Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i dont think theres been any sketchy poo poo like this before

the oil clubs legitimately have the money backing them

barca are just weaponizing "too big to fail"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Yeah lol say what you want about PSG and City (and….Newcastle?!?!?) but the whole issue there is they can capitalize the everlovering hell out of the club, and the returns they are seeking don’t necessarily include returning a profit in the *financial* sense.

Barça is missing a key element of this approach.

Personally as a fan of a club that got turned into the propaganda arm of an oil state it’s funny to watch the clubs that bullied everyone by virtue of lesser ingrained financial advantages eat complete poo poo (looking at Manchester United)

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1556538483791089664

Edit:
https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1556554176699809793

psyer fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 8, 2022

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
i'm sure they'll find more levers to pull

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hola amigos, yo soy el nuevo advisor del financialeros, senor pedro ridsdale

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
donde esta mi rio ferdinand?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

donde esta mi rio ferdinand?
y donde estan mis peces dorados?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Have Barca considered that a monorail may be a sound investment?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1556583526778249216?t=PZr84I37xNujsR2TwIwo7g&s=19

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

If there's criminality in the contract, aren't they telling on themselves, as one of the two parties involved in the contract?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

frameset posted:

If there's criminality in the contract, aren't they telling on themselves, as one of the two parties involved in the contract?

It's totally cool though because it was done by the previous, stupid president, not the current, smart president.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It would take what, a single season? Of just not being morons about transfers to get their finances in order and they can't do it lol

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Jethro posted:

It's totally cool though because it was done by the previous, stupid president, not the current, smart president.

My mistake, bangs gavel Frenkie de Jong is sentenced to whatever fate Barca deems fit. Court dismissed.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

How many days away are we from Barcelona planting anabolic steroids in de Jong' locker? Three?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Barcelona pre-COVID: Mas Que un Club
Barcelona during and post-COVID: Mas Que un Trainwreck

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They're riding on the "if you owe the bank $100 you have a problem, if you owe the bank $1bn they have a problem" adage

No matter how ridiculous they get, there's basically zero value in liquidating Barca. The debts can only ever be serviced with continuing operating revenue, so no-one will ever really foreclose.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barca are somehow making me feel indignant for a guy who earns £470k a week.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Vegetable posted:

He gets paid a fortune to play a game he loves, but he also has to speak Dutch so…

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vegetable posted:

Well see they're trying to not actually pay him that and are only paying him whatever reduced pay he agreed to temporarily. He's probably living paycheck to paycheck at this point!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Honestly would love to hear from his perspective when he leaves because of how often Laporta's tone has changed throughout this summer. We've been at "hes our player, we love him, hes not leaving" through to "he needs to gently caress off" multiple times over the past few months and its going to keep going.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

There's a lot of melty brain Barca fans in the replies there. No wonder the club is run like that if those loving idiots are in charge.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its extremely funny that smug unicef sponsors la masia supremacy club are going to go bust because they decided to give all of the money very specifically to washed up antoine greaseman

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

should've given Barca Studios a less obvious name. Like it's one thing to create fake companies to inflate revenue but you gotta put in a bit more work.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

BWV posted:

should've given Barca Studios a less obvious name. Like it's one thing to create fake companies to inflate revenue but you gotta put in a bit more work.

Studio Nou

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

It would take what, a single season? Of just not being morons about transfers to get their finances in order and they can't do it lol

Yeah literally one season with no signings, still have one of the most expensive squads in the world by some margin but they're mortgaging their future instead.

It's a little bit sad that a club that became famous, in large part, for its academy players to make psg look sensible but it is mostly funny.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
cant wait for barca to try playing lewandowski in the league anyway, just straight up refusing to acknowledge la liga saying he can't

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Still don't get the reasoning behind lewandowski. Guy's 34 on a 4 year contract or something? lol

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
hes still putting up incredible numbers, and also madrid have a benzema so

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Lewa might be 34 but he's still probably the second best striker in Europe. Still an odd choice for a club that needs to go through a rebuilding phase but obviously Barcelona cannot accept a couple of seasons in 6th place or whatever.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

He’s in great shape and super focused on his diet and fitness too. Could potentially go and go like Zlatan for a good few more years. Definitely not the worst of the choices Barca are making at the minute.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dave Angel posted:

He’s in great shape and super focused on his diet and fitness too. Could potentially go and go like Zlatan for a good few more years. Definitely not the worst of the choices Barca are making at the minute.

A major ligament injury is about to happen you say

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Alonso is another future signing who has been close to signing for several months.

He asked to be taken out of the match squad over the weekend but wants to keep training until Barcelona fork over the money. Which they will soon of course.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a reckless driver today

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ManagingBarca/status/1556903002161573889?s=20&t=nLRN1dytc1NQwQfzDSndGw

joining barca seems like a quick means to lower it all the way to zero

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
You have to wonder what else Barcelona is throwing into the mix to make these guys so desperate to sign there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Being rich and living in Barcelona is probably very nice

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Jose posted:

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jose posted:

True but most places are quite nice to live if you are rich tbh and if your new employer is showing some signs of being unstable I'd be a bit more reluctant

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Barcelona is a club a load of footballers grew up wanting to play for, and this might be their last chance as it might not exist in a year or two at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dave Angel posted:

Barcelona is a club a load of footballers grew up wanting to play for, and this might be their last chance as it might not exist in a year or two at this rate.

I want to believe someone has been using this exact argument when talking to players.