Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What sort of stuff would be expected to be in one of those documents? Exact US missile sub patrols? Names of highly placed informants in China? NSA capabilities?

The highest stuff I touched was a single TS book. It had things in exacting detail about certain things that I will not even mention. Even the regular Secret and slightly higher stuff I read was very detailed information and knowing that we had that kind of detail all by itself could reveal a crapload of things.

Multiple ts/sci docs just laying around blows my loving mind.

Anyone else that was found to have documents like this would not be able to talk about it on social media because they would be locked up tight and only allowed to talk to a lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s actually, counterintuitively, the other way around now. Collateral Top Secret material is logged and accounted for by a TSCO (Top Secret Control Officer) and dealt with as you describe.

SCI is routinely handled and dealt with inside of SCIF’s in a manner somewhat similar to how collateral secret is in a secure area. You don’t have to sign for SCI documents inside a SCIF, there’s no routine physical paper trail or auditing of the viewing of most categories of SCI documents.

There is for some SAP’s, and for collateral Top Secret, and cryptographic material. Not so much 99% of SCI.

I know, seems goofy. Almost everyone with a TS clearance also has SCI access of some form or another. However it’s a very limited number of people who are exposed to/deal with collateral Top Secret. Nuke Emergency War Orders are collateral Top Secret for instance. You just very rarely see collateral TS outside nukes, subs, and some SOF.

My experience with classified info is slightly different from what someone on a base would see. The entire boat is a SECRET space. Things have probably changed in some ways because of cameras/video being in reach of anyone with a phone but I doubt the navy would ever drop the signing in/out of things.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ded posted:

Anyone else that was found to have documents like this would not be able to talk about it on social media because they would be locked up tight and only allowed to talk to a lawyer.

Why are people so mean?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

My experience with classified info is slightly different from what someone on a base would see. The entire boat is a SECRET space. Things have probably changed in some ways because of cameras/video being in reach of anyone with a phone but I doubt the navy would ever drop the signing in/out of things.

I know, seems goofy. Almost everyone with a TS clearance also has SCI access of some form or another. However it’s a very limited number of people who are exposed to/deal with collateral Top Secret. Nuke Emergency War Orders are collateral Top Secret for instance. You just very rarely see collateral TS outside nukes, subs, and some SOF.

I mean, subs are boats.. right?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also my experience is coming up on being a decade old.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

I've finally put my finger on the Trump legal strategy.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1565155656654409728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HzFszONReo&t=164s

oops, all witnesses/lawyers/indictees!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVejEB5uVk

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i supposedly had a secret clearance due to HIPA being a thing? (i was a medic)

idk our company paperwork weasel had me sign something randomly one day and said that was why

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i supposedly had a secret clearance due to HIPA being a thing? (i was a medic)

idk our company paperwork weasel had me sign something randomly one day and said that was why

Secret clearance is a national agency background check for red flags, and a signed NDA (the thing you signed) away for anyone that needs it.

Like, you can have a Secret clearance in a matter of days. We all know how long TS takes.

There are also interim clearances which some OCA’s can grant.

Classification poo poo and security is… mind numbing. Positively mind numbing. They make cool classified stuff boring, and into something you are loathe to deal with.

I know I can’t be the only one that feels that way.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I basically get where you're coming from, but again: PDs have the budgets of small militaries, but no money to calibrate breathalyzers in squad cars regularly?

At the end of the day, this still foregoes having an objective test result from an unbiased device in favor of Johnny Hoglet testifying that someone was drunk and his opinion was pinky-promise not influenced by any form of bias/racism/incompetence/donuts/etc.

That requires a level of trust in LEOs that i do not have in TYOOL 2022.

This is why I like bodycams. The video doesn't lie, so you know they're not lying (unless the officer stupidly doesn't get the correct angle to see the person’s feet or eyes). This is usually solved by having 2 officers watch the person so you have multiple angles.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My reaction to getting access to stuff at the TS/SCI level was much like a cat getting thrown into a tub of water.

gently caress dealing with that poo poo and lol trump's lawyers are absolutely hosed, they're likely to themselves be targets of any indictments regarding this info if they had access to it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

My reaction to getting access to stuff at the TS/SCI level was much like a cat getting thrown into a tub of water.

gently caress dealing with that poo poo and lol trump's lawyers are absolutely hosed, they're likely to themselves be targets of any indictments regarding this info if they had access to it.

In my line of work you didn’t just have to have access to TS/SCI, but you usually were a security manager, special security officer, and crypto responsible officer.

A week of that will make you either A) Try desperately to get out of that job or B) Make you feel like you literally can’t live a normal life without maintaining a clearance and access.

A lot more people in Intel go B. We’d have literally no NCO’s without all the idiots taking the red pill.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Do you think there is never any research done on jurors in big cases?

