Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hey, this is the worst idea in the goddamn world, but wanna take a field trip to Abbotsford with me for, uh, reasons, and then meet CSB for, uh, other reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kastein posted:

Hey, this is the worst idea in the goddamn world, but wanna take a field trip to Abbotsford with me for, uh, reasons, and then meet CSB for, uh, other reasons?

Goon orgies never end well

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

:gooncamp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

Might want to test fit a large Red Bull can first.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cursedshitbox posted:

The voltec system was brilliant. The gas generator was about as refined as the iron duke that powers Grumman LLVs. The platform is very...Opel. I liked it. It's heavy down low and corners like a sled. The car was sold to me having everything. It had everything except ACC. Turns out it was 2 months too old to have the harness. I had the car for maybe 6 months and 1500 miles. Camped in it a couple times. 2020 happened and all of a sudden I didn't need 2 motos, a truck, and a car.

It too made an excellent camper. Plug it in, put a hair scrunchie over the gear switch lockout and the hvac system stays live.

I would totally harvest parts from one to use as a hybrid conversion.
I worked on the gen 2 volt, on the engine specifically. :argh: at the bolded part. Pretty much all of the engineering was done in the US, at least the powertrain. I don't remember how much Opel was involved at that point. Usually cursed at, I just wanted to give some of the :911: engineers an ounce of credit. We can make good vehicles... when the stars align.

It was a great car and so much better than the gen 1, especially with mass. I was sad when it was killed off, something they probably regret doing in hindsight. It's been awhile since then but it's probably the product I was most proud of.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I worked on the gen 2 volt, on the engine specifically. :argh: at the bolded part. Pretty much all of the engineering was done in the US, at least the powertrain. I don't remember how much Opel was involved at that point. Usually cursed at, I just wanted to give some of the :911: engineers an ounce of credit. We can make good vehicles... when the stars align.

It was a great car and so much better than the gen 1, especially with mass. I was sad when it was killed off, something they probably regret doing in hindsight. It's been awhile since then but it's probably the product I was most proud of.

I salute you sir, you helped engineer a fantastic vehicle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Suburban Dad posted:

It was disappointing they killed the platform. for a gm product it punched well above its weight. My complaints with the ice is purely in open loop on cold start. it was rough and loud, despite the car having 18k-mi. I sent it over to chev for a pcm update and reflash that kind of helped but didn't. Once warm it was fine. Sometimes on startup it would be rough enough I could feel it in the floorpan. But as we're learning in this thread not every example is the same and I'm a poo poo magnet for outliers.

I'd prob still have the car if it weren't for 2020 and all that it entails. It was magnificent at road trips. I like its sorta-related sibling, the ELR too but those go for far far too much money.

Illipah campground, 5/16/23

Attempted to drive to the ghost town of Hamilton. That was met with roadblocks at nearly every turn.

Once was a road here. Not now.

Then climbing up over 9500' asl into parts of NV neither of us have ever seen before.

And of course, back into the snow. It's a rubican'tmake it today. There's still 3 miles to go and it looks like part of the road is completely covered. It's a long way down so it's best to not try risk driving through the snow.

Now this is a tow vehicle, like goddamn.

Onward to Ely, NV. Where we visited just a few months ago. But without the Jeep.

The mtb trails here are intense. And I'm out of shape again. There's also a metric shitload of mosquitos as the snow melts.

It's also raining, pretty much every afternoon. The rig is in a bowl between two peaks, the weather in this spot is very unpredictable.

We're in Ely for about 10 days. And we visited The Ely Rail Museum finally..
The blacksmithing shop is one of the most original in the machine room. There's 75 photos. Do click through.

Rode 81.
https://i.imgur.com/kcQPrzg.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_ZH-QWFNo

93 will be up and running in about a year.

With the ultrasound done on 40, it's a few years out.

There's a 10M dollar grant awarded to extend the line back up to McGill, NV.

