Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Outta curiosity, how would people feel about expanding this into a ratings thread too? I could just make that thread but it occurred to me that having separate threads for AEW's TV deal and AEW's ratings may be splitting hairs since they're so heavily connected.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MJeff posted:

Outta curiosity, how would people feel about expanding this into a ratings thread too? I could just make that thread but it occurred to me that having separate threads for AEW's TV deal and AEW's ratings may be splitting hairs since they're so heavily connected.

Hm, it would be very fitting for here, but I like how the weekly discussion threads will post the chart, say number is number, and then back to whatever bullshit was before. But bigger discussion about number should absolutely be here

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MJeff posted:

I'd be fine with ratings chat here since the other thread bitches and cries about that too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:agreed:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Squall posted:

In a play out of delicious corporate synergy, it's toons vs. goons in Space Jam: A New Legacy, now available in theaters and streaming on HBO Max.

If this somehow leads to Kenny Omega in Multiversus, I'm all for it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Bonk posted:

If this somehow leads to Kenny Omega in Multiversus, I'm all for it.

Omega, Punk, OC, Jade Cargill as the first DLC pack. Evil Uno, Danhausen, Dante Martin, Kris Statlander as the second.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm fine with ratings chat for all companies, I think the next TV deals for all companies are going to be very interesting given the ever shifting media landscape

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly the remarkable thing for me about Dynamite ratings is how remarkably stable they've been.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1557820492639338497

There's a little bit of bounce in the 18-49, but outside of that and outside of times where it was either pre-empted or timeshifted or up against weird competition Dynamite has had basically the same viewership since October.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tato posted:

I'm fine with ratings chat for all companies, I think the next TV deals for all companies are going to be very interesting given the ever shifting media landscape

I agree with this also. A general business side thread is a good idea.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ROH should be Khan's full money mark brand where he books whatever self indulgent bullshit he likes and posts out free DV-Rs of the shows to anyone who expresses an interest

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
have they ever put out info on how many people watch through fite?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

1glitch0 posted:

I agree with this also. A general business side thread is a good idea.

If people wanna use this thread as a general business + ratings discussion for all companies, that'd be fine, but I'm not writing a long-rear end OP for WWE's situation because relatively to AEW, I find their situation is startlingly boring. :v:

Anyway, regarding this week's rating, I kinda find myself agreeing with Dave.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1557821896476876800

1st place for basically 2 months straight with the exception of that Yankees vs. Mets game is never bad, but I really would've thought that Jericho vs. Moxley would've done better than a 0.33. All of the injured main eventers are coming back, so we'll see if that gets them back closer to some .40s, I guess.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's like the TNA gif. AEW's hit a higher floor than it had but there's no super high peaks for stuff that should be special.

Steady continued growth is good, but you also want to be able to hit it out of the park occasionally.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

It's like the TNA gif. AEW's hit a higher floor than it had but there's no super high peaks for stuff that should be special.

Steady continued growth is good, but you also want to be able to hit it out of the park occasionally.

And the named shows, especially with big stuff on them like world title matches, used to be really good at just that, popping a rating.

Maybe they're doing those too often. Just since Forbidden Door, we've had Blood & Guts, Fyter Fest, Fight For the Fallen, Quake by the Lake and next week is SPONSORED BY HOUSE OF DRAGONS although I'm guessing that one will do a better rating than all of the others so far.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

MJeff posted:

And the named shows, especially with big stuff on them like world title matches, used to be really good at just that, popping a rating.

Maybe they're doing those too often. Just since Forbidden Door, we've had Blood & Guts, Fyter Fest, Fight For the Fallen, Quake by the Lake and next week is SPONSORED BY HOUSE OF DRAGONS although I'm guessing that one will do a better rating than all of the others so far.
We're a bit further into AEW now but the named shows help me remember weekly TV and feel a little more special but I really don't know if they ever popped a true rating outside of maybe Blood & Guts

This is the second time they're going to West Virginia and the second time it's a sponsored show (First time was Rick & Morty themed Halloween) so it's at least a smart business move to have some sponsors footing the costs for smaller markets. West Virginia probably has a lower population state-wide than Chicago does

so if anything at least Tony is leveraging smart business moves when he knows he's going to be at a loss.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Fox as the outside bidder would be very lovely for AEW, especially if TK can finagle it so that it seems like a polite business move to the WBD crew and doesn't sour that relationship. I mean, that's stating the obvious, but I wasn't expecting there to be anyone out there to get a proper bidding war going.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Since the bad thread is talking about the Discovery deal again I wanted to ask a question here. People keep saying that even if AEW doesn't get a deal they can easily get a deal elsewhere.