I think that trying a popular ex-president imposes a unique and unsolved issue into the jury trial process, yes.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 1, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They have to come to an agreement on which jurors to toss during Voir dire. You absolutely can toss someone for their politics.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grip it and rip it posted:

Are you under the impression that Trump supporters couldn't serve on his jury or something?

Same question but from me.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

They have to come to an agreement on which jurors to toss during Voir dire. You absolutely can toss someone for their politics.

You don’t have to have a reason at all, actually. But there are limits. And the pool of jurors isn’t infinite.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Casimir Radon posted:

Both sides get to arbitrarily kick a set number of jurors and can challenge as many jurors for cause as they can manage within the timeframe set for voir dire. Even if every Trump supporter was wearing a Trump hat during jury selection, there is no guarantee that you would be able to remove them all.

Republicans also seem to discuss jury nullification much more openly and frequently than Dems do, at least insofar as I have seen online. The whole thing would 100% be a loving zoo, and one juror is all it takes to get an acquittal.

Then there is the fact that the Trump admin are obviously not above blackmail or bribing a juror. Then you have foreign interests who might want to tip the scales of justice, etc etc etc. The whole thing would likely be a massive loving quagmire.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 1, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Looking at that MAL photo, I'd never actually seen an HCS-P cover sheet in the wild. Didn't know they had that kind of border lol. I've seen all sorts of products in my years as a cleared employee but all the spicy stuff was on computers, and we never printed it out unless there was a pressing need to do so.

Also, can confirm that access at that level makes you loathe the fact that you know the things you know, and the responsibility makes you want to just remove the things from your memory so you don't have to worry about them.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

I mean, subs are boats.. right?

We usually dont have to tell people to not talk about doms.

You know what makes me sad about this? We know aliens aren't real because donnie didn't try to sell them secrets or threaten them like the french.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Classification poo poo and security is… mind numbing. Positively mind numbing. They make cool classified stuff boring, and into something you are loathe to deal with.

I know I can’t be the only one that feels that way.

Yeah I don't have a security clearance but when I've looked at old USN records at NARA I have to put a little paper tag on any photos I take because they're declassified documents. I'm talking like preliminary design requirements for warships that were scrapped 80+ years ago and a 1917 ONI file on Erich von Stroheim.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ded posted:

AFAICT (not very far, I'm a lowly SECRET clearance haver) the handling of TS/SCI didn't change appreciably between my first deployment in 2014 and my last one in 2021. Obviously smart phones are excluded from the ER, and any of the typical locations on the boat that handle/generate TS poo poo. The one big change is you have to factory reset your phone before coming in to port (and yes, you have to "practice" by doing it during workups too) because The Adversary might use the chip that changes your screen orientation to track the ship's movement :rolleyes:

I think the one great time to be a Nuke is when radio or JOs gently caress up and mishandle that stuff, it's the one time they faced the same sort of consequences as we did when we messed up back aft.

ded posted:

I think the greatest irony of all this is that it might be the single worst security breach in US history, and I don't think Donny has a single loving clue what any of those documents say, besides they have the big beautiful color-coded "this is important" cover sheets on them.

The US does have a rich history of dipshit politicians divulging classified material, the one that springs to mind is the senator during WWII that told the press "the Japanese can't sink our submarines because they don't know how deep they can dive!" Which directly lead to a bunch of submarines being lost because they couldn't just dive to max depth below where the fuses on Japanese depth charges were set.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I sincerely hope access to UFO records is behind some obscenely deep level that the president can't just go flipping through casually on a tuesday with a big mac in his other hand, and requires summoning some manner of bureaucratic demon that has worked for the government since the Ford administration to grant access.

I'm more interested in the bigfoot files anyhow.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

some manner of bureaucratic demon that has worked for the government since the Ford administration to grant access.

I'm more interested in the bigfoot files anyhow.

They put an end to those because of J.Edger Hoover. The long serving bureaucracy demons, not bigfoot. Bigfoot leaves no trace.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Steezo posted:

They put an end to those because of J.Edger Hoover. The long serving bureaucracy demons, not bigfoot. Bigfoot leaves no trace.

My man, Rickover J. Edgar’d the United States Navy for decades long after we reformed the FBI post Hoover. Those demons absolutely still exist. They’re SES’s and GG/GS-15’s.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Steezo posted:

We usually dont have to tell people to not talk about doms.

You know what makes me sad about this? We know aliens aren't real because donnie didn't try to sell them secrets or threaten them like the french.

When he threaten the french?

Elviscat posted:

The US does have a rich history of dipshit politicians divulging classified material, the one that springs to mind is the senator during WWII that told the press "the Japanese can't sink our submarines because they don't know how deep they can dive!" Which directly lead to a bunch of submarines being lost because they couldn't just dive to max depth below where the fuses on Japanese depth charges were set.

At least that dummy wasn't seemingly motivated by greedy or malice

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 1, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What if it turns out that the lurid details of Macron's sex life is the evidence of intelligent life?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

When he threaten the french?
At least that dummy wasn't seemingly motivated by greedy or malice

Stupidity works just as well as malice.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

I'm too stupid to do crime, too stupid to do crime ,
no way I'm doing time...