This weekend was also the memorial for Dirt. Dirt was the shop cat. Born under a locomotive and chose to stick around for the 15 years of his life. He lives on as the museum's mascot.

Dirt was against being cleaned like any proper shop cat. Not super sociable but stuck around. I missed his passing by not even a month. Dammit.

Though not related, I did catch a shot of Dirt Jr.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

It was disappointing they killed the platform. for a gm product it punched well above its weight. My complaints with the ice is purely in open loop on cold start. it was rough and loud, despite the car having 18k-mi. I sent it over to chev for a pcm update and reflash that kind of helped but didn't. Once warm it was fine. Sometimes on startup it would be rough enough I could feel it in the floorpan. But as we're learning in this thread not every example is the same and I'm a poo poo magnet for outliers.

I'd prob still have the car if it weren't for 2020 and all that it entails. It was magnificent at road trips. I like its sorta-related sibling, the ELR too but those go for far far too much money.

Cat light off to warm it up quickly for emissions. Since the engine was rarely coupled to the wheels like a normal car we were able to do whatever was needed for best efficiency. I'm not sure if that meant that it idled higher at cold start but yeah the noise when the engine started cold wasn't great. Everything is a trade off.

Love the pics as always.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Dirt's chasing rats in all the demolished roundhouses, hanging out with the old steam hoggers and the ghosts of engines past. I always loved seeing their posts of him on Facebook.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Down off the mountain. I swear this is a lot more steep and lovely than it looks. Steep enough I wasn't riding it on a mtb.

July 29th. State #25; Utah.

I finally see an Earthroamer for 2022. Wonder if it still has the 6L or if it has undergone surgery into a Fummins.

Oh deer. East of Salina, UT.

I later learn that these trees are Aspens.

Overlook at 8900' asl. The road is blocked above here with snow.

It's really quiet. However not private.

As evidenced back to camp.

About half a mile behind the current campsite is another that's a lot more secluded, and off camber enough to keep out most RVs.
A short hike away is this pond with a lot of frogs.

More deer!

The water pump finally lost one of the one way valves. There's 4 internally. It's a $30 valve block to rebuild. Something to Amazon in Grand Junction.

Since we're extending our run time out here. Sourdough sandwich loaf.

This is around when I learn kastein is headed west as I'm headed east. His jeep isn't doing so hot and I've a second room with a airbed and food. If he needs a repower in the rockies I'm down to help. We make plans and hit the road to meet up around Grand Junction.

Down off the mountain from 9000 feet to about 6000'. Turn east on 70 and drive.

Spouse radios me, hey are you going slow on purpose? I hadn't been paying attention outside of just babysitting the throttle and managing the road. I lean into the power a bit more but it largely seems like there's a big time headwind like what would slow up donk, it shouldn't phase this thing.

Annnnd it felt like it lost fuel to the fuel system and I stabbed the brake hard at the same time. Like physically jerked the truck forward. I look down at the gauges, there's no boost.
Radio up, hey the truck's loosing power I don't know what's going on.

Pull over. Pop the hood. Tinka tinka tinka the turbo is going. We look at each other. gently caress this. Slam the hood and turn around to run for Salt Lake City as fast and hard as we can. Like last time once it cools it is dead in the water.

I message ken at some point letting him know what's going down and how I don't want him involved with roadside turbo shenanigans on this piece of poo poo.

The truck made it halfway from Green River to almost Provo before it was getting too dire to continue. The transmission went into gently caress You mode so I dropped it into manual mode and manually thumbed through the gears. Power band was all of 1800-2500rpm. No more. No less. 45mph on a 80mph interstate.
June 7th, 2023.

Turns out the turbocharger seized. It's getting oil therefore it's a faulty reman. Driving off the mountain near Salina presented the same conditions like back in Bishop. I dropped off a mountain top from cold to hot, with the exhaust brake on and not much load, then got everything nice and hot on the highway.