But where? How many places can they really go?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well that's the big question and the crux of this whole thing. What outside bidders can AEW get and how will that weight against the current situation AEW has, where they have very good reach, a good lead-in, etc. on TBS?

But you have to assume, just because AEW is a stable, proven media property that is #1 on Wednesday basically every week, if it couldn't be on TBS anymore, somebody would pay them.

My personal pet theory is FOX. :v:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Personally, I think the "exposure" argument is a little overblown. They would absolutely be on Showtime or Paramount or whatever the gently caress if they offered them like $500 million.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Fox seems like a good shout if they dump WWE, content for both their TV network and Tubi. Does ViacomCBS still have a cable TV network with the right demos for wrestling? Paramount Network went all movies I think?

Up until a few days ago I thought the idea of Netflix/Amazon/Streaming etc was unlikely despite their pushes into sport/live content as a growing AEW would want to be somewhere with the widest reach to continue growing, however Neilson just announced that in July 2022 streaming saw a bigger audience share than Cable TV for the first time ever, so suddenly that idea doesn't seem as insane anymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Thing about FOX is

1) I think WWE is going to be sold to Comcast.
2) Even if it isn't, AEW probably does like 75% of the numbers of SmackDown in that timeslot, for half the cost or less.

If they went to streaming, like one of the big ones like Amazon, I would think the optimal way to do that is keep one show on TV and put the other on streaming, so you have one foot in both pools, so to speak?

blunt posted:

Neilson just announced that in July 2022 streaming saw a bigger audience share than Cable TV for the first time ever, so suddenly that idea doesn't seem as insane anymore.

That's wild, can I get a link on that?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MJeff posted:

That's wild, can I get a link on that?

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/18/23311791/streaming-most-viewers-july-2022-beats-cable

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's fuckin' wild. I wonder how the demos break down.

This is a very interesting point:

quote:

Neilson says that part of the reason fewer people were watching cable is because there weren’t as many sports being broadcast at this time of year. While that won’t be the case later in the year (when sports like basketball and football start their seasons), streaming providers have been slowly acquiring the rights to show games as well. Apple and Amazon are streaming baseball and football, respectively, and Disney has been kicking around the idea of streaming ESPN. With that said, general sports fans still face an expensive, confusing mess when trying to decide how to watch various games.

The article also pointed out how July was one of the best months ever for streaming, and I'm pretty sure it was also one of the worst months ever for TV, wasn't it?

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 19, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MJeff posted:

Well that's the big question and the crux of this whole thing. What outside bidders can AEW get and how will that weight against the current situation AEW has, where they have very good reach, a good lead-in, etc. on TBS?

But you have to assume, just because AEW is a stable, proven media property that is #1 on Wednesday basically every week, if it couldn't be on TBS anymore, somebody would pay them.

My personal pet theory is FOX. :v:

FOX is a possibility. I don't know what the timing is like contrat-wise, but if I'm FOX or even NBCU (if I'm not interested in buying WWE) I'd want to take a good look at AEW. They could give AEW a huge bump in money while still paying a fraction of what they pay for WWE and probably still be at the very top of cable.

But to the other point, while I agree AEW is a proven media property the question is still who IS that somebody that pays for it? Fox is a possibility in the same that NBCU is a possibility. But if no one drops WWE then who is that somebody. Viacom is the only corporation I can think of off the top of my head and what do they have? It's not going on Comedy Central. Maybe MTV? But does Viacom really care if MTV is at the top of charts when The Challenge isn't on?

You can go streaming but I think you need a presence on cable or broadcast.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
AEW's contract expires at the end of 2023 and if WBD picks up the 2024 option (which I haven't heard anything to even slightly indicate they won't), WWE's contracts expire three months before AEW's does.

I think NBCU is way too connected with WWE at this point to drop them. USA is sooooo heavily dependent on Raw and it's not like AEW can even go into that timeslot because Khan refuses to run against the NFL. It would be very, very funny if USA was like "WE'LL HAVE TWO WRESTLING COMPANIES! WE'LL HAVE WRESTLING EVERY NIGHT!" and AEW and WWE wound up in some hosed up odd couple situation.

