Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

thread delivers, voted :five:

I wish there was a town near me that had at least half the number of cool stuff in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

is that the famous Melbourne Parliament House?

sb hermit

is that gaming for arcade games or something? :kiddo:

I assume that because it mentions keno, this is clearly a gambling house

sb hermit

There's so much amazing art on every surface!

sb hermit

Also, happy to see pics of Melbourne. Hopefully the flooding didn't affect too much of the city!

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Flooding was largely in the northern and western suburbs of Melbourne, and other areas of Victoria, as well as across New South Wales and Tasmania.

In Melbourne, the suburb of Maribyrnong was particarly impacted.

:ohdearsass:

Probably doesn't help that it's the equivalent of spring over there...

Chewbecca posted:

This street art was in the Melbourne suburb of Fitzroy. Fitzroy is known for amazing markets, shops, coffee and so much street art!

Do you still drink coffee? I thought you were more of a tea person. Do they have teahouses there?

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Hmmm can't say I know of many tea shops, Melbourne definitely is known for its coffee culture. The brand T2tea is a Melbourne based tea brand for example

:nice:

I'll have to remember to get coffee or tea if I ever find myself there

sb hermit

Areola Grande posted:

what does 56k NO mean :dafuq:

It means that if you're using a modem (typically one that gets 56 kilobits per sec, aka 7 kilobytes per second or kbps, then opening this thread is not recommended since it will take a long time for all the pictures to load

sb hermit

Even in modern times, it is useful to tell people with metered connections (where every megabyte costs money) or bandwidth limited connections (3G or satellite) that such threads are data heavy so they should hold off on loading it until they get a better (or cheaper) connection.

sb hermit

I first browsed BBSes on a 2400 baud modem in the early 90s and a megabyte took 20 minutes. I kid you not.

sb hermit

that interior is seriously intricate... is that a big store or something?

sb hermit

Stoner Sloth posted:

drat that looks pretty amazing, if i get over to melbourne some time i'll definitely have to pay it a visit!

sb hermit

If you told me that this was a photo from the 19th century but AI upscaled and colorized, I would have believed you.

Well, I would have believed you until I saw the ads for phantom of the opera and the modern looking cars.

It's a classy building and a great shot!

sb hermit

polly woodside is a classy name for a boat

and a bird

sb hermit

can anyone confirm if this is a six string bass?

sb hermit

batman park is a cool name for a park

there should be a batman movie in melbourne

sb hermit

Twenty Four posted:

I can't zoom in at all to get a good read, but based on my knowledge, considering the body shape, the placement of the pickups, and the design of the headstock, I am pretty confident that it is either a "Fender Telecaster" or an imitation of one. Two pickup design from what I can see with his hand in the way, with a slanted one at the bridge, straight one at the neck, thinner the usual headstock with an iconic design, the volume, tone, and pickup selector knobs are in the right place with the usual chrome hardware behind them. I would say regular 6 string electric guitar, though I guess someone has to have make a bass that looks like a Telecaster at some point?

Typically they have a pick guard going from the bridge pickup towards the neck and then downwards that this one is missing, and a little more flare on the top end of the body towards the neck that this one is more subtle about, so either it's an odd year model, or a knock off, which is super common because it is an iconic style of guitar.

My bet would be on a look-alike, but since I can't zoom in at all to do more than a guess from a long distance but it's still cool!

Thank you!

sb hermit

:pusheen:

sb hermit

:pusheen:

sb hermit

Festive!

sb hermit

Stoner Sloth posted:

oh wow that is beautiful chewbs and excellent photogging! :getin:

sb hermit

melbourne goes all out on decorations! And it's not even December yet!

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Hard to photograph, but I also lined up to see the Myer Christmas windows :covidtree:

Stoner Sloth posted:

oh man sorry we missed gumnut babies but these are very cool!

I'm peering at them with google maps and they have very blurry views of december 2014 and 2009. Looks like it's a great use of that public facing space with all the views it's getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Its all blurred together covid style

:same: