Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

The voltec system was brilliant. The gas generator was about as refined as the iron duke that powers Grumman LLVs. The platform is very...Opel. I liked it. It's heavy down low and corners like a sled. The car was sold to me having everything. It had everything except ACC. Turns out it was 2 months too old to have the harness. I had the car for maybe 6 months and 1500 miles. Camped in it a couple times. 2020 happened and all of a sudden I didn't need 2 motos, a truck, and a car.

It too made an excellent camper. Plug it in, put a hair scrunchie over the gear switch lockout and the hvac system stays live.

Its a shame GM killed it off. I have a 2017 I brought brand new in December of 2016. 6 years and 90k miles later I still love it. Only issue I had was the infamous BECM failure back in April of this year. Fixed under warranty thankfully.

And it is great for camping! I wired up a Anderson connector directly to the DC-DC converter output terminals (conveniently located in the trunk). Makes attaching an inverter very easy. Great for camping and power outages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I worked on the gen 2 volt, on the engine specifically. :argh: at the bolded part. Pretty much all of the engineering was done in the US, at least the powertrain. I don't remember how much Opel was involved at that point. Usually cursed at, I just wanted to give some of the :911: engineers an ounce of credit. We can make good vehicles... when the stars align.

It was a great car and so much better than the gen 1, especially with mass. I was sad when it was killed off, something they probably regret doing in hindsight. It's been awhile since then but it's probably the product I was most proud of.

I salute you sir, you helped engineer a fantastic vehicle.