickly.

Ogryn: Didn't get around to playing him :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh, I didn't realize grenades were tied to class, I thought they were just a pickup like in regular VT.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Interesting, I wanted to play a veteran from a lore point of view, but elf was my least favourite class. I guess I'll wait and see what the builds are like, I was hoping guardsmen would be more like footknight with decent ranged but not a ranged focus. Maybe I'll play zealot if they offer decent support abilities.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It felt like there are more ranged enemies, unlike in Vermintide being able to pick off guys from afar was nice.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I assume there'll be subclasses again, curious to see what they are.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mordja posted:

Weren't subclasses explicitly confirmed as not being a thing?

Pretty sure that was said in this very thread.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mordja posted:

I heard they were going to add more characters in lieu of subclasses. I guess it makes sense for the setting, there are probably a lot of convicts in a city of 10 billion

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think that was the VT2 thread

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Off the top of my head I think they've said that rather than subclasses, abilities will be tied to equipment? I think the aim is more open ended customisation.

For those in the beta, if you can say, is there still the same perk system (or whatever you call it with the three choices every five levels) as vermintide?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

field balm posted:

Off the top of my head I think they've said that rather than subclasses, abilities will be tied to equipment? I think the aim is more open ended customisation.

For those in the beta, if you can say, is there still the same perk system (or whatever you call it with the three choices every five levels) as vermintide?

There wasn't any equipment/loadout customization available yet in this beta, so a big :iiam: on that aspect.

That said, there was a small hint that subclasses might be a thing. In the overview screens before and after a mission, each player had a two-part title with both their class and another term like "Psyker Biomancer" or "Veteran Grunt". The second part may be indicating the current subclass, but it might also just be a rank thing for how high your level is.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 14, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really liked the halo shield mechanic. You get a small shield buff if you stay near your team mates, so there's a reward for not going off on your own rather than just punishing you for walking off.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I am slightly concerned that running around quasi-industrial zones may get dull in comparisom to the range of environments you see in Vermintide.

Similarly, dark creatures in darkly lit areas are annoyingly hard to spot.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Deptfordx posted:

I am slightly concerned that running around quasi-industrial zones may get dull in comparisom to the range of environments you see in Vermintide.

Similarly, dark creatures in darkly lit areas are annoyingly hard to spot.

Depends on their creativity. There's lots of stuff you can do with hives. It's just that most developers never do anything but "gritty series of tunnels with a few set pieces".

Hives are supposed to be military industrial megaplexes on top of being decaying population centers. They also have vast strata of nobility. Likewise, lots of hives have places where entire zones have gone forgotten, to the point where you can sometimes even find vehicles and debris from old invasions of the hive.

Also, the aesthetics are sometimes unbelievably hosed even when it is generic hive stuff.

Look up that last game that took place in a hive and you'll find what I can only describe as a hellish train whose engine is overloading like Chernobyl, that is piloted via a naval ship's wheel (which is madly turning all over the place because of course it is). Said train also appears to be a bullet train you fight across.

One mission could take you through a series of generic tunnels. The next could be in the noble halls of family whatever the gently caress. One after that could be in one of the power generation plants filled with explosive stuff. The next could be in the streets and hab blocks of a residential zone complete with evidence of the Arbites trying to contain things and failing. And that doesn't even count outside (or underground if we get poo poo like Necrons or Tyranids at some point) the hive itself.

Now if they have done that I don't know. But it would be disappointing if we get another Space Hulk.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 14, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Archonex posted:

Look up that last game that took place in a hive and you'll find what I can only describe as a hellish train whose engine is overloading like Chernobyl, that is piloted via a naval ship's wheel (which is madly turning all over the place because of course it is). Said train also appears to be a bullet train you fight across.

One mission could take you through a series of generic tunnels. The next could be in the noble halls of family whatever the gently caress. One after that could be in one of the power generation plants filled with explosive stuff. The next could be in the streets and hab blocks of a residential zone complete with evidence of the Arbites trying to contain things and failing. And that doesn't even count outside (or underground if we get poo poo like Necrons or Tyranids at some point) the hive itself.

Now if they have done that I don't know. But it would be disappointing if we get another Space Hulk.

You're thinking of Necromunda Underhive, a flawed game but one with some really cool locations. I'm not too worried, Fatshark has shown they can really vary things up with VT.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
If they're doing character archetypes rather than subclasses, that could open a lot of fun itself depending on how creative they get. Imagine played a Catachan jungle fighter or a something like a Space Marine Scout who somehow got separated from the rest of his squad.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

IthilionTheBrave posted:

If they're doing character archetypes rather than subclasses, that could open a lot of fun itself depending on how creative they get. Imagine played a Catachan jungle fighter or a something like a Space Marine Scout who somehow got separated from the rest of his squad.

