Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Ok this city is cool as gently caress. Rolled through the musueums of fine art, the zoo, wandered public transit, almost got involved in a naked bike ride, etc.

I know The Flaming Lips had a naked bike ride in one of their music videos - any clue if it was done out that way? I can't imagine there's too many naked bike rides around, and I seem to remember it being done in the PNW.

It's a complete PITA to find a decent quality version these days, but :nws: there's a 240p version on Vimeo :nws: (used to be a 1080p version, but the link I had bookmarked is gone now)

That lifted CB Accord is :swoon:, that gently caress It Therapy book is now on its way to me too. That's a fantastic looking 720.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

First up. Oh poo poo. Maybe the turbo is eating itself.

I fired a email off to the guy that built this asking a few questions and if there's a possibility that I could have nuked this fine piece of engineering.

I wanna runaway, runaway
Little time left to runaway
Every time I get somewhere
I wanna runaway runaway
I feel like I'm losing control
Maybe I should let myself go
'Cause this is so predictable

FML, now I have that stuck in my head. And Donkey sounds angry. :smith: Good idea running sans turbo, since the turbo does appear to be a bit.. moist. Unless most of that is from PCV?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 28, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

50 psi of blowby

:stonkhat:

How the gently caress has every gasket not popped completely out of the engine?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

This street has a bonus probably broken bullnose.

Holy poo poo. I've NEVER seen another one in the same color combo as the one I had (1980 F-150 Ranger XLT - that looks more like an 84-85).

Raluek posted:

lol isnt any machine hanging off the back of your rig well oiled

:perfect:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If the constable's brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed managed to gently caress up my car this bad with a light bar and strobes (seriously, nearly 2 years in and I'm still chasing brake light issues, and every time, I find some new circle of hell of hidden wiring that I thought I eradicated over a year ago), I can only imagine what's hiding in THAT.

I bet it's all particle board and glue.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 18, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The most annoying part when the constable brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed butchers all the wiring like this...

Ford gives you connections to hook up drat near everything when you order the police wiring prep package (which my car has - never been touched, still has unpinned plugs). You can order the rest to be pretty much plug and play. But noooooo, they had to go and dick with all the wiring to save a few hundred bucks. At least they left a hole behind the license plate and some poo poo splices for the reverse lights, made it easy to throw in a backup camera. And they didn't bother with any sealant on mine, just slapped plastic plugs in. No leaks that I know of, yet, but they left one antenna on the roof.

cursedshitbox posted:

Turbo isn't leaking everywhere. All good.

Is it still trying to run away pissing oil into the intake, or was that caused by the 50+ PSI in the crankcase at idle?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 19, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this book at the library and was reminded of this thread (also goddamnit I need to turn off that watermark)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Considering the glow plug situation, I'd call that a pretty effortless cold start.

What's up with the charging? Just not spinning fast enough to get all excited yet?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kinda figured it was something with the glows, with the rapid relay clicking coinciding with the CEL flickering.

3.6kW starter, loving yikes. I remember looking at the specs for my old Ecoshit 2.2 and "... the starter only pulls 30A? why does this shitpile have a 150 amp alternator?". (it's the electric PS)

People are now starting to swap Mustang EPS into old Crown Vics. Yeah.... uh... while it's a fairly easy swap, you gonna start an alternatorBQ pretty quickly on a civilian model. 03+ P71s (200A alternators) will probably see reduced alternator life, but they'll handle it awhile.

