Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Man, the Oroville stuff is cool. I remember watching the disaster and some of the rebuild and thinking "wow, that's some big stuff" then you see like, a person or giant earth mover or anything to give scale and it's even bigger than you think but an order of magnitude. What a turnaround on the lake level though - I assume they would have had to carefully manage levels to effect repairs without risk of further overflow, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

These look better in person than they do in the photos.

I know the photo isn't close up, but drat, this must be great, because in the first pic they look almost new!

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

Fargo does have a delicious sour scene. I bought em out.

I'm really not a fruity sour guy at all, but one thing I'll give them is almost universally the world over, they have drat cool artwork.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I've been wondering the difference between using it as a weekender versus full timing - I saw you mentioned 1000 pounds lighter, is that by ditching some of the fulltime stuff you're hauling like 3D printer etc? Could this basic setup still work for weekending if it was in non-ancient-abused-farm-truck form, or are you still pushing the limits?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been tracking a wildcard of 100+ acres in the Mohave, but they still want too much for it given climate change.

What are the climate change implications on land here, water source primarily I would guess?

In the last 3 weeks we've gone through 1 in 250yr flooding followed by a cat 2/3 cyclone causing more deadly slips in my city and widespread devastating flooding further down the country, so climate considerations are a very hot topic right now. Auckland has now hit over half a years rain in just 45 days.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

Side note: the wider flatbed makes a great workbench. This was something I wanted to implement with the farm truck.

That's entirely unusable.

One half-hour later it is ready to be snapped into place.

The next morning:

Flatbeds are THE best.

So with that garbage pipe, while I get the "keep it stock and serviable anywhere" mantra, if you weren't in the middle of nowhere is there like some aftermarket bro-truck replacement option that isn't slapped together garbage like that OEM part? Not to chase more power or anything, just to not be junk?

Snow pic is fantastic.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Those linked graphs are neat, I like how it links the data to the map too, good for quick review. "Wait a minute, why did my temps spike.....oh that's right, hauling up that hill..."

Funny tho, I'm impressed how there's a school of thought that looks at all the ballache you're going through finding a rig that suits your particular needs and wants (which are many and varied), and then somehow connects it to "the same, but for paying customers". I can't imagine how much worse that would be. At best, sell 'em the habitat and systems and integrate with the chassis they bring, with firm data provided on what you will and wont work with and why. (No I wont sell you this to slap on the back of your F150 for any amount of money etc)

Like yeah, there's a bunch of people with money to throw at a honking great overlander rig. Many of them may well have similar ideas on serviceability and such, but by and large the guys dropping the big cheques also probably expect one number to call to get a solution. The guys more along your line of thinking? They're probably just as into building it themselves too.

On some of the tougher jobs on the 550, like you mentioned 14 hours for valve covers. Is some of the reaction to that a "sticker shock" thing? Like yeah, that's obviously a long and stupid time, but is it needed regularly, or are they a solid piece that only needs doing every 100k miles and you're in there doing other stuff too so actually who cares? (I know this is probably a dumb question and they're pissing oil already, right?)

On the driving alone thing - from watching some vanlife/boatlife Youtubers, I don't care how good your relationship is, I'm sure it can't hurt to have the odd bit of enforced alone time like that, fire up the tunes the other half hates or whatever.

Edit: The desert snow is always fascinating to me and I don't know why, cos I know it's a thing, and hell, even the closest snow to me is found in what's basically a desert (although scientifically speaking it's not because it gets too much rain to be a real desert, but close enough).

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 27, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

Since the truck's fuel range is about a 70 mile radius of any one fuel stop

I figured she was thirsty but drat :monocle:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Would a tundra have the bed capacity and not tear itself in half?

lol

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Personally I was massively surprised the 550 was such a poo poo job at this, and it's been nothing but trouble.

Seems to me the rest of the 550 seems decent enough at the job, its just that the engine is a pig to work on and has a bunch of catastrophic flaws that kill it.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

There is no oil pressure gauge and the pcm reports a boolean for oil pressure.

:stonk:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Saw this, thought of you and that million dollar shitpile.

Isuzu NPS 75/155, Stessco 4.09 Bass Explorer with side console and 40HP Yamaha motor, Lotus Off Grid 23’3ft caravan. 10.5 tons (with 500l water), 26l/100km (9mpg). Approx $400k dollarydoos. Touring Oz with 3 kids.

https://www.lotuscaravans.com.au/assets/media/pdf/lotus_caravans_off-grid_233-foot-og233dt_13032020.pdf

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

knox_harrington posted:

Presumably you can't really take a caravan on anything significantly hilly off-road. Descending would be a nightmare.

Got to say having a boat sounds a lot of fun exploring coastal areas. I guess no slipways so getting it into the water is a bit ???

Judging by the results in the thread, you're not doing any significant hilly stuff in those types of trucks either without risking breaking the poo poo out of the truck or the camper anyway. At least towing a caravan you have the option of leaving the van at a site and exploring in the truck alone.

As for the boat, who needs a ramp/slipway? It's not that big, you just launch it anywhere, a beach is natures boat ramp.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

tinned owl posted:

How's engine access? Do the crew cabs tilt?

The video CSB linked shows the detail but to summarise: the crew cab is bolted down, but has the hinge still, just with no spring assists, and it's heavy as gently caress, so you need something to help lift it - these builds with the boat carrying setup all seem to have like 3 winches (front, rear and one for the boat) so you could rig something up with them to help, plus there's an engine PTO. However, you also have hatches under the front seats for inspection and regular servicing, the tilt is only there for "major" work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I stumbled across this and thought of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU69OGzakBM

Not to everyone's taste, but a bunch of neat touches and I quite like his de-mountable crane/workshop deal, although not a lot of thought given to security back there.