Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
no I can’t use a text editor designed this century because [insert bizarre and implausible edge case]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Wasn't there a YOSPOS goon who used to go sicko mode if you said anything bad about vim? Am I just imagining this? I swear I remember someone melting down about this in one of the earlier versions of the linux thread.

you just described 90% of yospos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Vim is fine. Most of the people I work with seem to use it just fine without becoming terminal nerds

I mean that's what you literally are if you make the voluntary choice to use vim

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
insane dick energy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anything more complicated than edit.com is bourgeoisie decadence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
emacs is many things: a blender front end, an operating system, a sink for excess greybeard energy

but being a good text editor is not one of those things