FWIW, on my stepdad's 92 F-150, I used the voltage gauge to narrow down "motor or regulator" pretty quick anytime a window poo poo out (it was ALWAYS the regulator except for once). Sensitive enough to even pick up the locked fuel pump on the 2nd tank (it sagged a bit for a couple of seconds when trying to switch tanks). And like you mentioned, also used to to figure out if the switch was bad. I suspect if my 07 still had a voltage gauge, I could use it in a similar way.. (but a cig lighter voltage meter does a good job... for that matter, so does OBD2 voltage - the sag is NUTS at idle with the sub amp, even tho the amp is connected to the "50 amp" police wiring in the trunk).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 29, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Can confirm, I grew up not too far from there. I'm very much a product of the idiocy as if you needed me to tell you I'm an idiot

Y'all trying to make me homesick? Not gonna work unless you post up food from some of my favorite restaurants. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nah, if you want an easy to get burger that's tasty, grab a green chile cheeseburger from Blake's Lotaburger. All over NM now, a couple in El Paso too. I THINK they started in either ABQ or Alamogordo.

Haven't had one in ages, but I make a version at home.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 7, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

builds character posted:

You can’t say that without telling us the recipe!

It's just a regular cheeseburger, with roasted Anaheim chiles on it. Make it and dress it like a regular cheeseburger. I prefer swiss or pepperjack on mine personally, and prefer to melt the cheese on top of the chiles (that way they don't fall out while I'm trying to eat it).

Their menu is here, New Mexico style is what you're after. "Hatch" is just a specific type of Anaheim, grown in New Mexico. Bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and/or guacamole are all good with it.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/green-chile-cheeseburgers/ this is just one example. They're tasty, Anaheims are very mild too (usually 500-1000 scoville, some get a little rowdy and get up to 2500).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 7, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been using the carnita recipe off that site for years, I'll have to give those burgers a try. These ones - https://www.homesicktexan.com/carnitas-houston-style/

I've never thought of enchiladas verdes as having any filling except chicken. But these are the kind of enchiladas I grew up on. Very much a far west TX/New Mexico dish.

Honestly I've never even looked at that website before - they had one of the better looking green chile cheeseburgers when I checked google. I'll have to give some of their stuff a try.

sorry for the hijack CSB

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm gonna book him for future frame work. He also said if I can break it, he'll fix it. Guy clearly doesn't know..
we broke it :keke:

You just put some pictures in my head that I can't get rid of. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a couple of big Johnsons went under the hood?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

There's a topper for the instant pot but some say its not as good?

You would need to use the trivet to allow ANY circulation around the bottom. And yeah, it's just not great. It does work, but it takes a lot longer (and thus more energy) than a proper air fryer. If you're hooked up to shore power, that's fine, but I wouldn't want to use the IP air fryer lid on solar or battery.

cursedshitbox posted:

As I've gotten older I realize I took mom's cooking for granted. It's an uphill struggle to learn what is lost. Eggplant is both hard and not hard to prepare. He's come around on it. When it's done wrong it is a w f u l.

Eggplant is a bitch to cook right, and you have to pull it out of the cooking appliance (oven, air fryer, whatever) at the exact right moment - otherwise it's either mush or hard. I've never had good eggplant from anywhere except from Capisis. You could say they have... a following (Jack Ruby ate there....). And even then, even at Campisis, it was often overcooked.

OTOH, my mom is finally starting to give me her recipes, and I'm looking at them and going "what the gently caress mom, you could have made so much of this in 15 minutes instead of 2 hours if you had an instan... oh, that didn't exist back then, but you sure as hell had traditional pressure cookers!". There's also SO much stuff in my mother's, grandmother's, great grandmother's, etc recipes that can be replaced by canned stuff. Chiles in adobo, for example - no need to make adobo from scratch, and the chiles in adobo sauce are just roasted jalapenos. OKAY FINE they're all rolling in their graves from me mentioning "cans", but (a) I'm not making adobo from scratch (I'll make mole though) and (b) I'm not setting off the building fire alarm from roasting a few jalapenos. A can of "chiles in adobo sauce" is 2-3 fire roasted jalapenos in adobo sauce, damnit. Also roasted green chiles - something that's in a can, on the shelf, of every grocery store between Texas and California. I agree that nothing beats fresh roasted green chiles, but I don't live down the road from Hatch NM anymore (and haven't for 25 years) - IF and WHEN you can get fresh Hatch chiles here, it's like a week or two. Otherwise you're stuck with canned chiles.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd never had a California burrito until I moved to Austin - I'd never heard of fries in a burrito until then. I've had hash browns and other forms of breakfast potatoes in a breakfast taco/burrito before, but not a lunch/dinner style.

