Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ive just used vi through an adb connection to a bluestacks instance through the windows command line through a remote desktop connection to my mom's brand new laptop to edit a config file for an awful mobile game that my mom has sunk untold amount of time into to make it reconnect to the same game save she had on her tablet that just died (because it's "not saved in the cloud" if you refuse to use facebook but they put it on the cloud anyway but with a randomly generated account name and password tied to your device to artificially imbue the process with "not cloud" downsides) and I must say that emacs wouldn't have made any of this any less painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

my homie dhall posted:

developers are an embarrassment

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
i am not a nerd! I am not a nerd!
i continue to insist as i expand and turn into a Unix greybeard

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

how do you define ide?

by being a microsoft marketing person anxious to make it look like vs and vs code aren't two products doing the same thing

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

a text editor knows about the text of text files, an ide knows about the entire project and the concepts and structures defined within and how they relate, and provide tools for analysing and changing that structure, which are all integrated.

vscode is a very bad ide, or maybe a series of quite bad ides, or a very good text editor

in practice (when doing c++ at least): vs forces you to define a project hierarchy separate from the directory tree which also double as the build system definition

It's completely unecessary for an ide to work in this way and this is extremely impractical

In practice on large cross platform projects you don't want to use the built-in build system as your primary build system because it's poo poo so you end up with another build system (cmake or similar) that generates vs' projects and solutions

you therefore may have build files to edit that may or may not be referenced by the projects and become annoying to find and work with from inside vs (i often end up running vs code on the side for this reason)

when it comes to "changing the structure" aka refactoring on large projects you are usually better off turning intellisense anyway and installing some third party plugin such as visual assist because the integrated poo poo is unbearably slow (as in updating the database is slow and for some reason slows the UI down, at the most awkward of times)

my experience of using vs code for c++ on personal projects (not as big as the ones at work but not completely trivial either) is just better (and ironically i do also use Microsoft's c++ extensions in vscode, they just work better there)

there is absolutely nothing that makes vs code any less or any worse of an ide than visual studio, but Microsoft needs to justify the continued existence of the later and it being paid software (rather than folding every remaining specific vs tool into vs code and putting vs out of it's misery)