Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The metal fumes likely playing a part with that

But drat nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
As someone that spent four years up in Ashland Wisconsin (which you likely went through on your way from Duluth!) And drove through the yupper a ton of times. It is insane how breathtaking it is and how empty it is unless you go up there. I had to drive overnight to go back home to Ohio when my grandfather was passing, got out at 1 am to take a piss because nothing was open at that point. Realized that I hadn't seen another vehicle for the last two hours and I could see 100 feet in front of me and past that was a wall of black. You get off route 2 (the south side) or route 13 (the north side) and it's desolate and just little log roads or vacation homes. Pass through tiny towns with a small grocer in someones house and then gone.

Absolutely amazing place, beautiful in every way. Scary as hell to realize all that's around you is forest and deer. Especially at night. So goddamn lucky I never ran into a goddamn deer, especially in the 2010-2013 years when cell service was laughable up there. It's better but likely still garbage. After ten basically everything shut down. You could get gas in iron river, Marquette, and then struggle on to mackinaw so better fill up whenever you could.

Oh and the goddamn blizzards as you reach the borders in the hills by god, got trapped in one on the way back in April one trip, so goddamn lucky my little neon made it through.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I can see the coming storm of pain dear God.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
my god my blue balls rn

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh buy an ambulance pass through, drat things are built tougher then rvs and have a pretty powerful power system.

The city ems uses frieghtliner front ends and by god there's so much room in those fuckers, before you consider the storage outside

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legit if the ambulance box companies had a side business of rv boxes it would be amazing because those things are built to ridiculous standards, insulated, and the storage area are built hard and tough.

I fully want to get a decent ambulance in a few years once I start looking at travel contracts and start tearing it down to get a decent little home away from home I can use if I take a small contract and for traveling. Plumbing would likely be the biggest issue since that's one of the only things it doesn't come standard with.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Rv builder. Those are made in a factory and they source the trucks from dodge, Ford, and gm.

So the car manufacturers won't fix it either and will deny any warranty related to the aftermarket camper welded incorrectly to the frame.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 21, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Quote is not edit christ

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I can feel the impending doom with that last paragraph as the feeling grows more and more.

And I now dread that carvana sells you a loving travesty with massive power train issues because they were buying cars solely on bluebook value and never doing any inspections in things. Made worse because it's a jeep and I'm expecting Chrysler level competence where the engine falls out when you close the hood.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I love this loving thread

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Way it sounds donk will either be parted out or sold off. Just seems like the amount of time money and effort will be massive especially if csb and partner don't really have a permanent home or storage.

Thinks what a 30-40 year old truck? And you likely have a junked as gently caress trans after putting in another engine and a welded frame? As is the amount of time and effort is more then I could see myself doing, however some of it was due to them not having other options ie the frame and engine at the time. Those were spots were you had to do something because you didn't have a second option at the time like you do now, that and the ability to get a transmission that was functional likely was way more risky then the other situations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The blown as in blown truck engine? The hell did you store it at?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Will say your saga and a few others makes.me.wishbthatbthey still made just regular two door trucks, and not extended or crew cabs that could easily be like donk. I think you can still get fleet options but it's just dumb that almost everything that used to be simple two door and easy to convert to a 4x4 is now almost unusable in that way.

My parents got a side by side recently and absolutely love it, and I'm going out with my dad this weekend to ride in it. Makes me wonder how much he would like doing something like donk as he gets closer to retirement, especially since he has the garage and tools to work on stuff like this. As is he's also had a truck, drove a sierra for a decade then a Dakota he ran into the ground, great trucks that just worked even as rust slowly claimed them. Every one he's owned gets a plow and that bed is filled with scrap or debris he's built up while working on stuff.

Favorite memory of that old sierra was it with the plow on, bed filled with scrap metal, hauling a trailer with the rear end end of a civic in it. Just pure dad :unsmith: thing never gave a poo poo, just don't let it get below 1/8 a tank because it got pissy and the fuel gauge was stopped working around then. And it ate like a gallon per 10 miles

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is it a pain for you and your spouse to have to drive separate right now? I'm assuming your not towing the jeep while you are in regular roads.

Ngl I get that the 550 is a princess like you said but god the improvements your describing sound like it was worth it so far, especially for stability and stuff. Let alone the frame not becoming a new twofer like we keep seeing on other trucks.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Honestly I'm happy that besides some goofy Ford poo poo it's not nearly as much a hassle as donk. I get that it's a princess (and it's only been a bit) but it sounds like it's been much less of the hassles you were dealing with. Now when something does go that's a different story of course, modern engine designs are as compact and buried as possible.

