Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

X JAKK posted:

Gameplay footage of Gotham Knights is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjFFzgT8YOA

So freeflow combat is gone, instead we get the generic industry standard 3 light hits or hold for heavy hit melee, no counters, just dodge, and presumably predator encounters are out too, and the gameplay in this video was GODAWFUL, so Im confused on what im supposed to be excited for.

lol this just like any of the batman city games I played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You should buy them on a real platform that counts and play them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's not really a time period that WoW doesn't already already have built in to itself. They got stonage crap to scifi spaceship poo poo. I guess only thing they don't have yet is like a modern city setting, but they have all the parts to make a WoW gta, cars, guns, machines, capitalists.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i still thin kthey should stop making new games till we played the ones we have

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is guitar taped to roof?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

As long as Norman Reedus doesn't rag along

wtf? you want to carry your own stuff or have the expert around??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Indie Peggle-StSlike Bundle Report:

Peglin is fun, but a little scant at the moment and kinda easy, and presentation-wise isn't totally the peggle package it could be. Giving it credit that the strategic side will come as they keep adding new classes and mechanics.

Roundguard is a fuller game, better presentation but are missing peg-slides. But the game itself is a fun Peggleish adventure, the StS format is a good excuse for peggle levels and the different classes all have unique enough mechanics that really mix up the same battles/boards compared ot another class. Just beat the boss of a run on my first run as the magic class, less about pegglin' and more about good use of spells and lining up good angles for the your thunderbugs and stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

is this a twitter person roleplaying over some trailer footage or is that the actual audio quality and tone they're going to use in the game?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

That's the official Twitter account for the game and those are all lines we've heard in trailers for the game before.

lol so you saw a trailer like this before and clicked another one in the future?? good job

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
videogame protagonists should not speak unless spoken to

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC6FMNaIPUs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

I never knew there were different lines for each level because I never got past level 1

a lot of those were news to me, I loved the first Bubsy as a kid, idk why. I think part of me just wanted to master it, at the time I thought I just needed to get better at it, it didn't occur to me that the game was just horrible to control, weird camera, weird collision, bad level design. I remember getting "really far" on a few attempts, I thought I was near the end but there's like 3x more levels than I thought. I should go through with save states some day just to see it all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Also, (broad TemTem story spoilers if anyone cares)
It tricks you into thinking it's not a grimdark pokemon fangame, then halfway through is like 'heh, actually the temtem can be used as weapons to kill' and then becomes a grimdark pokemon fangame'

the game itself mechanically sucks so much I never go so far as registering any of the plot. You know all of the million different tweaks to the pokemon formula that would improve it immensely and make it more fun and less "guaranteed victory if mash a?" temtem does none of them and just doubles and triples down on some pokemon things that suck and then adds weird expensive time locked things to breed and level up monsters n poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
played a couple hours of Grounded with my buddy I played Valheim with. the crafting interface is janky and awkward which is doofy for a survival crafting game, but otherwise we had a lot of fun. The night spider attacks were more intense than anything in Valheim haha, but it was kinda annoying since it basically spawn camped us the entire first night. Still, one day we'll be wearing full spider armour and have our revenge.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
shouldnt dedicated mmo players just know their hotkeys and timings by muscle memory at some point. In WoW at least felt like even getting top parses was a pretty rote activity, seems like you could have a nice clean game screen without lookin like grandma's internet explorer from 2001

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really relied on that stuff and also the rotation mod UI had that basically told me what to hit and when but I'm a scrub trying to boost my way to the middle of the parse. IDK about FF14 but WoW also had plenty of ways to tweak the UI so stuff like charges/stacks would be graphical indicators wherever you wanted, off to the side or wherever with their own graphics.

