Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best text editor
This poll is closed.
emacs 0 0%
vim 11 20.00%
notepad 2 3.64%
notepad ++ 10 18.18%
textedit 2 3.64%
microsoft word 2 3.64%
notes.app 3 5.45%
vscode 7 12.73%
sublime or atomic or one of those 7 12.73%
textwrangler (remember that one?) 3 5.45%
<textarea> in the browser 2 3.64%
this thread 6 10.91%
Total: 25 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

used emacs for 20 years, but visual studio code grabbed the best (as well as some of the worse) aspects of emacs and ran with it. most notably pervasive extensions (good), the mess associated with random extensions (bad), and thoroughly one-upping tramp mode.

otoh for this thread emacs probably fits, as one of the main ways in which it is bad is how its approach to ui is forever stuck in the 70s (the only small concessions being pretty much 100% lucid shaming the fsf into a few incrediby crude richer ui features). makes it look plenty arcane though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in things that certainly make me *not* look like a cool hacker is that with switching from emacs to vscode i needed a secondary console editor for the few times when launching vscode/remoting was inconvenient. i this time said "gently caress it, lets have the same key bindings as every modern application" and picked up micro.

feels a lot like being a nano user, but having the same selection semantics and keybindings as every other textfield on my system is simply better after having given up the pretty dubious advantage of using the same editor forced into both a gui (well "gui") and console form.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my homie dhall posted:

developers who do not use a real IDE are an embarrassment to themselves and our profession

narrow applicability makes dunking on stuff in that space a lot less fun though, i can pretend to know all normal editors just fine, but never even seen pycharm.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the org mode reference above another good example of the problems with emacs. it's an actual killer app that the emacs maintainers (i.e. primarily rms) hates. considers it monolithic garbage because it is its own complex ecosystem, thinks is should be exploded into a billion lisp fragments every user should wire together themselves.

lots of emacs dists trying to actually put something cohesive together, but ultimately it is an ongoing technical infight forever splintering making little headway.