There's a place called Super Burrito here that introduced me to them. Their San Diego style is carne asada, french fries, pico de gallo, cheese, guacamole, and sour cream.

/r/austin swears this place is terrible, but I don't know of anyone else serving them here - and when I did food delivery full time, they made up a good chunk of my orders every day. :shrug: Not like I can eat half the poo poo in there anymore now anyway, though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Random AF, but in the mid 90s, I used to call a BBS in Temecula.

I THINK I wound up being a regional hub for some network they ran, but I carried so many networks that I couldn't begin to tell you what they were anymore (a couple that I do remember make me cringe a bit).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Cue the highway exit. No clutch. Kill the engine hot to pull up to the stop sign. Use the starter to get the truck going again in gear. Do this more times than I'd like.

Been there on two different Hondas. On one (88 Accord), clutch cable wore through and got stuck, so I got it unjammed and just used the starter (that generation Accord didn't have a clutch safety switch) to get going. On the other (95 Civic), lost the slave cylinder.

Honda starters take a beating. I drove both cars like that for a lot longer than I should have; 2nd gear synchros had already left the car on the 95, 3rd gear synchros were trying their best to follow.

Though I suppose getting a 6 ton truck moving is a little harder than a 2200 pound flyweight. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Mods it's time for a new thread title.

REPORTED

:v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

This is the way. I am working on building some diagnostic tools for testing the specific actuators and such on this truck. I plan to build/open source it all in the hopes that others can use my efforts to maintain an intact truck.

I assume you've already checked into FORScan - how useful is it for the new truck as far as this stuff goes?

It's not open source, but a 2 month license is free.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

This is what this is.

[Since then this is now a massive spreadsheet built from several others since this truck fundamentally is parts binned with even parts of the p71 code.

FORScan doesn't do actuations for most subsystems like swinging the egr servo through its travel to blow the barnacles off the actuator rod. Learned value resets, adaptives, some functions like diesel fuel conditioning module priming and stationary regen. I had to clobber the gently caress out of the pcm once with it. Turns out that function isnt possible in the post 2017 trucks.

I figured it was FORScan. Shame it can't go into the subsystems for that kind of stuff, but considering it was originally written by a Russian dude that had a Focus, I'd say it does pretty good.

The P71 stuff was really just trimmed down Crown Victoria code with a few police options thrown in (like dark car). With everything, even lights, being controlled by modules now, why not just copy and paste the non-model specific stuff? :shrug:

It can change a crapton of stuff on my stepdad's '19 F-150, including disabling start/stop. I was really blown away by how many options it had vs my P71, and that was without diving into any as-built files.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This.

So we're slowly approaching current day.

I didn't realize remote start could be enabled with FORScan.... uh, care to share where it's hidden? I'm sure my stepdad would like that on his F-150, though I'll make sure to charge him a little for enabling it. If... it's not already on, and he's just too lazy to look at the manual.

What would it take to swap beefy tires to the new truck? It's obviously wearing commercial truck tires (which probably suck offroad), but I have no idea how well the tires or wheels on Donkey would handle that kind of extra weight (if there is any).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 29, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I looked into adding remote start to my '11 F-150 and it's just the antenna module behind the glove box and a new key. There are sellers on ebay that sell both the antenna and two new keys as a kit. If you've got two keys for the truck already, you can program the new keys and remotes yourself, otherwise you need a trip to the locksmith/dealer.

