Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Why would a Warner-Discovery that's facing the prospect of paying through the nose to keep NBA coverage and is cutting costs to the bone in every other aspect give more money to a depreciating asset without having to outbid someone else?

Warner-Discovery is actually spending a lot, despite what you'd think from their tax writeoff nonsense. i'm not sure about tv but they signed a huge deal with tom cruise, they tried to sign tarantino's new thing, leadership is happy to spend future money where they might not even be around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I know that I haven't actively updated this thread as much as I used to, but I put a lot of work into this thread trying to create an atmosphere for an honest, neutral discussion about AEW's business, both the positive and negative aspects of it.

I'm going to ask nicely exactly one time before I go to the mods. Please, please, please do not turn this thread into another AEW slapfight thread.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Pylons posted:

Are you loving stupid?

My sincerest apologies for taking Tony Khan at his word. I shall try and avoid so in the future.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

C. Everett Koop posted:

My sincerest apologies for taking Tony Khan at his word. I shall try and avoid so in the future.

the quote you posted said TBS looks at the demo lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For the record, from Wrestlenomics.

quote:

Updated with competition note: Dynamite ranked #6 for the day in P18-49 on cable. It was outranked by the two NBA playoff games on TNT (0.99, 0.95) and the two NHL playoff games on ESPN (0.38, 0.36), as well as Inside the NBA at 12:12 am (0.35), after the late game on TNT.

#1. Pelicans vs. Thunder on TNT: 2,814,000 viewers; 0.99 P18-49 rating

#2. Heat vs. Celtics on TNT: 2,856,000; 0.95

#3. Bruins vs. Maple Leafs on ESPN: 1,238,000; 0.38

#4. Golden Knights vs. Stars on ESPN: 1,003,000; 0.36

#5. Inside the NBA on TNT: 1,114,000; 0.35

#6. AEW Dynamite on TBS: 683,000; 0.23

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm gonna explain this for you. You cited a 200k drop in the overall number. AEW did not drop 200k in the 18-49 demographic from last year. People usually do not post demo numbers in total figures as Tony does in that snippet you posted, but in the demo they dropped .02 year-over-year. Which can basically be explained by the west coast airing live if you want to be charitable, and if you don't, going from .25 to .23 year-over-year is a good hold.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I don't get it. AEW has numbers just means that AEW is still around. I reckon this will likely continue until aew has no numbers. Then we can be happy they're on HBO or something. Thanks for consistently having numbers TK!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MJeff posted:

I know that I haven't actively updated this thread as much as I used to, but I put a lot of work into this thread trying to create an atmosphere for an honest, neutral discussion about AEW's business, both the positive and negative aspects of it.

I'm going to ask nicely exactly one time before I go to the mods. Please, please, please do not turn this thread into another AEW slapfight thread.

I posted this in the dedicated thread for AEW ratings instead of the hell thread because it's genuine news and a genuine question. It's the lowest rating since the start of 2021 and down 200k from a year ago when there was the same competition in terms of professional sports. It's coming at a time when the much ballyhooed media deal that's supposed to take the company into a solid financial state is to be negotiated. It's a bad time to be having a bad time.

There's this notion that no matter what happens AEW is going to be fine, that as long as they keep putting on good matches everything is going to work itself out. Given that over the past year there has been a downward trend in the overall rating I think it's legitimate to question that notion; at the very least at the presumed financial amounts that have been thrown around as speculation by Meltzer/Thurston/co. Posting a quote from Tony from a week ago where he's saying that the rating is the most important metric to TBS is apparently irrelevant. Now, it's possible that a streamer comes in, Prime or ESPN+ or someone, and picks up the rights and then number doesn't matter. But until then, number very much matters in the short and long term.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You don't understand what a bad number is in context and people are trying to explain that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

C. Everett Koop posted:

I posted this in the dedicated thread for AEW ratings instead of the hell thread because it's genuine news and a genuine question. It's the lowest rating since the start of 2021 and down 200k from a year ago when there was the same competition in terms of professional sports. It's coming at a time when the much ballyhooed media deal that's supposed to take the company into a solid financial state is to be negotiated. It's a bad time to be having a bad time.

