Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Alchenar posted:

I will be game pass until it's clear whether the game has legs or not.

Wouldn't you lose all your progress if you switch to steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Wouldn't you lose all your progress if you switch to steam?

Yeah but the way these games have worked is that progress through early levels is pretty rapid and the endgame grind is where you slowly get get from 90% to 99% of your character's potential.

If you have Game Pass then the obvious thing to do is to see if people are still playing after Christmas/NYE and if the game has passed that test of keeping people's attention then switch to Steam.

e: that's assuming the goon population doesn't have critical mass on game pass, or that Fatshark aren't making positive noises about getting crossplay to work.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kwolok posted:

Maps are only as interesting as they are dynamic when playing them over and over again. As such static tome placement is boring.

Apparently game pass and steam store cannot play together. What version of the game are most people playing? Is there a goon discord of PC steam players?

Anyone playing between the 17th and the 30th will be on steam. I think steam is probably going to have the initial goon momentum since anyone who already knows they want to play will get in on early access, and the second run "wait on the early adopter opinions before committing" will be a lot more mixed. Given the temporary nature of gamepass, I don't expect a huge following there or if there is that it'll die down a lot quicker than steam.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Internet Explorer posted:

Apparently we aren't the only ones wondering about this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/ymum3s/anyone_know_if_the_grimsrelicstomes_are_in_static/

This is a concern of mine as well. If they are going to be in a bunch of random places, now we are going to have people who take exploring every inch to the logical conclusion and not everyone in the group is going to want to do that.

I'm not sure exactly what their plans are, but I hope they do something that doesn't suck. Or at the very least are more open to changing it, unlike the tone/grim mechanics in Vermintide. Really is my only real complaint about the game.

I'm always worried about teams not testing games with randos online. This was a huge problem with early round tests of Back 4 Blood. I remember me and a few people constantly trying to say "The card system and large amount of pickups is going to suck with pubbies." We said that the round-start card-picking as it was would lead to most matches starting with people waiting in the safe rooms for minutes at a time, which turned out to be correct. We also said that having attachments with stats that you could pick up would cause analysis paralysis and killing the pace, which also turned out to be true. There were also things like specials not being distinct and other things that turned out to be common critiques after release and ended up getting fixed and/or reworked. But the devs kept insisting that everything tested well internally, i.e. among prepared groups testing the game in the same room as one another.

Then going further back, there was Killing Floor 2, which almost died on the vine in Early Access because of how the dev team was testing the game internally with prepared groups.

The tomes in Darktide obviously aren't as big of a deal as either of these two, but there is a problem with not accounting for online quickplay with these types of in-depth co-op games. I can also just see the runs now where there's the one player a mile behind in DT's large, sprawling levels, looking in every corner and uuugh.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Vermintide 2 steam community is still huge and never died. Even after launch dropped off there were always thousands of people playing at once. There's already a goon community on Steam and many active discord servers. People accumulate hundreds or thousands of hours in the game just like Left for Dead 2.

If you just want to play Darktide for a month or two gamepass is fine, but the community that endures for years is going to be on steam because all the existing Vermintide 2 fanatics already have their groups, friends lists, and discords centered on steam and will be playing Darktide 2 with the same people.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
First time ITT and disappointed that it’s not 40 pages of Immortal Imperium links:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ozcKqF4E8

poo poo slaps.

Game was fun, all the classes play differently enough to be interesting. Excited to see the end product.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Kwolok posted:

Maps are only as interesting as they are dynamic when playing them over and over again. As such static tome placement is boring.

Apparently game pass and steam store cannot play together. What version of the game are most people playing? Is there a goon discord of PC steam players?

From what I've seen most appear to be going steam because eventually it will come off game pass

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm always worried about teams not testing games with randos online. This was a huge problem with early round tests of Back 4 Blood. I remember me and a few people constantly trying to say "The card system and large amount of pickups is going to suck with pubbies." We said that the round-start card-picking as it was would lead to most matches starting with people waiting in the safe rooms for minutes at a time, which turned out to be correct. We also said that having attachments with stats that you could pick up would cause analysis paralysis and killing the pace, which also turned out to be true. There were also things like specials not being distinct and other things that turned out to be common critiques after release and ended up getting fixed and/or reworked. But the devs kept insisting that everything tested well internally, i.e. among prepared groups testing the game in the same room as one another.