I bought a used oem non-remanufactured turbo for this piece of poo poo while I was interviewing for work on the west coast. Turns out ford has no turbos at all for it at the moment. I got the dream job then they ghosted me on the start date so I came back out here to deal with the truck while I continue interviewing at other places since I probably won't have time to deal with the truck till next year at the earliest. Tomorrow morning I'm throwing a turbo in and making a slow and gentle drive to CA where this truck is being immediately sold.

We bought a more modern truck to alleviate truck problems. Turns out, it's not any better, but much worse.
This is the end of the road for this thread.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 16, 2023

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
drat, that’s brutal

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know anyone who has popped two turbos on this motor. That is impressive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Hey, this thread looks fun! I bet it's filled with stories of adventure and mechanical items conquering all and never failing!

I'm so sorry that you took this turn. Goddamn, I was hoping for a long, reliable voyage. Goonspeed.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
Your trip chronicles have been an impressive log in dealing with automotive adversity. Holy hell, if anyone deserves their luck to improve, it is you.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Next up, CSB gets pissed and completely rebuilds his apartment with a 3d printer and a bucket of epoxy

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This has been one of my absolute favorite threads in AI, what a journey.

And good riddance to that modern piece of poo poo truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thank you for sharing the adventure and all ford shitbox related shenanigans

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow that is amazingly poo poo. Is this just "bad luck" or is the takeaway that these trucks aren't as heavy duty as advertised?

Clearly you're being fairly demanding of it, but my impression sas that these are intended as work machines and should be capable of doing this stuff for an extended period of time.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

This has been one of my favourite threads to follow along. Been constantly awestruck by your expertise, ingenuity and grit. Also got to see some absolutely incredible looking landscapes, cool museums and delicious food (thanks mightily for sharing the recipes!)

Hope that whatever comes next for you is less bullshit than that horrendous ute.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Amazing thread. The scale of repairs under this is where it broke conditions is insane.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This could be a book at this point, with that hood up photo on the cover. "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ford bomb"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

randomidiot posted:

This could be a book at this point, with that hood up photo on the cover. "How I learned to stop worrying and chuck all fords into the sun through sheer anger and rage"

Fixed for CSB

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I got a free '05 Audi Quattro cabriolet. Got 17-fault codes on the top alone. Then the rear passenger window regulator exploded.

Dumped it to Kars for Kids. I'm no CSB.

Good luck on the Dream Job. Your perfect overland truck is out there, and I'm here to see it when it happens

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What a thread. And that loving turbo eating truck. :argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm still amazed by how loving bad that allegedly better 6.7 was, and feel bad for abetting its purchase.

Christ, what a bad decision, in hindsight.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I'm still amazed by how loving bad that allegedly better 6.7 was, and feel bad for abetting its purchase.

Christ, what a bad decision, in hindsight.

same, I feel bad for thinking it was a step up fron the never ending broken frames of donk

I cant believe its somehow worse then the engine that ate or ejected loving sparkplugs, and they had to make tools to extract the extraction tool

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ive owned a lot of cars. Most of them pretty bad. This one by far is the most expensive and or the worst car I've ever had the misfortune of running into. This truck even driven gingerly isn't up to the task of hauling this slide in, despite being a full ton below gvwr.

Super Duty My Fat Goony rear end. Y'all at least deserve to see what the old turbo looked like on removal.

I pulled the inlet at the storage yard. the wheel is seized solid. Great it's a poo poo turbo or it's not getting oil. Either way, it needs to go away soon.
The hotside of the turbo got so hot it is now pink.

Driving it a few blocks it lost almost a gallon of oil. It deposited it directly into the dpf. It smokes like all hell after about 15 mins of running. Turbo is clearly getting oil.
We had planned to swap the turbo at a campsite some miles away from Nephi, UT. (Nee-phi otherwise they'll judge you if you ever decide to stop there)
That didn't happen so I picked an open cement lot.

One hour fifteen minutes in, the turbo is out.

Compressor.