There's this notion that no matter what happens AEW is going to be fine, that as long as they keep putting on good matches everything is going to work itself out. Given that over the past year there has been a downward trend in the overall rating I think it's legitimate to question that notion; at the very least at the presumed financial amounts that have been thrown around as speculation by Meltzer/Thurston/co. Posting a quote from Tony from a week ago where he's saying that the rating is the most important metric to TBS is apparently irrelevant. Now, it's possible that a streamer comes in, Prime or ESPN+ or someone, and picks up the rights and then number doesn't matter. But until then, number very much matters in the short and long term.

You posted a quote from Tony Khan talking about the 18-49 demo to support your argument about a drop in the P2+.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pylons posted:

I'm gonna explain this for you. You cited a 200k drop in the overall number. AEW did not drop 200k in the 18-49 demographic from last year. People usually do not post demo numbers in total figures as Tony does in that snippet you posted, but in the demo they dropped .02 year-over-year. Which can basically be explained by the west coast airing live if you want to be charitable, and if you don't, going from .25 to .23 year-over-year is a good hold.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cmon guys.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Dumb but sincere ratings question: if the only thing that really matters is the demo, what is the purpose of showing total viewers?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

a dumb moron posted:

Dumb but sincere ratings question: if the only thing that really matters is the demo, what is the purpose of showing total viewers?

Different networks value different things and different things have different amounts of value. Trying to boil it down to "the only thing that matters" is missing the forest for the trees. Everything matters and for a product like AEW, total viewership is important, because you're never too old to buy a wrestling ticket, t-shirt or pay per view. But networks are concerned with the ads that they can sell, so the main thing motivating the decision of where to spend their money is demographics that contain viewers that are most likely to buy stuff they see advertised on TV.

"The demo", as in, 18-49 viewership, is just one of many many demographics. There's a ton of breakdowns among age groups, gender, etc. that the networks have access to, in addition to total viewership.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Not to mention, executives aren't stupid about some things. And while the overall number was down and they would notice that, context is going to matter and when you're still pulling in over half a million viewers when up against 4 playoff games all happening on the same night, you can infer from that the product still has a pretty strong audience.

You want a high ceiling, yes. But sometimes you're also keeping eyes out for a high floor, too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I waited for SpoilerTV to post the full rankings for yesterday, just because I wanted to be completely through about this and I'm gonna use this week as an example to illustrate just how this works.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2024/04/tv-ratings-for-wednesday-24th-april-2024.html

So obviously, you've got the two NBA playoff games at the top with .99s and .95s. It's the NBA, it's the playoffs. Absolutely no surprises there. Dynamite is almost always behind the two playoff games.
Then you've got the two NHL playoff games. AEW is almost always ahead of the NHL during the regular season, but ESPN and Turner have done a really, really good job presenting the playoffs, so they've become significantly more popular. So AEW is behind those this week.
Then you've got Inside the NBA, the post-game show, which, y'know, has an NBA playoff game with a .99 as a lead-in.
Then you've got AEW. The only things it's behind are live sports and a live sports post-show, it's at a .23. Is this a GREAT rating? No, it's lower than their average, which lately has been around a .27-.30 range.

Then look at the rest of the top 10. You've got a .18, a .17, a .16, a .16 and a .15. You're barely still in the .10s by the time you get outside the top 20.

Is this a good rating? No, not really. Is it a bad rating? Look at the rest of the cable originals on Wednesday and then you tell me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MJeff posted:

Then you've got the two NHL playoff games. AEW is almost always ahead of the NHL during the regular season, but ESPN and Turner have done a really, really good job presenting the playoffs, so they've become significantly more popular. So AEW is behind those this week.

A lot of more casual fans who don't watch regular season hockey will tune in for the playoffs too. Like significantly more. Which is also a part of it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, you couldn't get me to watch Flyers vs. Penguins on a Wednesday Night in January if you put a fuckin' gun to my head, but I'm pretty locked in on the playoffs this year.

But even independent of that, it is noteworthy how much better of a product the NHL playoffs are on ESPN and TNT than they were with NBC. The finals in particular do great ratings now, compared to what they did on NBCSN.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's also worth noting what's on network TV on Wednesdays right now.

Survivor is doing almost 5 million viewers and a .74 in the demo between 8 and 10. Survivor always impacts AEW's ratings, it does a huge demo.