That's essentially what it took to add remote keyless entry (and if I wanted, early 1st gen TPMS - I didn't want to dismount my tires just to add TPMS, so I kept it disabled despite the car having the capability after adding the receiver, cluster had the TPMS light too) to my 07 P71 Crown Victoria. Admittedly, I did buy the receiver and a shortened harness from someone on Reddit - we only have two self service junkyards here, and both are a solid 40+ minute drive from me - he offered them up over PM at a very solid price that essentially made it cheaper to just buy the parts off of him instead of going to the yard (about half of what he normally sells everything for, solid dude that's also on a lot of Facebook Crown Vic groups). Dropped the receiver into the dry side of the door with the shortened harness he included, he told me what I needed to change in the DDM (driver door module, which on a Crown Victoria, handles all keyless entry and TPMS), sent me a pin and wire to insert into the DDM plug to enable the remote trunk release and told me what wire to splice for it). Panther platform cars normally have the interior trunk release on the driver's door - P71/P7B (police version) put it on the dash (with two plugs - one with constant power, you can swap it to ignition power by swapping the plug, but it takes 5 seconds to yank the trim and get to the plugs...), but the wiring is still in the door for trunk release.

On Crown Vics, the RKE/TPMS receiver is behind the passenger side C pillar on 08+ standard, 06-07 had it if optioned with TPMS (not available on the police version). If you have a 06-07 P71, the wiring isn't there at all - you can snip a sub harness and modify it enough to drop the receiver into the door (and it works just fine in there, the range is just reduced a bit - the DDM [driver door module] controls almost all of that anyway).

Best part is, someone else on /r/crownvictoria figured out what it took to get rid of the double honk when locking/enable parking light flash on 06-07 models - you can ground what would be the hood latch pin on the LCM to any metal bits under the dash, then BAM the car enables silent lock w/parking light flash (06-07 P71s normally lock with no indication when you add RKE, aside from the loud AF Ford "kaCHUNK" as it locks... unless you double tap lock, then you get a double honk and double light flash - the LCM thinks the hood is always open and disables the single honk/single flash otherwise, disables unlock flash as well).

cursedshitbox posted:

For remote start it needs to have the tpms transceiver and the power equipment group. For the superduty the tpms module behind the glovebox and to the side. If your dads F150 is of the '09-'14 vintage the bcm/ipc are nearly identical to the '11-16 super.
You'll need the key. Ideally there's a radio antenna that plugs into the tpms module to improve range.

He has the power equipment group (I want to say that's "Group 101A" for Fords, right?), and TPMS for sure (I think TPMS is mandatory these days on non-commercial vehicles?). ONE of the two fobs he got with it has the remote start button (it replaces another button, I forget which), but the truck treats it as a panic button and just starts honking/flashing the lights if you hold it. It's essentially an XLT with every possible option for an XLT without stepping up to a Lariat (except it has cloth instead of leather); it was a dealer demo that he got with nearly 3k miles (I would never, ever, ever buy a demo, especially an Ecoboost/turbo engine, but he apparently got it for a stupid cheap price just before COVID - he managed to get it well under $30k, quad cab short bed 2.7 Ecoboost that honestly scares me when I stomp it, and he managed to get the dealer to warranty it up to 60k with no time limit?!). It's a very weirdly optioned truck, but I've owned a few ex dealer-demo cars - they're pretty much always the lowest end vehicle that can be optioned with the highest end stuff, special order by the dealer just so they can say "oh yeah, I have ONE of those in inventory, but you need to get here ASAP, someone's about to buy it!!!1111!111!!!!!1!". My last Saturn Ion, for example, was a base model, but still had the top level stereo (with the XM receiver and antenna installed!), power windows/locks/mirrors, RKE, sunroof, etc (factory sunroof in particular was a huge WTF, I've never seen another 2 with one) - it was essentially the Level 3 with the base model upholstery and black gauges instead of white (I COULD have swapped the cluster, but I would have either needed GM Tech2 or swapped the EEPROM between clusters - the latter throwing the mileage hilariously off - and I swapped in the front seats from my wrecked Level 3 anyway). The only option it didn't have was an automatic transmission.

