Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Welcome to 2004! It's been several years since the run of The X-Files has ended on TV, and the show is slowly coming out on DVDs, when Vivendi Universal releases a survival horror game set in the X-Files universe, presented as missing episodes written by a series writer and starring the main characters of the show voiced by its actual cast, packed with extras like storyboards and behind-the-scenes footage.

Resist or Serve was developed by Black Ops Entertainment, a company unknown for a few mediocre movie-based games and boxing titles for EA Sports, still struggling to repeat the success of its PS1 classic Treasures of the Deep. Resist or Serve wouldn't give the studio that success due to the designers' severe lack of imagination: you fight zombies pretty much the entire game, and their only feature is that they take many hits to kill. Normally.

We won't be playing normally, though. We will use a cheat that lets you kill regular enemies with a single hit. And invincibility.

EPISODE 7x97 Renascence

EPISODE 7x98 Resonance

EPISODE 7x99 Reckoning

EXTRAS

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh, this is going to be appalling and I am so here for it :allears: I loved this stupid goddamn show so much.

edit; holy crap, first vid is an hour long?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I know nothing about X-Files, is this before Vin Diesel was brought on-board?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

-It's a nice touch that the beer is branded as Ergot Ale, since that's a fungus that can contaminate rye and barley at the least. Someone must be playing up the rotgut theme.
-The word you were searching for at the 32 minute mark is "involved".

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NGDBSS posted:

-It's a nice touch that the beer is branded as Ergot Ale, since that's a fungus that can contaminate rye and barley at the least. Someone must be playing up the rotgut theme.
-The word you were searching for at the 32 minute mark is "involved".
Ergot has also been considered (for a while, although I think this has recently been discredited) as one of the possible explanations for the Salem's witch hunts, so it fits nicely.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I definitely appreciate this playthrough with cheats, as kicking a zombie down is far funnier and less time-wasting than emptying a clip into one. The high attention to detail in the assets and the accuracy in the level design (at least compared to what a lot of other games of the time would feature) is big surprise, and a pleasant one. The soundtrack has also been pretty solid so far - the stingers for dead bodies or combat only get a tiny bit hammier than some of the TV series' own audio cues, and most of the time it's right on point.

I'm curious what the lighter looks like up close.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The one-punch kills make this seem like a spoof, it's great.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The word in the letter was "involved", and the word on the package with the ammo clip was "wendigo".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The word in the letter was "involved", and the word on the package with the ammo clip was "wendigo".

:colbert:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

That 'n' is probably the contribution of an Aussie on the team being more familiar with dingoes than Native American spellings told to do the art up for this based on what he heard. And an editing conference of dunces. Or maybe they're all rolled together somehow, it'd explain the Fu Manchu mustache on the g.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Looks like a perfectly normal wendingio to me. Is there a reason why Mulder was constantly looking kinda upwards while inside the sheriff's office?
I think this game would have been pretty awesome it was released as a PSX title in the late 90s, but as it is it just feels like it missed the bus a bit.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there a reason why Mulder was constantly looking kinda upwards while inside the sheriff's office?

I thought he just knows better than everyone else. Or just upset about a missing videotape?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ally_1986 posted:

I thought he just knows better than everyone else. Or just upset about a missing videotape?

The truth is... up there?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

'Hey, Scully, I've found a quick way to get to where we ne–'
'Start jacking, Mulder'

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Mulder constantly looks upwards because he wants to believe SO hard that he's keeping his eyes peeled for UFOs even while indoors.

Those snap movements during the trailer scene were hilarious - the way Mulder flashes the open diary at frozen-faced Scully seems so cartoonish in a way that you might expect it push this game further into Uncanny Valley territory, but instead makes it more endearing.

Mulder's dig at Jewel's poetry in the Wheel House was extremely unexpected, but also amusing. (I think it was just a jab at the vibe of the poem rather than recognizing any specific content, though.)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I certainly can't fault the detail put into some of these locations. I don't think I saw a game of this era with one-way automatic doors. I certainly can fault a lot of other things though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So far it seems pretty middling as survival horror stuff goes, but X-Files really doesn't map well onto survival horror.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

malkav11 posted:

So far it seems pretty middling as survival horror stuff goes, but X-Files really doesn't map well onto survival horror.

I think it could work, X-Files also seems like it could work in stalkers like Clocktower, but it seems clear that things just didn't go well making this. One of the most obviously broken parts so far is the inventory. They were obviously going for the Resident Evil limited inventory but they also obviously decided at some point to drop it while keeping the UI (probably late in development). Big icons work when you can only see 8 (ish) of them at a time but now we've got big icons in a scrolling list and its baaaad. Also the notes are in there too which is even worse.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I don't think X-Files makes sense with a game style that involves killing dozens of enemies, let alone in a pretty standard zombie scenario. Being hunted by an unstoppable enemy ala Clock Tower, perhaps. It's by no means the only problem the game has, but a lot of the others seem reasonably common in the genre.