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, Jessica may have BERLIN as her last name, but anyone who claims the Verfassungsschutz is the "🇩🇪 FBI" is full of poo poo. :colbert:

That's an uncharitable take, no? Verfassungsschutz' task is to monitor domestic political threats to the country, which would be handled by the fbi in the us? She did say "sorta".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Goddamnit, that's not how any of that works, even if they're declassified, those documents don't magically become Donald Trump's property

aaaaah all of this dumb is making me irrationally angry

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They weren’t declassified which is why none of Donnie’s lawyers have put that into a brief filed with any court.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Secret clearance is a national agency background check for red flags, and a signed NDA (the thing you signed) away for anyone that needs it.

Like, you can have a Secret clearance in a matter of days.

Unless things have really changed, I think you may be referring to a NACI / public trust, not a Secret. As far as I've seen, Secret still takes months and a regular investigation, although an interim can be granted before it's completed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got a State Department TS back in 2012 in 3 months. Post-Snowden, my DoD SCI took 6 (getting read on took way longer). Apparently things got really bad in like 2017-2018. Like to the point where they were giving people accounts before interviews were ever completed. It sounds like they've gotten better since they stopped the mandatory reinvestigations, but I got out of the government racket around the time Trump got into office so I don't care anymore.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What sort of stuff would be expected to be in one of those documents? Exact US missile sub patrols? Names of highly placed informants in China? NSA capabilities?

Classification is based off of how much harm release could cause to the US.

Confidential if improperly released could cause harm to the US.

Secret if improperly released could cause great harm to the US.

Top Secret if improperly released could cause grave harm to the US.

Top Secret Special Compartmented Information (SCI) touches on specific means, methods, and sources of getting information. That requires additional caveats to a TS clearance and handling.

Special Access Programs are an even crazier thing themselves, where it has very limited individuals who have access to the information. People are read on to these programs, rosters are kept, and people are read off when they no longer have a need to know or lose their access.

That harm could be contingency plans, specific technologies, knowledge of adversaries, cryptography, knowledge of US strengths/weaknesses/vulnerabilities, or divulge sources/means/methods to collect intelligence.

So for example, it is unclassified that the US does signals intelligence. How it is done is pretty classified and what information has been collected is very classified.

So those documents... pretty bad. Like no poo poo prison time for mishandling classified information. The caveats on them indicate that they definitely reveal sources, means, and methods and if an adversary got their hands on them it could lead to set backs equaling years of damage to the intelligence community.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

I got a State Department TS back in 2012 in 3 months. Post-Snowden, my DoD SCI took 6 (getting read on took way longer). Apparently things got really bad in like 2017-2018. Like to the point where they were giving people accounts before interviews were ever completed. It sounds like they've gotten better since they stopped the mandatory reinvestigations, but I got out of the government racket around the time Trump got into office so I don't care anymore.

From what I can tell, the current system is still broken.

I technically applied for a new clearance at my job. That was two years ago. No one has spoken to me, my clearance status is "provisional". The only communication I have received from them was confirmation they got my paperwork, via email.

We have a guy that has waiting for 4 years and counting for his "security interview". Either they are only focusing on certain branches/reasons, or they have given up on a few categories.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BaconAndBullets posted:

if an adversary got their hands on them it could lead to set backs equaling years of damage to the intelligence community.

If is doing some heavy lifting considering they were unsecured in a golf resort storage room for a year and a half.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://abc11.com/kenly-town-manager-fired-justine-jones-contract-terminated/12183821/

quote:

"While all related information is certainly a matter of public concern, the allegations made against me were timely and thoroughly vetted by independent sources and there was no such finding of wrongdoing by me or my office," Jones said in a statement Wednesday. "The decision to not communicate the entire story and publicly share the findings of the report is most unfortunate."

In an emergency meeting Tuesday, the Town voted 3-2 to terminate her contract. Jones had been at the center of an independent investigation after the town's entire police force resigned on Aug. 2 and said there was a hostile working environment. Former Police Chief Josh Gibson blamed Jones for the toxic work environment.

Going to give you two guesses as to the race of the police chief and race of the town manager

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What is it with Russian dissidents and always falling out of windows?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1565234707587125250

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

psydude posted:

What is it with Russian dissidents and always falling out of windows?

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1565234707587125250

They're not even trying to be subtle about it at all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Itchy_Grundle posted:

They're not even trying to be subtle about it at all.

Eh, unless he closed the window on the way out, fell through a random cloud of polonium on the way down and then landed on two bullets to the back of the head this is subtle in a comparative sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, unless he closed the window on the way out, fell through a random cloud of polonium on the way down and then landed on two bullets to the back of the head this is subtle in a comparative sense.

Don't forget the Acme 5 Ton weight falling on him once he's down.