Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

meatpimp posted:

Jebus, this thread is a ride. Sorry about your starter, that sucks.

Yeah? Oh, sorry, thought you were talking to me.

Sounds like an eventful time in Portland. Just fyi, cursedshitbox, if you want more Powell's books, you can order them online and shipping is free if you spend $50... but that isn't as much fun as actually browsing the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
gently caress Oregon cops, man. I've never had a good interaction with one, especially out in the rurals. Looking forward to the rest of your journey!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

c355n4 posted:

Ouch, also I totally do not see the mountain kitty.

I also didn't see the cat.

drat, looking forward to seeing what the solution is and where things go from here.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

When my in-laws visit this winter, I am gonna sit down with my FIL and show him this whole drat thread. He is gonna love it and then moan about his trailer and how he hates towing the drat thing and I'm gonna pounce and suggest a sprinter conversion.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Just... Do A Van.

Don't be me. Unless he wants a big rear end bathroom, a big rear end bed, a big rear end fridge, and a big rear end oven, Just Do A Van.

There's of course, Earthroamer.

Ok, now I want an Earthroamer.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

builds character posted:

At least it’s not snowing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I feel like we are going to see a campsite engine swap in 6 feet of snow, up hills, both ways, carrying a camper trailer on CSB's back...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Raluek posted:

lol isnt any machine hanging off the back of your rig well oiled

:golfclap:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

I am completely sold on Hwy-395 for my annual trips to and from Oregon. It is such a scenic drive compared to 99 or I5 and I don't have the patience to do the coast any more. Wondering where that abandoned mine was you were looking at. Reminds me of the areas north of Joshua Tree towards Tehachape n such.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, I don't need specifics and am not looking to poach, so vagueness is fine and encouraged! My partner and I joke about moving north east of Salton all the time but we just like living near people now (Coachella valley). We both grew up in pretty rural Oregon and visit during the fires (our parents visit us in the winter so we've all become snowbirds in a way).

Definitely looking forward to seeing where you end up and what happens next!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Does anything work without a hitch after being stored in the desert southwest for a while?

Can verify, if you leave something out in the sun in the SW desert, it will disintegrate. Plastics and textiles first.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

The squeak persists.

CSB's Overland Adventure Time: The Squeak Persists

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Honestly surprised you gave em 2 stars.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Seeing that Promaster reminds me of my upcoming trip where I'll be spending a couple nights in a promaster. We won't be fording any flooded roads, though... I often wonder what this thread would be like if you had gone the camper van route, likely a merc 4x4 with the turbo diesel? We'd probably miss out on a lot of the structural engineering bits you've had to do, but it would be cool seeing how you went about wiring the solar and ac and whatnot on the roof and the custom cabinetry you'd have had to make. Doubt you'd have gone for the built in exploding oven, though. Maybe just a toaster and a weber Q hanging off the back with the bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

This had me thinking a Pinzgauer would work, and looks like it would!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-pinzgauer-718/

Speaking of the Pinzgauer, Mogfest seems like a place I might meet CSB at some day. http://www.northwestmogfest.com/2023/05/23/northwest-mogfest-2023/