I guess what I want to see is someone who knows their buttons and timings so well they needn't have the UI at all for the most part. however what few clips ive ever seen of high end raiding ,they seem to lean towards adding excel to the UI over cleaning any of it up

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I have 3 drat monitors, including one that has pen functionality, and our PC games still don't have Dual-Screen or Triple-Screen set-up like the DS had. Imagine FF14 if all your dang iconsand widgets were on the other monitors, got inventory always open on bottom screem, switch to map, etc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SeXReX posted:

The whole genre of survival game Minecraft clone is basically dual screen because you need the wiki open the entire time you play to make any headway

i was really proud of myself for playing Grounded for a couple hours and never looking up a wiki. This morning I was like "hmm i should google that thingy i found i dont know what it does" but NO. i will figure it out or not in game. gotta stop the wiki buck somewheres

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baller Time posted:

It's very cool that these days if you want to look up something for a game the first 10 search results are these half auto generated sites that are 2 paragraphs of non information and one relevant line that itself is also useless

do you remember in school when they told us how to write newspaper style. like headline biggest info, first line of text giving expanded most relevant details. then basically work your way down to the least useful information and details last. You'd get graded on if the first paragraph had all the important who/what/where/why/how questions, they'd make you highlight the same in professional newspaper articles to quiz you etc.

i wonder when exactly writers just gave up on all that. Who was like hmm let's bring that yellow journalism back and then also mix in a blog post nobody wants to read.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
well gently caress al then

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Search engines don't read like humans do

send the search engine to elementary school they literally teach you how to read step by step its ez

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

Playstations are actually very useful when the PC port of a game has a lot of crashes or other major issues. All the time, in other words.

these days it's more the game runs great on your PC but some weird dweeb with a dusty old voodoofx card insists that the game's performance is terrible and it's terrible for everyone no matter what

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
kill gun shooting games. we get it already. we've all seen it, done it, there's nothing new left to do with guns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

That piano was a bit unnerving. I bet there is a way to make it go and get a hidden star! :)

Also yes. I did because I wanted to rewatch it in horror at my inability to get to grips with the jump system. (I am much better now!)

https://clips.twitch.tv/SmokyProductivePotMau5-OJgPs-nB9SO-un7w

thought it was as a video of a blindfolded speedrun going awry

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Has anyone here played the Ni No Kuni rpgs? I've heard mixed things but I've been thinking about giving them a shot. Any opinions?

First one was worth playing if only to see the combat system, basically "what if pokemon battles were fun and active, but also you're a baby wizard." I really loved the game's combat system, it was also very pretty, but all of the other RPG elements were painful. The story wasn't engaging and every activity was accompanied by a tutorial showing you what to do no matter how many times you've done it before. And while the combat system owns, having grind battles over and over, just to progress at some points, really drags it down.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 20, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i tried to play a couple saints rows a few times but there is way way way too much shooting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's fun to swing around

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The difficulty on the hardest setting is nice too, easy to die if you're just not even trying but you still feel super if you are dodging the spider sense alerts and taking care of the annoying stuff. Nothing beats chucking people off skyscrapers, especially once the city is overrun with annoying snipers and rocket freaks.

I also really like how people with a gun or a shield are so obsessed with it if you remove it, they will do nothing but try and pick it back up. I just keep stealing it from them. The last mook alive also gets a special treatment of just the lightest punch every few seconds to keep him interuppted. Like, run away dude what're gonna do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat all the others were terrible but i really thought this would be the one to not be

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you know you'll play a game, don't look anything up for it until you do, avoid all opinions. if you're unsure, that's when you look to see if it's worth your time (it almost never is if you're not sure from the getgo)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

also weren't they constantly wiping saves after beta patches at one point? I probably wouldn't make anything but Default Guy if I was coming back to it over and over to try out some small change or another, and it's not the user's fault if they set Default Guy as "Generic White Man" lol

this isnt some big details deragon's dogma character creator. you pick a race, boobs on or off, and then you get like 6 options for the face and some other stuff. The character models all look good but there are very few options so even if your save got deleted and you wanted to rush making a new character, it wouldn't save any time or thought whatsoever to select generic white guy over a yellow goblin lady or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's a reason the "default" AAA mode is that sort of third person cinematic game with prestige aspirations now

like what? granted I don't gently caress with AAA that much but AFAIK the default AAA is still that whole open world whatever style of game + whatever f2p type trash folks keep shoving under their fingernails