And yeah I figured trailering would be something you wouldn't want to do. And while the f550 can handle it I bet donk would have utterly keeled over or been like the donkey it is and tell you to gently caress off.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
makes you wonder if its just maintenance debt, bad design, or the ford dealership doing none of the work you paid them for also.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress I'd buy that in a heartbeat to, likely impossible to get parts but gently caress that thing looks amazing. You'd need to take the lights off it, you can't have any signage or emergency lighting on it as a civilian but drat.

Edit, I thought it said 1938 not 83, so parts aren't as bad. Still drat looks nice.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol if you end up with a job but goddamn. Reman that's likely what way older and way more miles then advertised?

If you aren't going domestic, what would be the next best option then? My knowledge is limited but it seems like the big three are the only ones that really make heavy duty hauling trucks that are rated for what your putting in the bed. Would a tundra have the bed capacity and not tear itself in half?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
lmfao that only domestics basically have frames that dont crumple

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
My dad's workplace can't get auto techs at all, and they pay like 30 an hour right now fresh out of school. The gently caress you expect that you'd get an experienced diesal tech for anything under 25???

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is a big part of the issue the turbos on the diesels? I realize I probably sound like a blithering idiot and reliability of a diesel is miles ahead of gasoline engines, especially in the domestic market. The 550 definitely is much more of a princess then I had originally thought, which after seeing a teardown of an Ecoboost engine from Ford is highly explained by the current sentiment of gently caress Ford.

Besides the complete jackass idea of ceramic parts in the drat bearing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Irregardless of anything else. You and your partner have clearly shown the more dark side of trying to fully live on the road in one of these types of setups, and it's eye opening. I don't think this is just you being cursed, I think most people never realize how hard and rough it can be to actually do this, let alone the "influencers" that never show the difficult side let alone how much blood you've put in. You came in with a ton of previous experiences and tons of prep work and still have fought and bled to get this through, let alone how much you personally do no one else would think of regarding maintenance and checklists.

Personally I was massively surprised the 550 was such a poo poo job at this, and it's been nothing but trouble. It does make me think that it's not just the fact you have it as a cab over, but that you'd be dealing with just as much issues if it was a towed camper to. For sure you've shown how many issues a cab over would be for basically any truck on the market due to weight and frame complications.

Basically I just have learned a lot from you here and it's been a wild ride. You've put up and fixed way more poo poo then I think many people would be able to. Jesus you did an engine swap in the street behind a drat uhaul in basically a day!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ngl on mobile the turbo looks like a kids toy you took out of a playmobile and are putting in the engine. Just looks like lovely shiny plastic instead the turbo is just made of lovely plastic from Ford!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo your right. You brought it up before but a lot of the uplifters weld and otherwise make it impossible to remove the cab. Doing any degree of work may not be feasible with how those trucks are.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Donut released a video about an F550 glam camper, really looks like 7 figures gets you a lovely terrible experience, your setup looks a *billion* times more pleasing and capable and comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uQcxdyAA0

lol yeah, this is somehow way way worse then CSB and how much effort hes put in. that camper is loving rocking back and forth as its driving and when they go offroad you see the entire pass through start cracking.

Oh my god the camper shell is just a terrible thing and is all over the place flexing the frame doing anything.

edit, they broke the loving drive shaft and then the front drive train, and then had to roll this loving behemoth down the hill

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 1, 2023

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God that had to be fun taking the bike out like that. It's definitely a dream at some point.

What were your thoughts in the volt btw? poo poo or just a standard gm car with no bells and whistles?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It is interesting they killed off the volt when it was a great system, but makes sense when they got rid of everything for crossovers as the smallest models. The tech however I think is being used in their hybrids, and the electric drivetrain is what they based the bolt and other new plugins off of.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

randomidiot posted:

This could be a book at this point, with that hood up photo on the cover. "How I learned to stop worrying and chuck all fords into the sun through sheer anger and rage"

Fixed for CSB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I'm still amazed by how loving bad that allegedly better 6.7 was, and feel bad for abetting its purchase.

Christ, what a bad decision, in hindsight.

same, I feel bad for thinking it was a step up fron the never ending broken frames of donk

I cant believe its somehow worse then the engine that ate or ejected loving sparkplugs, and they had to make tools to extract the extraction tool