Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPv_3G9LK4

I will admit that this is kinda cool, but, why does it have to be the computer itself that lights up? Why not have some kind of separate fx led light thingie or something that sits next to the computer, and you can connect it via USB and make it do custom lights and poo poo?

A computer that's always glowing different colors like a Christmas tree would get pretty tiring after awhile, at least for me.

I can see maybe an illuminated keyboard. The most I could see going inside the case is maybe a colored or blacklight LED or cathode lamp that easily turns on and off.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsGRCf8T9Y

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i bought RGB ram because it wasn't that much more expensive and it's extremely funny to me that RGB ram exists

i leave it set to a nice hot pink color all the time

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am going to need your

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I only source parts that don't have LEDs embedded in them, for years and years my desktop was in my bedroom and sometimes I'd have to leave it on for one reason so I got in the habit of always building a dark case. I no longer have a desktop in my bedroom but now I think it just looks classier to have a computer that doesn't have a shitload of lights on it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The more obnoxious your rig the better, duh

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6WgWCIkH9U

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A quip nap.

*snoooze*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The people who spend the most on a flashy computer in their bedroom are also the least likely to have anyone come into their bedroom to be impressed or repulsed by it

Makes you think

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

rgb give u more framerate. duh.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
the future i was promised never arrived and is actually, in fact, poo poo and not even in a cool Shadowrun or Cyberpunk way. Let me loving have this OP okay?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
climate change is going to kill us all so what if i want my rig to be so rad it cause seizures

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The radiator on my pc has lights that cycle through the colors when it's on, and my 2 year old niece thinks it's about the coolest thing ever.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm considering taping over the RGB logo on my new RTX because it is the only thing lighting up in my case. So far it just cycles through rainbow colors and just says "GIGABYTE" so it isn't too bad.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Why do peacocks have colorful tails durrrrr

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

There should be a peripheral computer company that sell OfficeHell™ grey casings or a useless noisemaker that makes clicking and beeping sounds like old 90's PCs, or even apple II configuration cases. And if you are insane, cray supercomputer cases that are 98% furniture.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the pre-steam pc gaming crisis broke their brains - much like what the weimar republic did to the german people - and drove them to form a crypto-fascist consumer cult. only instead of wearing cool hugo boss uniforms they saturate their lives with garish LED lights and funko pops.

that or they just have bad taste. impossible to tell

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/WIk1ckj.mp4

:pcgaming: Literally my PC to my right. :pcgaming:

:shrug: I saw an opportunity to make my PC look like a ST TNG set piece and I went for it :shrug:

My ex thought it was sort of silly but didn't care. I'm going to build a full custom cooling loop on my next machine or immersion :getin: so I'd probably add even more lights :shroom:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

My PC has those LED "HALAL CHICKEN OVER RICE" signs you see on food trucks in NY

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

no ethical RGB under capitalism

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
how many pictures of hoarder dens have you seen where the gaming PC stands out like a shining beacon in a mountain of empty food containers and mtn dew bottles

Erik Victory
Jan 26, 2013

Vampire Panties posted:

:shrug: I saw an opportunity to make my PC look like a ST TNG set piece and I went for it :shrug:

My ex thought it was sort of silly but didn't care. I'm going to build a full custom cooling loop on my next machine or immersion :getin: so I'd probably add even more lights :shroom:

I love it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

those power cables are sick

the only thing that sucks about RGB lighting is that it usually just does its own thing with a boring preset animation instead of reacting to what the computer is doing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its because pc gamers are garish and tasteless individuals OP

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Decent people buy cases without transparent panels to hide their shame from God.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i actually had to spend a fair bit of time finding a case that was micro atx but also had no dumbass tempered glass side panel. i dont give a gently caress what my gpu or my fans look like i can barely even see my computer anyways and if i could it would be annoying as gently caress having a bunch of bright rear end lights blasting all over the drat place

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Same reason people like gemstones: because deep down we're all bunch of stupid idiot monkeys who like shiney things

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Has a woman ever done this?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
rgb peripherals are to pc gamers. what the obviously tacked on spoiler and type R logo are to car enthusiasts

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
She condemned is all to everlasting autocracy, but *does the Ruthkanda forever pose*

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I've gotten a lot of my components from a friend who is really into building pcs so my case has become a mishmash of lights over the years.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My first custom PC in the early 2000s had blue and green cold cathodes in it. :unsmith:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I used to have a really rad cold cathode with dual layered glass, where the inner glass tube had phosphor coating but was crushed into lots of tiny pieces so you could see the beam going through the gas and stuff.

Nothing will ever top the glorious Lian-Li aquarium though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7EN2Dolis

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
This guy turned his computer into a pyramid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELYjoGgh26U

(The pyramid costs $400.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I bought a prefab PC a couple years ago when graphics cards were a pain to get standalone and it has a bunch of RGB stuff on it.

It looks cool I guess but I don't really notice or bother with it. It's convenient in that the entire rig turns light blue when the PC freezes I guess, but I'd prefer it not to freeze at all.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Icochet posted:

Has a woman ever done this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwwMHv3AhQ

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Because you children need to know the truth:

In the early years of PC building exactly 100% of PCs were drab, boring beige monstrosities. The most amazing thing was when someone painted a case black. Pretty much has ballooned from there. This was early 90s I believe. Alzheimer’s and all that.

Now it’s just a point of personal pride. Like stopping for traffic signals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vampire Panties posted:

Sounds like she cared quite a bit.