Then going further back, there was Killing Floor 2, which almost died on the vine in Early Access because of how the dev team was testing the game internally with prepared groups.

The tomes in Darktide obviously aren't as big of a deal as either of these two, but there is a problem with not accounting for online quickplay with these types of in-depth co-op games. I can also just see the runs now where there's the one player a mile behind in DT's large, sprawling levels, looking in every corner and uuugh.

Like, I still laugh when playing Left 4 Dead 2 with developer commentary on with the amount of things they dumbed down on due to test feedback, but their analysis of how to make things visually easy to read and keeping players moving was spot on.

Vermintide 1 + 2 deals with some of the gear paralysis and such by just not having in-run gear changes. You pick in what you use at the start and you can fuss with it between runs.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The main thing I learned from my gig playtesting [board]games was that if I felt a mechanic had depth then it was too convoluted to play well with the general public.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Woah holy poo poo! Vermintide 2 is free to download and keep on steam! everyone get it while we still have the chance! this way we can judge for ourselves the differences in gameplay!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/?utm_source=some&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=f2k

I'm absolutely jumping in and gonna try this game while I wait for darktide! I purchased the entire content bundle for like 15 bucks so I can experience everything the game has to offer.

Now that I have Vermintide 2 I will now get those cool skins and cosmetics for Darktide! fancy moustaches for the veteran and dwarf beards for the ogryn!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 7, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fatshark having a good month so far

Vermintide 2 is also #9 on Steam's global sales chart, which I assume is all DLC since the game is currently free

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 7, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah all the DLC put together is 20 dollars with the free base game, it’s an absolute steal, I’m very excited to play the game when I get home today to see if the hype was real!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you need to play a round of ratbash for the Darktide stuff or just log in

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im just gonna play v2 since i never realized there was a l4d successor and by the time i remember the new one itll be all the dlc in a pack at once. sigmar mindset

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got the crew back together for VT2 last night and yeah that game still owns, turns out. I really like the changes they've made to the crafting menus. Too bad none of that will be in Darktide lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

explosivo posted:

Got the crew back together for VT2 last night and yeah that game still owns, turns out. I really like the changes they've made to the crafting menus. Too bad none of that will be in Darktide lol

Pretty sure its what plasteel is for.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sharkopath posted:

Pretty sure its what plasteel is for.

Oh i'm sure they have crafting, I just like the changes they've made to the menus in VT2 where you can now hit a button in your equipped inventory to see a detailed stat breakdown of your weapon and let you reroll/upgrade from there, while showing you possible reroll options for each slot. Used to have to do it all through the crafting menu and it was confusing at times. Maybe it'll be like that in Darktide, who knows.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

toasterwarrior posted:

Do you need to play a round of ratbash for the Darktide stuff or just log in

No clue, Im assuming they can just look at V2 ownership on steam rather than requiring you to log in?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

why not just open it up and play a couple matches of VT2 though? I'm gonna try it tonight, we still have like three weeks before the early beta so why not try it a little?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fishstick posted:

No clue, Im assuming they can just look at V2 ownership on steam rather than requiring you to log in?

Looks like its just based on ownership, yeah.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

why not just open it up and play a couple matches of VT2 though? I'm gonna try it tonight, we still have like three weeks before the early beta so why not try it a little?

100 gigs of hard drive space is the issue for me.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

apostateCourier posted:

It's 'only' 80 gb since last patch :v:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

apostateCourier posted:

I got some bad news about Darktide then. The beta was 30+ gigs and that was 4 levels and like 1/3rd of the weapons.

Assuming they have the same amount of missions as vt2, there will be like 14 total plus all the cosmetics and such. I could see Darktide at launch matching if not exceeding Vermintide 2 + DLC / post launch stuff.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Opening Vermintide 2 now, let’s see what people were talking about with this game!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's 'only' 80 gb since last patch :v:

That’s only a quarter of a Call of Duty! Wow!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I picked Vermintide back up after playing the Darktide beta and I can't stop playing it. It's just so much fun. It does this to me every god drat time.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

gently caress the emperor, praise sigmar who actually set up his people for success by really liking roads and taxes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Going back to VT2 really does hit home the fact that the level design in VT2 is incredible and some of the sights/vistas you get are pretty amazing. Sincerely hoping for more varied areas in Darktide, I know we've seen concept art that seems to indicate there will be but we haven't really seen anything definitively. Walking into the ritual site at the end of Convocation of Decay is just such a cool visual.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

DeathSandwich posted:

I got some bad news about Darktide then. The beta was 30+ gigs and that was 4 levels and like 1/3rd of the weapons.

