Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Test. Gimmie a second.

e: Ah ha! I have not shared this here.

My grandfather was a man of habit. One of these habits was buying 7.3l Fords and beating the brakes off them. All 250s, all blue, every one with helper springs and extra fuel tanks. After retirement, during the spring he'd deliver bumper-pull travel trailers and gooseneck race car trailers with them, summer was blocked out for vacationing with a slide-in, autumn for fixing what broke, come winter the truck got laid up in favor of the previous one for plow duty.

They'd look nice for a few years, slowly get rusted out, then become the town plow. Blade up front and the rear bumper replaced with a log as counter balance. An endless cycle of crusty blue smokestacks, working away the whole time.

This dude learned to drive on a Model T tractor conversion on it's last legs. That taught him the trucks were disposable, made to be used and used up. The 7.3's stood up to that like an Amish horse. "Fuuuck. Alright. Last thing I'll do for you though."

After the brick noses were gone, he got a 6.0 F-250. This did not appreciate the same rough handling. It lasted though, long enough for the following:

When the man passed, his three daughters had to dispose of the estate's property, insitu. Swear to God, he'd trailered all six broken brick-noses from Iowa to Minnesota, just in case. They were sitting there in the back yard of the cabin, along with every slide-in and travel trailer he'd ever owned.

Point being, an old Iowa farmboy is looking down on your endeavors approvingly, with a side of, "Ya'know, ya could..."

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

drk posted:

Based on previous posts, I will assume he is towing a trailer full of spare truck parts and a tiny machine shop behind the camper

The camper really eats into the spare trailer tire storage. I assume they put actual tires on the trailer, but still.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

It's by far my personal best. Including the time I busted a festiva transmission in half pouring its guts onto the road.

This you?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

That was the purpose. a 3 star is so so. 2 star is seethingly pissed off.

FoMoCo could learn a few things from Land Rover. This is my last domestic that doesn't require an airbrake endorsement.

Rising from the bus and to the bus they shall return?

We're dealing with a van here, from a dealership, that was supposed to carry the youngest child through a summer of traveling. 250 miles later, dead transmission and a hosed head. Insurance is debating if they'll get a new engine and transmission, or scrap the whole thing. loving dealership saw them coming. It would have been cheaper have the kid drive the Roadtrek at this point, even with four new tires.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm not hard to persuade here.

(Nelson Ghost Town)

Dead head and a transmission? You didn't buy a mopar product did you?

I was reading this post yesterday about someone with this engine needing valve cover gaskets and the upper oil pan gasket. 14hrs to do the vc gaskets and 12 for the upper pan. Gotta pull the cab for the oil pan or pull the transmission. $8k service @ $170/hr, half of that is one-time-use-parts.

You've detailed the thinking behind which engines and transmissions would work for the size truck you have now. What would change for a bus or larger cab/chassis? Does having had the Jeep for a bit now open up options you wouldn't have though of?

Lol. 2011 VW Routan. TBF, I did advocate for a similar vehicle. I also said I could give decent advice about what to look for: year, equipment, condition, etc. No one asked.

gently caress me.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

So a rural firetruck adjacent chassis is what you're really looking for? What would those be classed as? DHS money did filter into fire fighting so there may be some sweet setups around in the 15 year old mark that can get you what you want while having decent automatics and 4WD.

Too bad 4WD cabovers are not really a thing here, an Isuzu NQR/ Mitsubishi Fuso 160 or the next size up would probably be a good start and allow a larger livable space and decent long term durability.

Oh, gently caress yes. I drove a Mitsubishi Fuso with a six cylinder and 20ft box as a bread truck. Bread is bulky, but takes up a lot of volume. The trays weigh less than the bread in them, too. Loaded to the tail, that bitch would go sideways in 2nd gear.

Rode a lot better than any of the NPRs I drove. Quick turn in, decent steering feel, and the brakes would put you through the window. Power everything, good AC, and comfy seats.

180,000 miles in poo poo Tampa Bay traffic and she just kept going. The owner quoted $1000 a year between regular and scheduled maintence over a 10 year period.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rock lickin', Ford tickin', oven (whats a synonym for explosion that's rhymes with lickin' and tickin'?) BICin'?

One nice thing about keeping our hair as short as you, your hubby, and I do is that incidental explosions don't leave us looking all... disheveled.

Happy 4th of July!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Costs about that of a new superduty, with similar parts availability. Way, Way, more character though. If you're going to spend your time broken down in a ditch, might as well do it with something interesting.

I love this sentiment!

