Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use and like emacs, but thats with 17 years of manicuring a .emacs config to fix all the terrible defaults, and with a kinesis keyboard where ctrl is under a thumb and not a pinky. in any case i wouldn't recommend it to a friend

on the other hand my programming career has been going pretty well and i assume this is entirely the result of my choice in text editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lsp has been a huge help with giving emacs more ide functionality, got my emacs highlighting errors and jumping to definitions in several langs, even python. thanks vscode

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bored Online posted:

emacs style chording is bad for your wrists. i have no information to back this up

per my earlier post emacs pairs well with a kinesis advantage where ctrl/alt are under the thumbs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol if you aren't still running the same hand-edited version of an emacs color theme since 2010 across a half dozen jobs and languages just lol

still works as-is without any changes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

emacs configs are like sourdough starters if you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh so like emacs + lsp