Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

use anything you like, as long as it's not some 40 year old dogshit written by people who think teletypes are the pinnacle of technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lifroc posted:

notepad++ lmao, throw that poo poo out the window.

learn vim, then throw vim out the window and install emacs with evil. if you're a js developer install neovim and enjoy the constant churn and breakage you're so used to.

if you love satan and need to be productive, just use vscode.

vscode is a lovely text editor because it supposed to be an IDE which it is not

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
vscode sucks because if you’re using it, it probably means you’re writing javascript for a living

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no I can’t use a text editor designed this century because [insert bizarre and implausible edge case]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

no I can’t use a text editor designed this century because linux

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

linux slaps

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
using vim... with colemak layout :twisted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use and like emacs, but thats with 17 years of manicuring a .emacs config to fix all the terrible defaults, and with a kinesis keyboard where ctrl is under a thumb and not a pinky. in any case i wouldn't recommend it to a friend

on the other hand my programming career has been going pretty well and i assume this is entirely the result of my choice in text editor

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i can respect emacs-vim grognards, but since those setups are almost always artisinal and unique, it means those skills are untransferable to junior coworkers

whereas using a thing like intellij or visual studio you can ramp up people faster and teach them their tools without the keyboard wizard learning curve

also greatly reduces chances of "works on my machine"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i used to have a heavily customized emacs but these days when on a new system i just set a couple paren-mode variables and call it a day

also ive pretty much stopped using it for actual coding in favor of pycharm/clion/etc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like it OP.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember the notepad++ guy posted this whole thing about how he's saving the planet because np++ code was cleanly written and thus more energy efficient. in reaction, i set my work laptop up so that whenever np++ was open it was also running folding@home full throttle

I wonder if he ever got into bitcoin

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Lifroc posted:

notepad++ lmao, throw that poo poo out the window.

learn vim, then throw vim out the window and install emacs with evil. if you're a js developer install neovim and enjoy the constant churn and breakage you're so used to.

if you love satan and need to be productive, just use vscode.

neovim works fine and requires no plugin janitoring. i only use it for quick edits in a shell tho, vscode owns for anything more studly

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
developers who do not use a real IDE are an embarrassment to themselves and our profession

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

developers who do not use a real IDE are an embarrassment to themselves and our profession

narrow applicability makes dunking on stuff in that space a lot less fun though, i can pretend to know all normal editors just fine, but never even seen pycharm.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gentle Autist posted:

neovim works fine

lol ok

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

my homie dhall posted:

developers are an embarrassment

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
i use intellij and sleep in a big bed with my wife

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

did somebody say Linux?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

if they did nobody heard them

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

narrow applicability makes dunking on stuff in that space a lot less fun though, i can pretend to know all normal editors just fine, but never even seen pycharm.

I worked at a place briefly where everybody was using pycharm but I think they were just cargo-culting the one guy who knew what he was doing

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my homie dhall posted:

I had a coworker who did everything in vim instead of eclipse. Boomers/gen x ftw.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who used to go sicko mode if you said anything bad about vim? Am I just imagining this? I swear I remember someone melting down about this in one of the earlier versions of the linux thread.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

idk what the hell u r doing but i open my thing, edit a couple of likes, write and quit. nvim just has all the good syntax highlighting built in without loving about

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gentle Autist posted:

idk what the hell u r doing but i open my thing, edit a couple of likes, write and quit. nvim just has all the good syntax highlighting built in without loving about

i'm not using vim, for one thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sweevo posted:

if they did nobody heard them

hah

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lsp has been a huge help with giving emacs more ide functionality, got my emacs highlighting errors and jumping to definitions in several langs, even python. thanks vscode

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
emacs style chording is bad for your wrists. i have no information to back this up

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bored Online posted:

emacs style chording is bad for your wrists. i have no information to back this up

per my earlier post emacs pairs well with a kinesis advantage where ctrl/alt are under the thumbs

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Bored Online posted:

The defaults are unusable on a normal keyboard, I only use it because i have ctrl and alt on the home row.

I guess instead of hitting ctrl and alt with your pinky you could pick up your hand and hit them with your index finger, but who does that?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Buck Turgidson posted:

The defaults are unusable on a normal keyboard, I only use it because i have ctrl and alt on the home row.

I guess instead of hitting ctrl and alt with your pinky you could pick up your hand and hit them with your index finger, but who does that?

Many early terminals & keyboards also had ctrl in line with the home row, so the chording was a more sensible choice when it was conceived than it is now

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Progressive JPEG posted:

per my earlier post emacs pairs well with a kinesis advantage where ctrl/alt are under the thumbs

this is not a very good defense of emacs sorry

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

emacs + lsp + magit ftw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
no, op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

HamAdams posted:

i use intellij and sleep in a big bed with my wife

i also use intellij and sleep with this guys wife

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
e macs backwards is scam e

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
emacs is short for emachines, everyone’s favourite computer company

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who used to go sicko mode if you said anything bad about vim? Am I just imagining this? I swear I remember someone melting down about this in one of the earlier versions of the linux thread.

you just described 90% of yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

e macs backwards is scam e

she scam e but i still chording