Just for comparison, on Monday nights your big network TV show right now is The Voice. That also does about 5 million viewers but it only pulls a .41 in the demo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A Fancy Hat posted:

It's also worth noting what's on network TV on Wednesdays right now.

Survivor is doing almost 5 million viewers and a .74 in the demo between 8 and 10. Survivor always impacts AEW's ratings, it does a huge demo.

Just for comparison, on Monday nights your big network TV show right now is The Voice. That also does about 5 million viewers but it only pulls a .41 in the demo.

yeah and it's also been running 90 minute episodes the last two seasons so it's cutting into 75% of Dynamite instead of just half

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wow, Tony Khan isn't playing around and is swinging back at ALL of his competitors!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

STING 64 posted:

Wow, Tony Khan isn't playing around and is swinging back at ALL of his competitors!

The ideal person to be molded by The Learning Tree, Chris Jericho.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

IcePhoenix posted:

A lot of more casual fans who don't watch regular season hockey will tune in for the playoffs too. Like significantly more. Which is also a part of it.

its me

MJeff posted:

Yeah, you couldn't get me to watch Flyers vs. Penguins on a Wednesday Night in January if you put a fuckin' gun to my head

i only get like one pens game a year here :(

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://pwinsider.com/article.php?id=183158&p=1

quote:

Since there was a lot of talk about this week's AEW Dynamite audience drop, I reached out to a source at WBD today, who noted that internally, the company was actually "really happy" with this week's Dynamite numbers.

The source noted that AEW had a lot of competition due to the NBA and NHL Playoffs and that AEW still 6th for the evening on basic cable. Three of those shows that hit a higher audience in the demo were made up off NBA coverage on TNT, which internally were considered "in the same family" by WBD. The source noted that when they remove those competitors, only ESPN coverage of the NHL playoffs scored higher that evening. AEW beat everything else on basic cable this past Wednesday in the 18-49 demo.

The source also noted that with the West Coast feed not airing at 8 PM Eastern due to the NBA coverage and the audio issues that TBS were having (which we are told happened at the TBS uplink itself, not from AEW's end), there were additional obstacles that AEW could not control and that internally, WBD were good with the numbers when they came in - and that they expect those numbers to be even better when they factor in the +3 and +7 viewings via DVRs, etc.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wonder if people at WB are like why do these weirdos keep asking us about how we feel about this one show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is actually a super interesting insight into how Warner views the ratings. If I'm reading this right, they consider AEW and NBA in the same family, so if the top three for the night are two NBA games and AEW, then they don't view that as AEW being in third, they view that as a sweep of the top three for Warner.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MJeff posted:

This is actually a super interesting insight into how Warner views the ratings. If I'm reading this right, they consider AEW and NBA in the same family, so if the top three for the night are two NBA games and AEW, then they don't view that as AEW being in third, they view that as a sweep of the top three for Warner.

I was going to dispute your claim since I swore I remembered AEW being separate from the other sports offerings at upfront, but according to WBD themselves it's part of the overall package. https://wbd.com/tnt-sports/

Excluding the limited time offerings like the NCAA Tournament and The Match golf stuff, AEW being part of this category is actually good for them since it allows their ad rates to be part of a negotiated package, with the NBA being the tide that raises all ships. Advertisers can still request that their products not be included on certain programming (in the same way a number of Fox News opinion shows would be excluded in mass cable ad buys), but none of us are going to know if anyone's requested such a thing outside of maybe Dominos.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

Yeah, you couldn't get me to watch Flyers vs. Penguins on a Wednesday Night in January if you put a fuckin' gun to my head, but I'm pretty locked in on the playoffs this year.

But even independent of that, it is noteworthy how much better of a product the NHL playoffs are on ESPN and TNT than they were with NBC. The finals in particular do great ratings now, compared to what they did on NBCSN.