Assuming they have the same amount of missions as vt2, there will be like 14 total plus all the cosmetics and such. I could see Darktide at launch matching if not exceeding Vermintide 2 + DLC / post launch stuff.

Hopefully theyve learned from their VT2 cheesewheel issue since in terms of map objects

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

explosivo posted:

Going back to VT2 really does hit home the fact that the level design in VT2 is incredible and some of the sights/vistas you get are pretty amazing. Sincerely hoping for more varied areas in Darktide, I know we've seen concept art that seems to indicate there will be but we haven't really seen anything definitively. Walking into the ritual site at the end of Convocation of Decay is just such a cool visual.

There's a twitter gif somewhere of a psyker (it's gameplay) in front of a huge upper crust cathedral house on the top of world with orbital defense guns going off in the background

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
A beautiful upper hive level jungle garden for the nobility half-overrun with strange Nurgle plants and insects would be a great opportunity to get creative and still fit the setting. Get in there to stop a ritual and protect a nearby nobilis hab section from the creeping corruption, get a bunch of awed and cranky voice lines from the rejects who finally get to see how the other half lives

"No Ogryn, you cannot eat the pretty fruit. It wants to eat you back."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

explosivo posted:

If this last beta played out like the vt1/2 beta, what we got was the first act, which is the rising tension part. Like the equivalent of vt1 Horn of Magnus, Smugglers Run, and Wizard tower. All taking place in the city center close to the inn before the heroes have broken out to help in the larger struggle.

For Darktide, we're starting at the core of the industrial sector near where the whole thing kicked off if the cinematics are to be believed. It stands to reason the later acts will branch out from the industrial areas and indeed it looks like if the leaks are correct there will be at least some missions in the upper level of the spires targeting noble sectors, government centers, ect.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vermintide 2 makes a really awesome first impression, and I now understand what people were talking about with regards to Characters, these are fully fleshed out actual named characters with very specific personalities you're playing as, and it makes sense that in transitioning to the character creator direction in Darktide they had to generalize their personalities somewhat so it doesnt feel as specific as VT2

also the game crashed in the first five minutes so the FatShark is real.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Vermintide 2 also has the best free dlc to play with friends that basically lets you completely ignore the gearing system with a roguelite progression through the chaos wastes instead with random buffs and other things. And it doesn't look like any form of it is returning which is pretty drat sad imo.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I really like vt2 characterization, especially how the group is mostly verbally supportive of each other. gently caress kerillian tho. Toxic and kills the vibe. Give me auntie sienna congratulating everyone for genocide while bardin is murdervibing the whole time

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm really gonna miss the VT crew; characterization is probably my #1 concern when it comes to Darktide (other than them getting too greedy with monetization, :fatshark: does get there eventually with their games so I fully expect Darktide to be great even if it has a rocky start).

Just throw Larian the Vermintide license and let them make a U5 CRPG.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would play the hell out of that. Or an ARPG that is good. Looking at you, Chaosbane.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also man thinking about early Vermintide jank is still the best. I reminded myself of this just a little bit ago.

https://youtu.be/m8QGGoEav40

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Characters will be the #1 thing I miss with VT. So much dialogue in games/movies/TV feels off these days, but I always liked the VT dialogue. That, and the voice acting is incredible for a group of people who aren't even well-known names in the VA world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So with this Darktide around the corner and this Vermintide 2 pseudo renaissance, do y'all reckon we should try to consolidate threads/discords to have a more centralized "*Tide" goon community?

The VT2 thread points to the goontide discord, this thread points to the co-op discord, and I've seen folks in this thread the steam thread and the VT2 thread mention grabbing VT2 recently and wanting to get some games going, but feels like everyone's just going off on their own which is kind of a shame?