As the owner of a procession of 10-15 year old "unique" foreign and domestic luxury cars, with a good smattering of cheapish Daimler-Chrysler products with the wrong engine worked in, I agree.

The most "normal" vehicle you've ever owned. I'll go first:

1990 Volvo 740GL station wagon, 2.3L non-turbo. Was cheap, is car. Slow, steady, competent feeling. Aftermarket rear diff lock for xxx-treme traction. Lots of room. Surprisingly good parts availability and designed to be easy to fix, with most regular maintenance tasks doable with the included tool kit. Six years as the third owner, finally got too expensive to fix at 320,000 miles.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

gently caress me, that ended up being a very lovely truck.

My uncle used a 2005 V-10 F250 crew cab, long bed SRW to tow both the 24ft racecar trailer (quarter midgets) and his 20ft route-delivery cargo trailer, racking up 175,000 from new until around 2009. I used the thing, sometimes with and sometimes without the cargo trailer, for the next two years. Hook up at night and it was just like, "Let's go to work. Dum dee dum." Zero problems with it outside of a weird misfire, which we fixed by selectively swapping coils with the Mustang.

The same could not be said for the 2010 6.4 F250, in the same configuration, which supplemented the V-10. From day one the truck started having problems towing the same trailers on the exact same roads. It lasted four months before he lemon-lawed it. One each blown high and low turbo, three sets of rear brakes, two PCM reflashes, the hood popped open on the highway once (cable too short, it turned out), and the back window would not stop leaking.

I had to rescue him and the trailer three times with, you guessed it, the V-10. Turned the man off diesel trucks forever.

Then again, my granddad (him of the neverending brick nose 250s) was able to keep his 2003 6.Ohno going until the end of his life. Literally. He drove it to the hospice facility with a failing liver. Next owner popped the head gasket a month later.

Lessons:

1. Don't buy a Ford.
2. If you do, don't buy another.
3. Don't buy a truck off my grandad.
4. If you do, don't buy another from his estate.

Two of these lessons are easy to learn, two are impossible.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

And so to draw parallels.

*why, oh God, why*

I was the sole fleet mechanic for a fleet of 6Ls about 13 years ago. I could more or less keep em running till the company got tired of throwing parts at them. 2 vans, 2 E450s, and a F250. I bought the F250. I did 6.0 things in one of the E450s whose cab couldn't be removed. The F250 was the last to pop and when it did they sold the entire fleet off. The two vans were non stop problem children.
I kind of wanted to get a 550 of this vintage because they're dirt cheap, I know em well, and they're fixable. This 6.7? maybe in 20 years. I'm Disinterested after this experience.

I considered hauling this truck back west on a hook next spring and pulling the cab. It was gonna be about 15 thou to pull the engine down to a shortblock and go through it.

*words from braver man than I*

It seems to me that these engines are cost engineered to the letter. While in a pickup they seem just fine. Heavy haul that sees constant work duty? no way friend these are not up to the task. They probably can be, but it won't be my hand unless it's for a paying customer for I am not footing that bill.

Woo that's wordy.

Fleet mechanic with 6.Zeros, man. I guess it was probably pretty good if you were paid hourly.

I've driven quite a few International 4000 series trucks with the VT365. They were... fine? Route delivery, so they worked 5 days a week, with a mix of long highway runs and short hops. They went back to the leasing company right at 125,000 miles, which I guess was not enough time for things to really go (really) wrong. I greatly preferred the 466DT trucks.

The F-series and E-series vehicles with the 6.0 never lasted that long. My guys would get an F-250 and sell it on once it cost them $10k. That, or the truck/van came packaged with their route, they'd spend over $10k on it, then sell it with the route for some other poor schmuck to deal with.

That reminds me of the weirdest bread truck I drove. 6.0 E-450 chassis/cab, 20ft long and 9.5ft tall box, and a very odd cab. It sat lower over the frame than an equivalent E-350 chassis/cab (I parked them side-by-side) and had a fiberglass roof to very awkwardly access the pass-through.

You know it's a "special" truck when it has a name. On the transmission tunnel was an over-sized piece of plastic embossing tape with one word. PRINCESS. A poo poo ton of BanksPower parts, 4 inch exhaust, tuner, cooling system, ARP studs, just a stupid amount of poo poo for a work vehicle. She'd scoot though! Mash it in fourth, loaded, and she's squat, whistle, and burn the duals. Handled like a drunk pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

30 min of a 6.0 van fleet mechanic talking about the engines. Dude's got that far away look in his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl93kwj5pwY