The nice thing about the Level 2 is it had 15" tires on steelies instead of 16" on alloys - tires were SO, SO much cheaper for it. The alloys looked really good (especially for GM), but I'll take hubcaps and steelies over alloys every time.
The transmission on those was surprisingly decent - Getrag F23 IIRC. It was far from refined, but it didn't go crunch unless you tried to slam it into gear. TOO BAD THE drat CLUTCH PEDAL IS PLASTIC AND THE PLUNGER SPLITS IT IN HALF, but if anyone winds up with a 05-07 Ion, I can at least dig up the p/n for a replacement insert...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I looked into adding remote start to my '11 F-150 and it's just the antenna module behind the glove box and a new key. There are sellers on ebay that sell both the antenna and two new keys as a kit. If you've got two keys for the truck already, you can program the new keys and remotes yourself, otherwise you need a trip to the locksmith/dealer.

Bingo! Fleet (which was mostly police cars until roughly 2012) cars didn't use any kind of electronic anti-theft - no chip in the key (though I had a local locksmith try to charge me $150 to just make a copy of the key, since they had to "special order and program it even after I told them I just wanted an "emergency key, don't give a poo poo if it starts the car")" - ACE did it for $6 after they saw the car (and saw P71 in the VIN).

I got sort of lucky, in that my Crown Vic was a constable car in a very spread out county (I think the entire county has about the same population as the city I currently live in). Constable car with full dealer maintenance history, but the history never showed any transmission fluid stuff on that car (or the one I currently drive).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 30, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, I've blown some clutches up, but that.... that's special.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

It's by far my personal best. Including the time I busted a festiva transmission in half pouring its guts onto the road.

I've managed that on a roommate's 90 Integra. Split the fucker sidestepping the clutch, but drove home (a lot harder to shift and making funny noises). He kept driving it for a few weeks after, that fucker took FOREVER to finally die. But when it did, it locked up the gearbox, and I'm sure that what I did was just the final nail in the coffin.

Apparently a common problem on cable clutch B series transmissions? Diff pin breaks and splits the case, but it's still held together enough to work.. till it locks up. G2IC claimed you could drive it for a long time after the pin broke before it'd split, so the torque (lol Honda? Torque?) of sidestepping probably just split it open where the diff pin had already been eating through it.

Good thing I had a 91 Integra for both of us to drive - automatic on that one, same color tho. So much slower (and pretty stock compared to his). And a 96 Civic that told a lot of knock knock jokes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 8, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So uh... think that turbo might be related to your 70 miles per tank? loving YIKES.

Does the aftermarket have a fix that doesn't make reliability worse, or is it just a "keep throwing turbos at it" situation? I always thought ceramic bearings were supposed to be "better", but that's obviously not the case here.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 15, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I am never owning another Ford unless it's under OEM warranty. :stonk: (or an older gasser). Doing plugs and having half of them shatter while also doing cam phasers at the same time on a 3V 5.4 looks downright pleasant in comparison.

I'm surprised a 550 didn't get a real oil pressure gauge. Doesn't surprise me on a Ranger or F-150, but heavy duty stuff? You need the read thing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 20, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheat is grounded.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Christ, that seriously looks like you're trying to work on a PSD in an Econoline chassis. That engine bay is just stupid short for a truck, I can't even see the engine except for part of one valve cover.

How many gallons of lube, and how many industrial size shoehorns, did it take Ford to get that fucker in there at the factory?

cursedshitbox posted:

A job so well done you can't tell I was loving in here. I loathe the kind of jobs where expensive brand new parts are utilized and can't even be seen after the fact.

That's my preferred kind of job. Yeah, I'd rather pierce my dick again vs do that work, but I'd rather everything be back in its place "good nuff" to where it looks like I never touched the drat thing. Which is sometimes better than when it left the factory.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Jesus loving gently caress this thing almost killed us.

Never change, Dometic. :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

Hey, this is the worst idea in the goddamn world, but wanna take a field trip to Abbotsford with me for, uh, reasons, and then meet CSB for, uh, other reasons?

Might want to test fit a large Red Bull can first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This could be a book at this point, with that hood up photo on the cover. "How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ford bomb"