Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sucks to hear about people being lovely, so far the only objectionable thing I've seen about your whole trip is the Ford.

It also looks like you should have brought the bikes with but I understand your weight concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Wish I knew that museum was there three years ago. Also would have loved to see the engine out of that thing, the bird and the Saturn V.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm picturing the next bus having a deployable 4wd camper van like a star trek shuttle. Complete with shaking camera effects and alarm noises whenever something breaks.

Still looks like an awesome trip despite the trouble.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Buy the silo, fix it there. Sorry about having to drive across the Dakotas, I was ready to gouge my eyes out with a screwdriver it was such a boring drive. I was ready to quit my job after that trip.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
My experience with the 6.7 diesel is poor, I'm guessing there are aftermarket fixes for a lot of it but those aren't happening to a fleet vehicle. The fuel mileage on those is pretty bad on the highway too. The frame would probably be a huge step up however.

I'm voting on getting a 6x6 line truck and building from there, you can take the bucket off the boom and stick antennas or something on there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
They're probably still working on getting a strip mine going.

My 6.7 experience is between 8 to 8.5mpg, not liking keeping its oil in, replacing the "improved" turbo, and rides slightly worse than the last big ford I drove, a 55 F600.

Did you decide against the northwoods or not decide on anything yet?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Theres something to be said about just plugging in with a laptop to adjust timing vs loving around with springs and weights and other poo poo like that. I'm just glad that's the one part of my old tractor that's never given me any grief.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm not seeing any tree branches to pull the engine with, I'm guessing you have to drive it like this for a little while.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Reminder that its making a solid 50 psi of blowby at idle. I probably don't want to know what its doing at 55mph.

What we have here is a very solid industrially sized (oily) air compressor.

Built in oiler, sounds like a feature to me.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm waiting to see how he pulls this engine without a good sized tree nearby, I don't see any engine hoist.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Guy staying in a 90s Dodge B series extended van walks over to give us kudos and that we're crazy for undertaking such a project. He hopes that we can finish it. Not an if my dude, when.
I should also say it's going to snow tomorrow.

Nothing like a little weather related motivation to help out.

e: I picked up my hoist from Farm and Fleet, looks exactly like the hf one but I feel like it's less sketchy for no good reason.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A half ton pickup is going to absolutely suck with any real load in the bed or behind it. A 3/4 ton will be too light for a nice truck camper but will at least have a transmission and suspension above the light duty half ton parts.

CSB has a one ton and is having these issues, there might be an extra thousand pounds of epoxy in there to help beat on that poor old truck.

A van might work but any I've driven have had poo poo leg room for the driver, ymmv.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Long legs, bad knees. A two hour round trip in a Chevy express van and I ate it getting out after, could barely walk the next day.The wheel well takes up the spot your foot is supposed to go. I haven't driven a sprinter but the transit vans have the same issue for me.

If that's not an issue find a Quigley? 4x4 conversion. I've seen some bad rear end looking ones out there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Made a right turn in Albuquerque to get the right parts.
Then nearly made the wrong turn
What's up doc?

Those thermostats don't even look like the same part, more like a "close enough if it fits in the hole" thing.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

This is also where I am thoroughly over google nav.

After the 40th "make a u-turn" its anyone's guess if the phone is getting chucked out the window or you laugh like a maniac at the absurd suggestion.

That C60 looks great, I should have tried to save my grandpa's.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A repair on the camper without epoxy?

How tall are you now with the new ride?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Glass Cockpit

Looks like the biggest upgrade for you was the frame and DRW. I'm constantly blown away by how hard the 6.7 is to work on, hopefully you have it fixed up enough to give you at least a few thousand miles of reliability. Did you get up to 8MPG after cleaning things up?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

The next person that brings up bullshit little trucks is taking a well placed tow hitch to the shin.
I suggested a 6x6 line truck, the fire truck would have also been a good choice. You're already getting 6mpg.

cursedshitbox posted:

Rolling back into Bishop. Know this feel all too well. Must be hard up when the company is pulling the transmission in their own lot.

See, they even have built in jacks to help you with your backcountry drivetrain swaps.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

My username isn't about a car that carries a curse. It's me that is cursed.
Dont feel bad, fords fall to pieces around me too. If anything they need to give you a brand new truck so they can take it apart after you break it to fix the weak points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Ive owned a lot of cars. Most of them pretty bad. This one by far is the most expensive and or the worst car I've ever had the misfortune of running into.
And its not like it was a lemon or anything, they're that bad from my limited experience with a 450.

Thanks for the effort in all these posts, more so after all the pain its put you through. I'm very impressed with how fast you were able to swap the latest turbo out but completely understand why you would never want to touch one of these again.

madeintaipei posted:

1. Don't buy a Ford.
2. If you do, don't buy another.