MTV is one I've heard before and besides reconciling AEW and The Challenge having the same timeslot, it doesn't sound that crazy to me. Didn't MTV have Raw at one point?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

MJeff posted:

AEW's contract expires at the end of 2023 and if WBD picks up the 2024 option (which I haven't heard anything to even slightly indicate they won't), WWE's contracts expire three months before AEW's does.

I think NBCU is way too connected with WWE at this point to drop them. USA is sooooo heavily dependent on Raw and it's not like AEW can even go into that timeslot because Khan refuses to run against the NFL. It would be very, very funny if USA was like "WE'LL HAVE TWO WRESTLING COMPANIES! WE'LL HAVE WRESTLING EVERY NIGHT!" and AEW and WWE wound up in some hosed up odd couple situation.

MTV is one I've heard before and besides reconciling AEW and The Challenge having the same timeslot, it doesn't sound that crazy to me. Didn't MTV have Raw at one point?

No, maybe you're thinking of Spike TV.

MTV could be a good fit. And Paramount+ is technically a streaming service for their library. I wonder if they're married at all to The Challenge being on Wednesdays.

If they want it on Wednesdays they could do a weird wacky 3 hour block of an hour of live AEW, The Challenge with a few live AEW inserts, and the last hour of AEW afterwards. AEW can tape Dark in the middle hour.

Wait is that a terrible loving idea or the best idea ever? i can never tell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol apparently I was thinking of WRESTLING SOCIETY X

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MTV aired Sunday Night Heat for a while too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvEu_d_dLTE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

lol apparently I was thinking of WRESTLING SOCIETY X

I'm always thinking about Wrestling Society X, the wrestling promotion bold enough to put Nate Webb, Genki Horiguchi, Masato Yoshino, Ruckus, X-Pac, Vampire & Tyler Black all on national TV

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1560789520748003329

What an absolutely bizarre arc.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's been a rough few weeks for the women's division, especially since it seemed like the live crowd was actually into a lot of the matches, so just putting on good matches that the crowd is hot for doesn't seem to interest the viewing audience.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Pylons posted:

It's been a rough few weeks for the women's division, especially since it seemed like the live crowd was actually into a lot of the matches, so just putting on good matches that the crowd is hot for doesn't seem to interest the viewing audience.

i see it as an outcome that was very obvious, essentially putting a youtube match on the big show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

i see it as an outcome that was very obvious, essentially putting a youtube match on the big show

I'm more referring to the Thunderstorm vs. Britt&Hayter match.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

I'm more referring to the Thunderstorm vs. Britt&Hayter match.

What did that one do?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

What did that one do?

Q1: Jay Lethal vs. Orange Cassidy - 1,020,000 / 444,000

Q2: Lethal/Wardlow angle, Undisputed Elite angle, Mox promo - 980,000 / 451,000

Q3: Christian promo/Jungle Boy, ThunderStorm vs. Baker & Hayter - 885,000 / 396,000

Q4: End of tag, Sammy/Tay/Kingston, Hobbs squash/Starks angle, Miro & Darby promos - 915,000 / 404,000

Q5: Christian vs. Matt Hardy, Jungle Boy post-match, Daniel Garcia promo - 944,000 / 422,000

Q6: Pac video, Ethan Page/Stokely, JAS segment, most of Acclaimed vs rear end Boys - 946,000 / 430,000

Q7: End of dumpster match, Jericho vs. Yuta intros - 922,000 /435,000

Q8: Yuta/Jericho, Mox promo - 892,000 / 407,000

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Toni and Hayter are interesting additions to the title scene, and I want to see Rosa’s reign grow on its own terms.

On the other hand, I’m sick to loving death of seeing Britt at this point, and I honestly want her to gently caress off or at least take a back seat and give someone else a go for a change. Even without the belt, it just feels like she’s smothering the title scene.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Women's Division has a problem that it's venn diagram of good workers/legit stars doesn't overlap that much. They probably should of locked down Riho more for shows though as she was a legit ratings mover (also the Bunny shouldn't have gotten hurt...the real needle mover)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

edogawa rando posted:

Toni and Hayter are interesting additions to the title scene, and I want to see Rosa’s reign grow on its own terms.

On the other hand, I’m sick to loving death of seeing Britt at this point, and I honestly want her to gently caress off or at least take a back seat and give someone else a go for a change. Even without the belt, it just feels like she’s smothering the title scene.

Has she even been on that much lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Has she even been on that much lately?

She's kamer'd into just about every segment involving Rosa and Britt.