Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Came for the 6.7 stories, staying for the chilimac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress.

:ohdear:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
That first generation of the turbo is infamous for burning or otherwise killing the ceramic bearings, I know it's a risk on '11 but I think '12 as well. The main thing I was warned against was letting it go directly from an active DPF clean to turning it off without letting it idle for a while. To the other poster's point, big temperature swing.

You can get a newer turbo with the revised bearings for around $1400 or aftermarket into the $2500 range but then there's the whole getting it in there wrinkle. It is a motherfucker of an engine and it is shoe horned into those trucks.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

randomidiot posted:

How many gallons of lube, and how many industrial size shoehorns, did it take Ford to get that fucker in there at the factory?

Technically they put the cab on last, the motor fits just fine on the frame. Whatever you're trying to do on them go ahead and pencil in a few extra hours of punching yourself in the dick unless you have a lift and feel like replacing a $lol amount of coolant and other poo poo. I'm very, very impressed with the turbo replacement given the scenario.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Reading this thread gave my truck EGR cooties again.

I think I might be done with the Powerstroke bromance. I was hoping to see 200k miles on it but little sports cars are looking really interesting all of a sudden.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

hah what is it doing? 6.7?

2011 6.7 and I'm so done with it I can't even imagine how mad you've been at these things. I haven't beat on it even half as hard as you and it is just eating itself. I had the EGR cooler fixed by Ford in the twilight of that service bulletin and it's just been downhill every month. The transmission is starting to act suspect and ran real hot for no reason today. I'm torn about selling it but I feel like every time I turn the key I'm playing with a really further expensive grenade.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know anyone who has popped two turbos on this motor. That is impressive.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The pickup version is going to be different, not to accidentally enable someone else to stare into the void of these things, but CSB is definitely a cautionary tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I just figured CSB would appreciate it but there was a really young kid in a brand new F350 today in traffic. I guess he had spacers on the back, I don't know, but it was dual but still sticking about 12" from the fender. Perfect candy flake paint, not a scratch on the thing, sitting there listening to some lovely music.

A guy rolled up beside us in a loving beat old F250 pulling a gigantic trailer just loaded to the gills and the driver just busted out laughing at the intersection, I could see him in his mirror. Just the most cosmic gently caress you laugh for your dumb useless truck I've ever seen.

But yeah, my truck will be back in the shop soon. These things are incredibly useful but apocalyptically stupid.