The other X-Files videogames are not well regarded either, I don't think, but they're an FMV adventure game and a hidden object game, which seem...more fitting? At least to me.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 17, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh wow. X-Files was such a thing. I never saw all of the episodes, but I saw quite a few of them. I had the Windows 95/98 theme for it too, and the screensaver that had a giant green "X" breathing in and out.

The ones I liked best were a bit more like The Twilight Zone types that didn't try to explain anything.

I keep thinking I should grab a few of the early seasons and watch them with the family.

It really threw me off when I first heard Gillian Anderson speak in her real accent. It was like Mind Your Language in reverse.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

People of 2022, what protective gear Scully doesn't wear for the autopsy?

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

I'm pretty sure the street names are references to episode titles (although they misspelled "Ascension"), but I can't be bothered to look them all up.

It amuses me when these types of games put the business names on the keychains (or directly on the keys, like with Shop Easy), considering that makes their shop infinitely less secure if a key ever gets lost.

I never thought about how this is probably just an American thing(?) but there's a dated cliche about fire stations having a Dalmatian for a pet. The thing is, I've never heard of one having 2 of them, let alone 3 (as I understand it, they are not cheap and can also be mean), so it's interesting how the reuse of assets for presumed value wound up making the situation less realistic, yet more expensive, than if they hadn't bothered making Dalmatian-flavored zombie dogs at all.

The random music stings could most definitely be generic, as they might trigger a selection from a pool of audio files as stock as the door noise, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they're also used in the show, if they're considered part of the music instead of sound effect. A lot of the soundtrack has sounded like it's from the same body of work that we hear in the show - I'd be interested to find out what other projects this game's sound design team has worked on.

While this game leaves me disappointed in that we never got an episode of the show where Scully lugged a pair of bolt cutters around, using them whenever inconvenienced, I also definitely look forward to watching her throw molotov cocktails, so I suppose that'll be a wash in the end.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The situation takes a turn for the INFRA.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At first I thought someone was trying to channel Silent Hill but I think that "music" was just "spooky" thunder and lightning.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That "silicone sealant" is probably a tube of caulk. I remember using some black stuff with a caulking gun to seal cut edges on my aunt's deck a month ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Metal Epoxy would be a glue-type resin that bonds with metal

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I feel like it might help if I remembered a goddamn thing about the X-Files metaplot. Like I have a vague sense that that Krychek guy was a recurring antagonist but that's about it. Well, and I guess that the black oil stuff was a thing. But also zero details there.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Krychek was basically a good guy who was brought on when Mulder got captured IIRC about Season 2 or 3 and then turned into a bad guy over time as poo poo happened, as I vaguely recall. Although I could easily be wrong and he was a bad guy from the beginning, but he was definitely presented at first as a good guy. I sure as hell didn't watch enough X-Files to tell you why he became a bad guy though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Krychek became Mulders partner during the second season and is initially a good guy to gain his trust, but then its revealed that he's really working for the Smoking Man. A lot more happens over the rest of the show where he allies himself with different factions for reasons, but generally the character is an irredeemable dick.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 28, 2022

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Scully's side: autopsy, timed death, crafting puzzles.
Mulder's side: You need a red keycard to open this door.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a wonder any secrets manage to stay secret when the super-hackers in X-Files exist. Didn't they get their own short-lived spin off too?

The background of the game reminds me of an older Dan Olson (of recent "The Problem with NFTs" fame) video about an animated movie that fired its director and then just... didn't get another director. He went into much greater detail but initially described it a mixture of various big budget animation movies that then got diluted down to an ultimately meaningless version. Someone may have technically been in charge for this game but the metaphor feels like it applies. Without the skills to mix the elements together all you get is various elements that feel even more pointless since none of them work together in the slightest.

And speaking of that exact thing seeing that the inventory can reset between acts within an episode except for some default amount of guns and ammo definitely feels wrong. But maybe I should be grateful for anything which cleans up that terrible interface.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kibayasu posted:

It's a wonder any secrets manage to stay secret when the super-hackers in X-Files exist. Didn't they get their own short-lived spin off too?

Yep.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

quote:

In the pilot episode, which aired in March 2001, there is a hijacked plane that is being targeted at the World Trade Center; six months before the September 11 attacks occurred.
I don't think the game makes any references to it, sadly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh yeah, that's how I heard about it, another one of those "[blank] predicted 9/11" things.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The puzzle design and premises are somehow getting dumber every step of the way.

Also, really, you map your secret base by X-raying it from space?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

SelenicMartian posted:

Also, really, you map your secret base by X-raying it from space?

They must have burned all the blueprints so this was the next logical step.

I would love to know the price to rent a satellite. This map... so many questions!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe you've been keeping us from this riveting combat :geno:

I guess hallucinations could explain why getting set on fire did so little damage though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mulder's side of the episode is even more of a joke.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Fox Mulder's Dreams of the Rarebit-Fiend :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That is likely the most awkward series of but-thou-musts (run away and/or die) I'll ever see.