Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, love this thread. Thanks for the effortposts.

395 is such a cool highway. I was up on the Kern Plateu a few months ago, and am heading back with some friends to do Eureka Dunes/Steel Pass/Saline Valley in November. Such a great part of the state.

Have you experimented with making sourdough at all? I made a yeast starter from scratch back in Feb, and have been having a lot of fun getting the loafs dialed in. It's really pretty easy, and tastes fantastic. If you already have a dutch oven I highly recommend it. ++ prospector cred if you're eating it by an old mine too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

I haven't been to Kern Plateu or Eureka Dunes. As of right now there's another run of 395 planned this late fall with motos to get a little deeper off the beaten path. I really like this part of the country so far and despite climate change I may just buy a piece of dirt out here to drop a shop

Dutchoven... Yeah I want to get one. A good one. I do use an ancient cast iron brought back to life that when I met my husband, was rusty and used to hold Jeep parts. 'Gear oil infused' bacon wasn't a good idea in hindsight. Garlic infused however...

The Plateu is worth the harrowing but beautiful drive up 9 Mile Canyon. You'd love it up there, and there's shitloads of motocross tracks up around the Blackrock Ranger Station. Lots of cool little properties in Kennedy Meadows too, if you're looking.

Girlfriend's parents bought us a Le Creuset dutch oven a year ago and it's amazing. I've accumulated a few other cast irons of various brands over the years, and use them almost exclusively to cook. Only time I ever really bring out the non-sticks is for frying an egg. Never thought of seasoning with gear oil though!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks again for posting this stuff, definitely enjoying coming along vicariously. Where/what's the name of that little coastal cabin camp, if you don't mind? You can PM, or just ignore if that's your secret spot I fully understand.