Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ground floor. I love your threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

This is very cool and is giving me wanderlust.

Nothing to add but that I'm enjoying reading this thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

slothrop posted:

Does this have any benefit for longevity? I know your camper needed a *tiny* amount of remediation work :v:, would a carbon fibre build avoid this? otherwise, what are the benefits? Lighter or stronger than traditional builds?

It all depends on build quality. Epoxy preg CF is crazy light and strong, but it doesn't handle impact or abuse well directly. If properly engineered, the impact and abuse will be directed toward inserts or machined sleeves, like on mountain bikes. The big benefit is that there's no wood to rot or delaminate. You could use fiberglass and foam (like high end boat builders) and have the same strength but 30% higher weight.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

As my late good friend (a resident of Morgantown and part-time geology instructor at WVU) used to tell me:

"West Virginia is beautiful; the towns are ugly."

I always say that "West Virginia is a good place to be from". I grew up there, so I'm speaking from firsthand experience. I wish I could have moved my family's property somewhere else. 8 acres of woods, ridge, and fields with great soil and decent weather...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

CarForumPoster posted:

Is it okay to ask for recommendations ITT? Seems like the right crowd, happy to post elsewhere.

Can anyone point me to some good options for bolt in campers for late model pickups? Do places like Outdoor World have ones I can go see?

More context:
I am thinking of buying a 21/22/New 4 door F150 or similar in the next year. My wife and I love road trips, shes loves camping, I...prefer a 3+ star hotel. She'd be scared to tow a trailer so I'm looking at bolt in options for a camper that can be put in the bed of an F-150. I'm a Mech Eng, was a machinist, not scared of fiberglass work, so I'd happily do a DIY. Budget would be flexible (~$25K I pulled from thin air), I want to make a 3 star hotel on wheels. Should be able to use A/C with engine on, hot plate cook, microwave, fridge, etc.

Hahahaha. No. Add a zero and you're on the cheap end of a 3-star hotel on wheels. A new diesel F350 is going to run you $65k alone.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My bad, sorry CSB.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I feel the same about my Duramax. I bought it, it's my responsibility to keep it running correctly and not polluting. I know a local guy who would delete it and I'd gain power and save fuel. I'm still not doing it, even if it cost me $2k last year for the nox sensors and DEF injector.