Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

drk posted:

Another question from a non-AI poster:

A lot of these horrible problems entertaining diversions are presumably because you are driving a million mile farm truck. If you built the project house on a modern heavy duty truck frame would this story be merely a series of nice pictures? Or is carrying around several thousand pounds of house and a desire to tinker always going to be problematic?

CSB touched on this in that wonderful effortpost about frames, but the way the flatbed is mounted to the frame directly causes stress points when the vehicle is flexing over terrain off-road. Likewise, those forces are also being applied to the camper.

I have a fascination with overland vehicles and most of the really hardcore ones have their flatbed or box mounted on a separate subframe that is attached to the vehicle chassis with a zero torsion mount configuration. These use only two points directly above the framerails that allow forward/backward tilting with one or more additional supports in line along the centerline of the vehicle allowing side to side pivoting so the load can move around over twisting framerails without that torsion being transferred through.

Here's a video of one of those fancy German overland rigs getting assembled that shows off the pivot points.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa3MeqZQCHA
This is a really weird one for having five total points due to its size, most overland truck builds use a three or four point configuration and you'll note the guy even calls it a three point, but the principle is pretty similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

slothrop posted:

Does this have any benefit for longevity? I know your camper needed a *tiny* amount of remediation work :v:, would a carbon fibre build avoid this? otherwise, what are the benefits? Lighter or stronger than traditional builds?
The carbon fiber Earthroamer LTis are claimed to be around 1500 lbs lighter than the fiberglass LTS model that preceded it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Reading this thread while playing BeamNG and ended up doing this:

No truck campers in Beam, so it's just a bare flatbed, but I was able to get surprisingly close on that part without having to go find any more mods.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been learning blender lately. Should make a model of this fucker for BeamNG. Maybe an alternate parts set for the Gavrils. Haven't played that game in ages.
There was recently a new modder challenge run by the BeamNG devs that I had signed up for but never managed to come up with an idea, and when putting this together I was kicking myself for not thinking about doing a camper addon at the time. There's a class C mod for the chassis-cab van and a little bumper pull trailer but nothing in between.

The parts to make the D-Series look like a Ford are from a mod called "DFA Pack" that the modder took off the repository and made patreon-only, the old free version still works though if you can get ahold of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This pic reminded me of this recent Everlanders video where it looks like he uses a few of the same power converters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAZGX379dmc

Obviously you are already familiar with this sort of stuff but figured a lot of people who follow this thread would find it interesting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That truck's been a bit internet famous recently.

A few weeks ago journalist David Tracy came across it broken down and wrote an article: https://www.theautopian.com/i-found-a-1-million-rv-abandoned-off-road-heres-how-it-failed/

Then Matt from Matt's Off Road Recovery apparently ended up hacking together a driveshaft on site to get it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lha1PmfRAvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That is 100% the best skoolie I've ever seen and the only flatbed build I've seen as more than just a cheap toy hauler.

I envy those who are short enough to not need to choose between raising the roof and standing straight.