Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

emacs is great for looking like you know what you're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

the perfect software...

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

linux slaps

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

narrow applicability makes dunking on stuff in that space a lot less fun though, i can pretend to know all normal editors just fine, but never even seen pycharm.

I worked at a place briefly where everybody was using pycharm but I think they were just cargo-culting the one guy who knew what he was doing

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Buck Turgidson posted:

The defaults are unusable on a normal keyboard, I only use it because i have ctrl and alt on the home row.

I guess instead of hitting ctrl and alt with your pinky you could pick up your hand and hit them with your index finger, but who does that?

Many early terminals & keyboards also had ctrl in line with the home row, so the chording was a more sensible choice when it was conceived than it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

just use dd and pull from /dev/random until you get a file that looks the way you want it