i guess maybe god of war would fall under that?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people like collecting audio logs

i like them over text logs since you can hear them while you play, unless they're assholes and make it proximity based like in Spiderman. both audio and text logs stretch credulity but i mostly just accept it as part of videogameness, same way you just accept movieness stuff about movies. scattered 1 entry logs scattered around the world aside, what I really yearn for is MGS3 style radio calls with a cast who have their own perspectives on every weird thing you do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
games is good games is bad either way im getting mad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just 100% the main part of spiderman, fun game they should really add some better photo taking minigame depth, I want my good shots to be worth something and for them to reject the ones I took directly into a wall apparently pointing at some other thing beyond the building. Would also be fun to set up webbed cameras to take good shots of yourself to sell the bugle or something. Oh, speaking of, I only found 10/50 of the bugle covers, idk what the deal was, I'd check 12 in a row and get the same poo poo, seemed random when I'd get a new one.

Anyhow, how's the DLC, just an excuse to do more of the same or do they have unique bosses and gimmicks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I recall Cyberpunk had a goofy talking gun at one point and it was a fun little comic relief storyline and the gun was fun to use and it didn't overstay its welcome.

I liked R&M and Solar Opposites but big difference in dosage between one normal cartoon episode length and a videogame that will take many many hours and maybe even have you repeating the same poo poo over and over. Plus those shows have other writers whose comedic voices keep it from being nonstop shouting garbage patch kids roiland stuff.

It's gonna be hard to be unexpected enough to funny if everything is a constant stream of the same sort of material. A gun horny for violence shooting out of it's orifice doesn't need a knife horny for stabbing for a scene partner.

and look, like, leave some room for the player to laugh at the amusing things without the thing screaming at you to know its aware of its own absurdity. the original Prey had a ton of vagina doors and butthole hatches and weirdo flesh guns, and in a game without much class or restraint, they managed to not have the protagonist moan and make sex or fart jokes everytime he walked through a room on the alien spaceship. and you still got to have some laughs when some rude alien thing pops out of a fleshy floor-twat to spook ya and you fight it with a ghost bird and a grenade launcher that's also a nasty grub.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

This info was vital to my enjoyment of the game, as Silver ratings usually require something like "you have to try but you can still have fun" levels of effort, while getting a Gold ratings pretty much means "you must perform absolutely pixel perfectly in a game that is not in any way designed to be played with that level of precision in mind, and that otherwise doesn't come within an order of magnitude of the same accuracy demands at any other point."

Yeah I got enough to get all the suits, there was one gold I chased way too many times and I'm still not sure what I did wrong. It was a glider one, like, I'd get every blue orb, fast, I knew the route so well I could probably beat the drone if it wasn't rubberbanded. I got perfect streaks so many times and got to the end faster and faster and it seemed to not matter, never got higher than silver on it. Everything else I can tell what I needed to do better, I got gold on all the other glider missions pretty easily, I just enjoyed the minigame. Just this one random one, which I feel I can do better than any single other challenge in the game, refuses to acknowledge me. Taskmaster pls is this an impractical joker thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Spider-man is one of the few games where I avoid the fast travel because swinging in the city is just so much fun. Pulling off the tricks and seeing how fast I can go is incredibly satisfying. In fact, I would say it has one of the best movement styles in the whole of video gaming.

My one gripe is that swinging is so fun I basically never spent any time walking on street level and they actually put a ton of nice detail down there. Not quite Yakuza but I mean pretty close for such a massively bigger space to shrink down. Anyway, please add web slinging to next Yakuza game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Nintendo dream is they flop out of the console business like Sega and just focus on the one thing they do well, making games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was going to buy a game today but then I checked out their official discord and yikes it was a bad look what was wrong with how mIRC looked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i've never heard anyone actually talk about the game ooblets or recommend it for its gameplay so who cares about those scrubs.

also you are entitled to any and all art that can be infinitely reproduced. I don't deserve to play games more just because I can afford to buy them, not like there's much sense to how much money anybody has.