The Catachan's just here because he heard there was a good fight on Atoma, commissars who try to discipline them don't tend to last long :colbert:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Perestroika posted:

- Lasgun: Powerful and accurate semi-auto gun, will kill poxwalkers in one hit and tougher enemies in one headshot. Great for taking down specials from long range and decent at thinning out hordes. Special is a flashlight.
GOTY

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

The Catachan's just here because he heard there was a good fight on Atoma, commissars who try to discipline them don't tend to last long :colbert:

Joke Option: An Ork who met a Catachan once and was impressed enough he now tries to emulate them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Joke Option: An Ork who met a Catachan once and was impressed enough he now tries to emulate them.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Snikrot?so=search

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

All I want to know is if there is a flamer and a bolt gun that can be used. I just want to purge the unclean in holy fire!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Termyie posted:

All I want to know is if there is a flamer and a bolt gun that can be used. I just want to purge the unclean in holy fire!

since bardon and sienna both had some sort of flamer equivalent I would 99% expect a flamer variant (I feel like one heard that the zealot would have a hand flamer? not sure).

Bolters are THE 40k gun so I'd expect to see at least bolt pistols. I'm not that good on the lore but I'm not sure if regular sized humans (ie not marines) use the full size ones.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
IIRC, the question is less "can ordinary humans use bolters" and more "can we afford to give ordinary humans bolters instead of the cheaper lasgun/autogun"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think they make smaller bolters for regular humans, yeah. Like the stuff the SoB use.

E: You could use a bolter in Necromunda Hired Gun

Mordja fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 23, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I keep forgetting hired gun existed. That was a fun game! I just remember my friend watching me stream and she got progressively angrier as I modded my dog up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah there are human sized bolters. In the fluff they're not as strong as Astartes pattern bolters but they operate on the same principles. In game terms they're identical.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is there a voice option that's just "none" or a series of grunts and misc. noises? faceless voiceless veteran blastin' fools like a 90s boomer shooter appeals to me a lot

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mordja posted:

I think they make smaller bolters for regular humans, yeah. Like the stuff the SoB use.

E: You could use a bolter in Necromunda Hired Gun

40k Inquisitor - Martyr which just has human sized inquisitors had bolters too, and one of the more recent with actually satisfying bolter sounds too imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fishstick posted:

40k Inquisitor - Martyr which just has human sized inquisitors had bolters too, and one of the more recent with actually satisfying bolter sounds too imo.

Huh, looks like it's actually a rapid fire grenade launcher too.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Weapons in Inq martyr all had their own sets of abilities, Bolters had one with explosive ammo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fishstick posted:

Weapons in Inq martyr all had their own sets of abilities, Bolters had one with explosive ammo

Ah, so it's a Bolter. I thought that was the point of them, they fired tiny rockets filled with shrapnel.

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah there are human sized bolters. In the fluff they're not as strong as Astartes pattern bolters but they operate on the same principles. In game terms they're identical.

Yeah, lore wise if a human fired a bolter the recoil is supposed to tear their arms out of their sockets, in true 40k excessive fashion.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Bolter rounds are rocket-propelled but the ammo types themselves can vary from explosive, incendiary to straight kinetic, homing, shrapnel, implosion , anti-witch bullets, ... Standard bolter rounds are tiny explosives after penetration, not shrapnel

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fishstick posted:

Bolter rounds are rocket-propelled but the ammo types themselves can vary from explosive, incendiary to straight kinetic, homing, shrapnel, implosion , anti-witch bullets, ... Standard bolter rounds are tiny explosives after penetration, not shrapnel

No no, the shrapnel is the enemy after it explodes, I had it wrong. My bad.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

New trailer from Gamescom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF5g4-eOWZw

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
-Noticed a couple new guns, a revolver and a normal-sized shotgun (used by the Veteran I think?)
-The very brief clips of the character screen showed a "Veteran Grunt" and a "Psyker Biomancy." Maybe those are subclasses, if they do have them.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's not really biomancy if you can't turn yourself into a giant that makes the Ogryn look like a little baby, though maybe that's just Magnus and Eazy-E. It's probably just some minor support utility.

Good trailer though, loving that soundtrack.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 24, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mordja posted:

-Noticed a couple new guns, a revolver and a normal-sized shotgun (used by the Veteran I think?)
-The very brief clips of the character screen showed a "Veteran Grunt" and a "Psyker Biomancy." Maybe those are subclasses, if they do have them.

Yeah, those titles are the same that were also used in the technical test. Might well be indicators for subclasses, though they could also just be generic indicators of rank.

e: Whoever did the subtitles for the trailer had some fun:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 24, 2022

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

They could just be flavor names based on what Feats you pick, that tab was omitted in any of the clips of the customizer.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A very odd choice of voice actor for that trailer. Might just be me but it really doesn't fit my expectation for a 40k voice for some reason.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

its definitely inline with a trailer for a game show though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Big ol gameplay montage, different from the trailer earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQUjZhQqvAU. Soundscape and music are On Point