Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wonder if it was that "dip" that you mentioned up-thread.

Weld up the crack, as far as you can go without setting the rig aflame.

Then put a plate over the crack, and weld that.

How's the other side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Living up to your thread title, I see.

Dropping a tank with 6-gallons in it is still heavy & awkward. You guys did a poo poo-ton of work for welding prep.

Are those fuel lines running along the frame?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Suburban Dad posted:

It lives, dies, and lives again. :five:

Nice work. Most older professional welders seem to be some combination of alcoholic & psycho.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As my late good friend (a resident of Morgantown and part-time geology instructor at WVU) used to tell me:

"West Virginia is beautiful; the towns are ugly."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I see that beautiful landscape that you are situated in and all I can think is "you'd better fix it, or you've found your new permanent residence."

You get permission to work there? Federal grazing land? (yes, very East-Coast thinking)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cursedshitbox posted:

I.. didn't. Just blm land. I ensure no trace or damage to the local ecology.

I was just admiring the balls it took to change out the injectors in what literally is the middle of nowhere. With no secondary/backup vehicle with an engine.

cursedshitbox posted:

Post all this. I pull into a truck stop and get froggy.
I crawl under the truck to find oil on the exhaust.

Oil on exhaust cooks off quick. This shouldn't be here.

I unbolt the crossover pipe you see snaking to the right in the photo.
My spouse starts the engine up with more or less open exhaust.
Left bank. No smoke. Hits fine.
Right bank. Smoke. Oil. Doesn't sound right. ...
Ok uh I got my answer. Something is wrong here.
#5. Inconel precup is cracked at the portal to the cylinder. Lots of soot. Its hitting but probably burning oil.

#7. Inconel precup is cracked at the portal to the cylinder. Piston is unnaturally clean. Piston looks cracked. Not likely hitting and getting washed down with fuel.

The 6.9/7.3 IDI is what I call a "disposamotor". They're parent bore like most gasoline engines with non replaceable liners. I can't just drop another piston/cylinder combo into #7 and keep on truckin.

I found a 1994.5 factory turbo engine from a crashed truck in Phoenix some 900 miles away. I'm gonna make a run for it.

The Brick of Thesus.

Bad frame; bad motor. Jesus christ you can't get a break.

At least the scenery's nice. And you have each other.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Raluek posted:

lol isnt any machine hanging off the back of your rig well oiled

:drat:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cursedshitbox posted:

Engine's here. Prepped. Ready. Tomorrow. I'm on the clock.

That flywheel looks primo.

Even though this is in the past: I’m here for this

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have pulled engines & drivetrains in hot weather, cold weather & inclement.

I have used the sketchy PGH HF engine hoist. Kept waiting for a weld to blow.

I have honed, re-rung & replaced lower bearings in sub-zero weather with a kero heater keeping (only) my feet toasty.

But I have never tried to do all of this at once at the side of the road in Randoville. Never with a pigbeast of an engine.

My hat is off to you both, sirs.

drat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cursedshitbox posted:

It is a story I'll probably end up telling the rest of my life.

I hope to never do an this again.

These two statements always go hand-in-glove as the opening to the most entertaining life experiences tales

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I had a chance, back in 1986, to buy this for $600

this is a 1973 Dodge Tradesman 300 that was cut in half down the middle, stem to stern, and widened ten inches (you can see the spread in the weird grille insert the professional builder cobbled together).

I balked because the 440 engine was coated in a stunning quantity of old oil, and I immediately started having nightmares about sourcing that windshield.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:catstare:

welp, that qualifies as an OHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIII

If that's unzipping on the weld, it tells me that they may have used oxy-acetylene, which will burn the carbon right out of hardened steel.

Reminds me of a claim I did in 1987. Insured had unibody frame damage to her <3-YO Nissan Sentra. I paid something like $6000 to have it pulled on a frame machine by a body shop that understood high-carbon steel repair. The insured opted to use a guy with a torch working out of his garage in Vineland.

I only found out because she called me for a do-over.* Apparently, she got home from the shop and could not open the driver's door as the frame sagged.

*"no."

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

So that perennial rattle was piston slap?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You camped next to a restroom. My mother would have approved.

Joshua Tree: Someday.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gorgeous scenery, thank you!

You are aware that the only way to get that Unifi to work flawlessly without even a burp, is to move it out to an easily-accessible spot.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am charmed and I am hungry.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Can't wait!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

builds character posted:

A couple of thoughts.

1....Part of the appeal is that you have done it and are good at it and embody a lot of the very traditional masculine traits that (look I'm so sorry and I don't know how else to say this but I don't mean it in a bad way) boomers say they value so much.

Sometimes, the actual real devotion to the effort and hard work to things of this nature exceed the media's concept of "masculine."

It's what happens when you deep-dive into whatever goes wrong, and do what it takes to make it right: education; a willingness to fail, then to learn; physical endurance. These are human traits. This thread is full of them, because remarkably persistent intelligent and clever folks are solving some really big logistical problems. The process can be exciting but is almost always dull as old toast to anyone not involved.

But media can write some great copy and call it "Manly!"

(roll with the marketing)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 24, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wanna sink my teeth into those cookies

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Get one of those rough-country converted pickup--->firetruck bumpers that stand off like 2-feet from the grille

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

But enough about Ford :dadjoke:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Like, one of these? This one was a 4-cyl diesel...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Loose thermocouple should kill the pilot.

Can't say I've ever heard of an ignitor head/valve failing in the open position :stare:

You two got off easy.

Any ideas what caused it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I got a free '05 Audi Quattro cabriolet. Got 17-fault codes on the top alone. Then the rear passenger window regulator exploded.

Dumped it to Kars for Kids. I'm no CSB.

Good luck on the Dream Job. Your perfect overland truck is out there, and I'm here to see it when it happens