Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

Option C. 2005.5+ F550 4x4 heat treated frame. Coil front suspension with a Dana super 60. Dana 135 rear.

Glad I ventured here from the announcement. I got goosebumps reading Option C.

Do it! Do it! Do it!
Living truck dreams vicariously through you. Love the thread, keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

??? I've seen this a few times now. I am unsure what it is.

Non-practicing geologist here.
With the caveat that it can be pretty difficult to ID something from a couple photos alone, it kinda looks like a chunk of mud crack. You know, silty, clayey stuff gets wet, dries, contracts as it dries.

Could be a good guess or a bad one depending on where you found it and where you found the other bits that look like it, but as you know mines can get wet, and things can get slick. Then they dry. It could also be a number of other things.

Also posting to ask for more rock photos. I like rocks.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fossil of some sort?

R O C K S
O
C
K
S

Love it. Always wondered what was out that way off the 15.
I am not a fossils guy (I’m very mildly a “did this rock come from space?” guy*), but multiple fossil ladies almost got me kicked/flunked out of school a few times, so I feel mildly qualified to say probably not? Probably some growths of calcite/barite/gypsum from when that rock was still kind of attached to another rock and what you’re looking at was a crack at the time?

Pro tip, lick your rock (unless it’s red. Then maybe don’t. Could be arsenic. Usually it’s not. Or dull metallic. Could be lead. Usually it’s not.) If the rock sticks to your tongue, like more than a normal rock (always lick a control sample too. Also from the ground), then it might be a fossil!

It’s never from space.
Except sometimes. Geology is fun.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Don’t go to the vons. Locals go to the stater bros. Sure it’s still a little busy, but hooooo boy that vons is crazy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I sometimes cut gears for a living, and uh, no, that’s not how gears should look.
And is that shadowing on the flywheel? How deep were those indentations?

Love the dissection.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

cursedshitbox posted:

Staying at Owl Canyon Campground. Some neat rock formations nearby to check out.

Speaking of the campground I want to rave about these bbq grills.

Ash sump in the bottom. Laser cut plates. Just excellent.

Well made passive latches for cleaning.

Whoever designed these was clearly passionate about their work. I love seeing details like this in other's work.

The other grill with a linear screw for setting the grate height. The first I've seen.

Go to start the truck and uh it's making new noises. Bad noises. These noises.
The loving 17,000mi ford reman turbo exploded. It won't move in 2wd. 2L got it up to 5mph and was able to re-orient the truck.

gently caress.
Pretty sure I’ve stayed at that campground, long enough ago that I don’t remember those grills.
Also, that looks like rainbow basin! I fricken love that place!! Did you do any hikes back up into the basin? It’s not a super hard hike, and you get to see some cool stuff not far in. You walk right through the middle of a big colorful fold you can see on both sides.

But then…
Sounds like that turbo is about to fly the hell off. Oof. It seems like every bit of every truck you have that CAN break WILL break.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Coming from a machining perspective, gently caress ceramic anything. Sure, ceramic or ceramic metal (cermet) is supposed to work better than traditional metal tooling. And it does work great! Right up until the exactly millisecond that it doesn’t, which is usually sooner than you think. Ceramic has no resiliency, so if anything at all goes wrong or slightly out of tolerance the whole thing shatters.
Like, say, going through large temperature swings up and down a grade, shutting down, then turning on. (That’s my working theory)
Where regular metal bearings will just kinda not work perfectly but will function good enough until the temp acclimates, ceramic will just fuckin shatter.
If anyone comes to our shop trying to push their ceramic inserts I automatically discount anything they say.

I’m assuming you can maybe find a ford turbo but with regular bearings? Would that fly with a turbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Basically I just have learned a lot from you here and it's been a wild ride. You've put up and fixed way more poo poo then I think many people would be able to. Jesus you did an engine swap in the street behind a drat uhaul in basically a day!

Fuckin’ this, a thousand times over. My fiancé wants something akin to a slide in or a trailer that has a heater and the like, where hopefully in 5ish years we’ll be able to be out on the road seeing and doing things a lot more often than nowadays. (Like, taking a few months off and driving up to Alaska and poo poo)
Seeing your heroics in keeping your rig(s) up and running has definitely given me a loooot to think about in what we want and how to think about what can actually go wrong.
And I DO mean heroics. That engine swap was something else. I always look forward to seeing posts in this thread. You’re doing Goon’s work out there.