Turbine.

https://i.imgur.com/0HnBPjf.mp4

3.5 hours total, 4 from driving to driving. DPF was packed to north of 150% designed load. It threw a fit and went into immediate regen, smoking out the town. Some locals liked the sight, I abhorred it.
It also threw the 'wrench' icon to take it in for a stationary regen. I like to think it means it's time to fix the 6.7 again.

60 miles later around 10 am pushing 95F, we decide on lunch.
Pull in, walk around. Puddle. Big Puddle. From what looks to be the hot side. God loving Dammit This Mother loving Truck.
The wrench icon was on the nose.
This was right after I noticed it. It was about 3x as big after lunch.

Guy I bought the turbo from I guess decided to remove the plug on the chra. I didn't bother to check because who does that sorta thing. Well it finished rattling out right as I parked the truck.

2 quarts down. It almost ate its fifth turbo on the same day I put it in. Put the plug back in and other than the gargantuan mess it made of everything, it was fine.

If you own one of these without a warranty, get loving rid of it asap.
At this point I do not think there is anyway to fix this thing and maintain emissions compliance. It is excruciatingly hard on turbos when loaded. I am unwilling to test this theory.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 17, 2023

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
:suspense:

Jesus Christ

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

gently caress me, that ended up being a very lovely truck.

My uncle used a 2005 V-10 F250 crew cab, long bed SRW to tow both the 24ft racecar trailer (quarter midgets) and his 20ft route-delivery cargo trailer, racking up 175,000 from new until around 2009. I used the thing, sometimes with and sometimes without the cargo trailer, for the next two years. Hook up at night and it was just like, "Let's go to work. Dum dee dum." Zero problems with it outside of a weird misfire, which we fixed by selectively swapping coils with the Mustang.

The same could not be said for the 2010 6.4 F250, in the same configuration, which supplemented the V-10. From day one the truck started having problems towing the same trailers on the exact same roads. It lasted four months before he lemon-lawed it. One each blown high and low turbo, three sets of rear brakes, two PCM reflashes, the hood popped open on the highway once (cable too short, it turned out), and the back window would not stop leaking.

I had to rescue him and the trailer three times with, you guessed it, the V-10. Turned the man off diesel trucks forever.

Then again, my granddad (him of the neverending brick nose 250s) was able to keep his 2003 6.Ohno going until the end of his life. Literally. He drove it to the hospice facility with a failing liver. Next owner popped the head gasket a month later.

Lessons:

1. Don't buy a Ford.
2. If you do, don't buy another.
3. Don't buy a truck off my grandad.
4. If you do, don't buy another from his estate.

Two of these lessons are easy to learn, two are impossible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

For gently caress's sake, did Ford set out to make the turbo on that piece of poo poo a consumable part?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

For gently caress's sake, did Ford set out to make the turbo on that piece of poo poo a consumable part?

Truck's the loss leader, they make profit on the turbos. :v:

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Ive owned a lot of cars. Most of them pretty bad. This one by far is the most expensive and or the worst car I've ever had the misfortune of running into.
And its not like it was a lemon or anything, they're that bad from my limited experience with a 450.

Thanks for the effort in all these posts, more so after all the pain its put you through. I'm very impressed with how fast you were able to swap the latest turbo out but completely understand why you would never want to touch one of these again.

madeintaipei posted:

1. Don't buy a Ford.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

gently caress me, that ended up being a very lovely truck.

My uncle used a 2005 V-10 F250 crew cab, long bed SRW to tow both the 24ft racecar trailer (quarter midgets) and his 20ft route-delivery cargo trailer, racking up 175,000 from new until around 2009. I used the thing, sometimes with and sometimes without the cargo trailer, for the next two years. Hook up at night and it was just like, "Let's go to work. Dum dee dum." Zero problems with it outside of a weird misfire, which we fixed by selectively swapping coils with the Mustang.

The same could not be said for the 2010 6.4 F250, in the same configuration, which supplemented the V-10. From day one the truck started having problems towing the same trailers on the exact same roads. It lasted four months before he lemon-lawed it. One each blown high and low turbo, three sets of rear brakes, two PCM reflashes, the hood popped open on the highway once (cable too short, it turned out), and the back window would not stop leaking.