At the time I thought the NBC deal was an okay to good one for the NHL but boy howdy was that wrong given how much better the ESPN/TNT stuff is even in the regular season. Just night and day in exposure

Also given the quality of ad buys and how WBD views ratings I'm sure they're happy with the ratings as all reports say. The big question is a the big increase happy or small increase happy

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

as much as i make fun of aew and how fun it is to doompost about number bad at times dynamite is a massive hit and the only way aew is in any trouble is if tony khan is insanely greedy with his demands or he decides the only measure of success is comparing his ratings to raw or smackdown

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SatoshiMiwa posted:

At the time I thought the NBC deal was an okay to good one for the NHL but boy howdy was that wrong given how much better the ESPN/TNT stuff is even in the regular season. Just night and day in exposure

Also given the quality of ad buys and how WBD views ratings I'm sure they're happy with the ratings as all reports say. The big question is a the big increase happy or small increase happy

NBCSports was a literal cancer to hockey

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

It's a shame aew is going bankrupt next week

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

MJeff posted:

People like to focus on the granular, but I imagine Warner likes AEW because it allows them to say to ad buyers and cable providers “our networks have the top 3/5/whatever many shows on Mondays through Thursdays, more money thanks.” Theres a reason Warner is slowly rebranding Tru as TNT Sports, and it’s not because a single NHL regular season game rates poorly.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MJeff posted:

As a non-business person, the other thing I take away from how Warner views things is that it's easier to bounce people between their channels than it is to get them back after they go to another company's channels. I know there's NBA ads during AEW, and I assume there's AEW ads during NBA games, and I assume that ad time is relatively cheap because they're basically selling it to themselves. If you leave one for the other, you're still seeing ads for the first one so you're probably coming back if you still care at all. If you go watch the NHL playoffs on ESPN, you're watching ads for Survivor or something and AEW isn't sticking in their minds unless Warner shells out for ads on a competing network and some of those people are gone forever. So, if they want a steady audience, losing audience to something big on your own network is fine.

I guess my point is, even as a layman the wider context is interesting to think about.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

An expanded version of this

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pylons posted:

An expanded version of this

I don't know why the image didn't load here.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Someone with knowledge of TV answer this for me please:

It seems like TNT is losing the NBA. And it even seems like they are willingly letting it go.

Doesn’t that seem…I dunno…batshit insane?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

a dumb moron posted:

Someone with knowledge of TV answer this for me please:

It seems like TNT is losing the NBA. And it even seems like they are willingly letting it go.

Doesn’t that seem…I dunno…batshit insane?

NBC is making a strong play to get the last package of NBA rights. WBD could still match but they might be priced out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
From what I've read, it sounds like.

- The exclusive negotiating period with Disney and WBD ended without a deal.
- Amazon has a deal in principle for a chunk of games.
- Disney is expected to pay 2.6 billion for their chunk of games.
- NBC is preparing to outbid WBD for their chunk of games.
- WBD has right to match but might just get outbid.

It sounds a lot like this is NBC's side of the story. We'll see. However it shakes out, it seems like everybody is getting fewer games and everything is gonna be more spread out across various networks and streamers.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So Dave broke it down thusly, paraphrasing a bit.

NBC offered 2.5 billion for the C package, which is a lot more than anybody expected.
WBD has right of first refusal but 2.5 is basically what they make in carriage fees so it doesn't make much financial sense.
If WBD loses the NBA, they'll lose ranking (and thus probably have to reduce carriage fees and thus lose yearly revenue) but they'll have the money they would've spent on the NBA lying around.

Dave seems to think they're gonna lose it because it makes no sense for them to pay that much. As for how this affects AEW, it's hard to say because there's so many variables but it absolutely does affect the negotiations with AEW.

Honestly it seems really hard to say whether it's better or worse for AEW for WBD to keep or lose the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MJeff posted:

So Dave broke it down thusly, paraphrasing a bit.

NBC offered 2.5 billion for the C package, which is a lot more than anybody expected.
WBD has right of first refusal but 2.5 is basically what they make in carriage fees so it doesn't make much financial sense.
If WBD loses the NBA, they'll lose ranking (and thus probably have to reduce carriage fees and thus lose yearly revenue) but they'll have the money they would've spent on the NBA lying around.

Dave seems to think they're gonna lose it because it makes no sense for them to pay that much. As for how this affects AEW, it's hard to say because there's so many variables but it absolutely does affect the negotiations with AEW.

Honestly it seems really hard to say whether it's better or worse for AEW for WBD to keep or lose the NBA.

Yeah it makes AEW more valuable, but if I am reading between the lines, it seems that WBD doesn’t really have the money lying around like it seems.