I had to rescue him and the trailer three times with, you guessed it, the V-10. Turned the man off diesel trucks forever.

Then again, my granddad (him of the neverending brick nose 250s) was able to keep his 2003 6.Ohno going until the end of his life. Literally. He drove it to the hospice facility with a failing liver. Next owner popped the head gasket a month later.

Lessons:

1. Don't buy a Ford.

And so to draw parallels. Ford copied some notes off the 6.4 which was Navistar's entry into common-rail tech.
Both of them run kind of fragile high pressure fuel pumps. The 6.4 one moreso.
The pickup version of the 6.7 has a single turbo with two wheels that effectively works like the 6.4 high and low turbo setup. the cab chassis trucks don't have this and it's only the low turbo. It is worked to its death as I have shown despite making 100hp less than the pickup.
The 6.0/6.4 cab chassis trucks made the same power as the pickup. The de-rate started with the 6.7

The 6.4 fired the back two injectors during the exhaust stroke for regen duties. This burnt those bores up. The 6.7 fires the left bank of cylinders. This fires fuel through the turbo and into the exhaust system. This runs the turbo and exhaust system wicked hot. Otherwise I don't think this is a problem underway.
Both engines are packaged about the same density under the hood, this is not good for longevity of the plastic bits used, let alone ceramic bearing turbos.

I was the sole fleet mechanic for a fleet of 6Ls about 13 years ago. I could more or less keep em running till the company got tired of throwing parts at them. 2 vans, 2 E450s, and a F250. I bought the F250. I did 6.0 things in one of the E450s whose cab couldn't be removed. The F250 was the last to pop and when it did they sold the entire fleet off. The two vans were non stop problem children.
I kind of wanted to get a 550 of this vintage because they're dirt cheap, I know em well, and they're fixable. This 6.7? maybe in 20 years. I'm Disinterested after this experience.

I considered hauling this truck back west on a hook next spring and pulling the cab. It was gonna be about 15 thou to pull the engine down to a shortblock and go through it.

Pulling the engine from the transmission, requires new hardware.
Pulling the fuel system off the engine, requires new plumbing hardware. To remove the valve covers, means removing the fuel system.
Pulling the heads, requires new hardware. They'd get tossed for the '15+ heads with fewer issues, and get s t e e l studs rather than stainless everywhere. I can't field service stainless when it gets moody.
The oil pan has a thermostatic oil cooler bypass valve and some other bits inside. I suspect the blanking plug has turned in the bore but I'm not certain. Discovery here requires more one time use parts.
While I'm at it, Stanadyne DCR that won't die when I get to the hinterlands with lousy fuel, and aftermarket billetized GT37.

I don't love this thing enough for that. It's a toaster that's burning my loving toast!
The guy I bought my turbo from bought a fleet maintained F350 cab chassis with 160k-mi. Full history, the works, just like mine but with 60k-more miles. This loving truck of mine doesn't even have 100k-mi on it.
Turns out the rockers/lifters/pushrods ate itself because in fleet, the wrong oil was used. (probably because B20 was ran through the engine which requires different oil). I told him of my road side turbo follies and his eyes got big because apparently you don't do that. I explained my intent to use this turbo to sell the truck. That was the smart move he explained after spending a year and a half building a new 6.7. He said that he can never sell the truck because of what he's put into the engine. That's me and the brick. It's already my 'forever' truck. I don't want two 'forever' trucks.

Donk has a dinosaur for a turbo comparatively. No VGT. No liquid cooling. No ball bearings. Straight up Journal bushings. It does have a 5 axis cnc'd compressor but at the end of the day it's still a T3/T4 hybrid from 1993. It survived being shut down piping hot in death valley when the coolant pump exploded. It was run right up against thermal limits out west with the dying radiator. It saw 600-650C regularly with the dying idi. It survived under this camper for 20 thousand miles, and even ate a half-gallon of oil every 40 miles when the 7.3 was down two holes. The replacement idi didn't miss a beat under this camper. The old one more or less didn't start showing its death knells till I got to the midwest when the pump-on-hospice started to come apart.

Edit: should also say that every turbo from ford right now is backordered. The one I grabbed is an oem-non-reman to the tune of 3k new. All the service parts for the turbo is also backordered from ford. Why deal with modern poo poo when the parts availability is just as dire.

It seems to me that these engines are cost engineered to the letter. While in a pickup they seem just fine. Heavy haul that sees constant work duty? no way friend these are not up to the task. They probably can be, but it won't be my hand unless it's for a paying customer for I am not footing that bill.

Woo that's wordy.

TL;DR

madeintaipei posted:

Lessons:

1. Don't buy a Ford.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 17, 2023

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Excited to see what you do next.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

The 6.4 fired the back two injectors during the exhaust stroke for regen duties. This burnt those bores up. The 6.7 fires the left bank of cylinders. This fires fuel through the turbo and into the exhaust system. This runs the turbo and exhaust system wicked hot.

Jesus, all that just to avoid putting an injector in the exhaust?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

And so to draw parallels.

*why, oh God, why*

I was the sole fleet mechanic for a fleet of 6Ls about 13 years ago. I could more or less keep em running till the company got tired of throwing parts at them. 2 vans, 2 E450s, and a F250. I bought the F250. I did 6.0 things in one of the E450s whose cab couldn't be removed. The F250 was the last to pop and when it did they sold the entire fleet off. The two vans were non stop problem children.
I kind of wanted to get a 550 of this vintage because they're dirt cheap, I know em well, and they're fixable. This 6.7? maybe in 20 years. I'm Disinterested after this experience.

I considered hauling this truck back west on a hook next spring and pulling the cab. It was gonna be about 15 thou to pull the engine down to a shortblock and go through it.

*words from braver man than I*

It seems to me that these engines are cost engineered to the letter. While in a pickup they seem just fine. Heavy haul that sees constant work duty? no way friend these are not up to the task. They probably can be, but it won't be my hand unless it's for a paying customer for I am not footing that bill.

Woo that's wordy.

Fleet mechanic with 6.Zeros, man. I guess it was probably pretty good if you were paid hourly.

I've driven quite a few International 4000 series trucks with the VT365. They were... fine? Route delivery, so they worked 5 days a week, with a mix of long highway runs and short hops. They went back to the leasing company right at 125,000 miles, which I guess was not enough time for things to really go (really) wrong. I greatly preferred the 466DT trucks.

The F-series and E-series vehicles with the 6.0 never lasted that long. My guys would get an F-250 and sell it on once it cost them $10k. That, or the truck/van came packaged with their route, they'd spend over $10k on it, then sell it with the route for some other poor schmuck to deal with.

That reminds me of the weirdest bread truck I drove. 6.0 E-450 chassis/cab, 20ft long and 9.5ft tall box, and a very odd cab. It sat lower over the frame than an equivalent E-350 chassis/cab (I parked them side-by-side) and had a fiberglass roof to very awkwardly access the pass-through.

You know it's a "special" truck when it has a name. On the transmission tunnel was an over-sized piece of plastic embossing tape with one word. PRINCESS. A poo poo ton of BanksPower parts, 4 inch exhaust, tuner, cooling system, ARP studs, just a stupid amount of poo poo for a work vehicle. She'd scoot though! Mash it in fourth, loaded, and she's squat, whistle, and burn the duals. Handled like a drunk pig.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

30 min of a 6.0 van fleet mechanic talking about the engines. Dude's got that far away look in his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl93kwj5pwY

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a friend who wants to buy a 350 with the 6.7. I'm going to show him this thread.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The pickup version is going to be different, not to accidentally enable someone else to stare into the void of these things, but CSB is definitely a cautionary tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Watch Wes Work has a fun time with a 6.0 Power Stroke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyUiNim1_U