Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

MrQwerty posted:

yeah those dark green acers were slick looking

I also sensually caress my PC every time I use it as one does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ruth
Gader
Binsburg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Vampire Panties posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WIk1ckj.mp4

:pcgaming: Literally my PC to my right. :pcgaming:

:shrug: I saw an opportunity to make my PC look like a ST TNG set piece and I went for it :shrug:

My ex thought it was sort of silly but didn't care. I'm going to build a full custom cooling loop on my next machine or immersion :getin: so I'd probably add even more lights :shroom:

that's a very fancy home computer you have

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wifi Toilet posted:

I also sensually caress my PC every time I use it as one does

lolling at the dust that comes up

accurate IMO

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yes? I have an external DVD burner in case I need to work with optical media, and in the year or two I've owned it I still haven't had a reason to unbox it.

Yes yes I know but...

Computer cases are supposed to have optical drives!

Yes, they used to have floppy drives too. But burner drives today can burn 100 GB blank discs at about $4 per disc. I want that poo poo in the case, ready to go at a moments notice!

Also, like, nostalgia or something.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Linux Pirate posted:

There should be a peripheral computer company that sell OfficeHell™ grey casings or a useless noisemaker that makes clicking and beeping sounds like old 90's PCs, or even apple II configuration cases. And if you are insane, cray supercomputer cases that are 98% furniture.

The beepers still exist and most motherboards have a front panel header for them. They're pretty great to have if some piece of your computer stops working and you need to diagnose. Also I would totally rock a beige case that had decent airflow and acoustics

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bula Vinaka posted:

Yes yes I know but...

Computer cases are supposed to have optical drives!

Yes, they used to have floppy drives too. But burner drives today can burn 100 GB blank discs at about $4 per disc. I want that poo poo in the case, ready to go at a moments notice!

Also, like, nostalgia or something.

Trust me, I get it. I used to always put TWO optical drives in my desktops, partly due to that making copying CDs faster in the old days. I'll have to double-check but I think my last desktop machine had two optical drives in it, largely out of habit. When I built my current machine I got over it, though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

blight rhino posted:

For real, check out the SteelSeries types. Sensei, Sensei Ten. They look like normal mice, but do have some extra buttons that aren't super obvious or anything.

But yeah, some definitely look like a tiny auto-bot.

just lmao if you don't use a microsoft basic mouse

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.
/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Trust me, I get it. I used to always put TWO optical drives in my desktops, partly due to that making copying CDs faster in the old days. I'll have to double-check but I think my last desktop machine had two optical drives in it, largely out of habit. When I built my current machine I got over it, though.

Same in 2018 except I was using them as 5.25 blanks because I didn’t have anything else to plug the holes.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I had that one. Antec made really good cases in the late 90s.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

The people who spend the most on a flashy computer in their bedroom are also the least likely to have anyone come into their bedroom to be impressed or repulsed by it

Makes you think

While statistically true my gf and I are moving, we're having different rooms because its just better for the both of us and she wants to decorate her with some cottagecore which is her current mood. I want to decorate mine minimalistically and more formal and she's expressing clear disappointment that it won't have a full neon RGB bunch of garbage to go with what she sees as my cyberpunk aesthetics
"at least some red strip lights" lol

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Both the CPU fan/cooler and back fan on my PC go through a rainbow of colours. I'd set it just to be solid purple (The best colour) but I plugged in the one connector wrong for the CPU fan and I'm too drat lazy to fix it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You're right - the RGB is worse.

Yes, by a significant amount

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Richard Cabeza posted:

Because you children need to know the truth:

In the early years of PC building exactly 100% of PCs were drab, boring beige monstrosities. The most amazing thing was when someone painted a case black. Pretty much has ballooned from there. This was early 90s I believe. Alzheimer’s and all that.

Now it’s just a point of personal pride. Like stopping for traffic signals.

OMG, this post made me remember this, which I still had:

https://imgur.com/a/NRJp9ei

This modded beige case is spray painted, and includes a spray painted optical drive, floppy drive, and 2 RGB fans, as well as acrylic and poo poo from a junk yard glued to it. It's from sometime between late 2006 and late 2007. I can't remember where I found it (maybe EVGA forums?).

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

My lovely laptop has a color changing keyboard. I didn't ask for it and I hate Christmas.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My biggest issue with the whole RGB stuff is that they're not set from the start so that you can customize it and use it as any other light source, colored or otherwise, to contribute to your sense of aesthetics. They're trying to *be* the sense of aesthetic of people with none, or so it seems. The fact you can choose through all the color hues but most of these come as different variants of cycling through the rainbow not just by default but also sometimes making it very drat hard to change. I got a Hyper 212 RGB because the Hyper 212 is essentially the only cooler available in Brazil that's realistically for people to buy without a huge markup and it just came through turning my entire room into a loving demonstration of the rainbow. Linking it to the asus RGB controller didnt make the official asus app recognize it, in fact there are two RGB controllers plus an external one from Corsair I think that I tried just to disable it and failed. There was nothing, no toggle, no means to disable that poo poo until I found a software called Open RGB that allowed me to actually change the drat thing, and I find super bizarre the plethora of official products and apps make it impossible and googling for the issue everyone was at a loss.

I disabled the monitor backlight, keyboard RGB (I'll never understand the point of that, its just distracting), mouse RGB (again, your hand is on top of it so???), and managed to find a low key subtle pink color on the cooler that matched the rest of my room. Used this way, it offers an interesting backlight to the room, and it's like, fine. I can live without it but at least now that I can control the color to something it can be used like a normal light emitting furniture. If I hadn't disabled everything right now my monitor would be blasting light all over my wall, the cooler would be rotating through all the rainbow colors and the keyboard would be lighting the keys in sequence back and forth and like, I didn't think of this, I did not plan for this, and whatever end result this chaos brings I want it to be something that I find interesting not have my bedroom aesthetic be defined by which way the companies choose to display they can make all led colors work in their cheap plastic devices.

The extreme neon ultra RGB everything is colorful rainbow circles and RGB hexagon however I'll never understand.

Woolie Wool posted:

The beepers still exist and most motherboards have a front panel header for them. They're pretty great to have if some piece of your computer stops working and you need to diagnose. Also I would totally rock a beige case that had decent airflow and acoustics

Between these

my gf is going for this beige and brown color scheme and now that I think about it a retro beige case might be what she needs for the rest of it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 8, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I have rgb on my computer but I use it to monitor my cpu temp. If it ever turns red I know to stop doing what I’m doing and wait until it’s cooler outside (my office has no insulation)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thinkin this christmas i might decorate a tree in some rgb, like my computer

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've been so tempted to buy a twinkly plastic christmas tree whenever they go on clearance at the end of the year

https://i.imgur.com/a8F3Jaz.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've been so tempted to buy a twinkly plastic christmas tree whenever they go on clearance at the end of the year

I bought a small one and some lights to decorate the record den under my staircase last year

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

r u ready to WALK posted:

my mom bought a crazy programmable one last xmas and just has it set to plain white. i plan on making it go apeshit this year

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

It's ironic how this simple chair looks more comfortable than most GAMER chairs.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lights are pretty

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I have friends who are their like 3rd water cooler build after the last ones all pooped themselves and sprayed water everywhere killing thousands of dollars of crap.

I don't really get it.

Good computer should be unseen and unheard.

I'm still waiting for the Star Trek "Computer, tea, Earl Grey, hot." poo poo to work.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

out with the dusty old bones in with the lighting

The Saucer Hovers fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 10, 2022

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Silhouette posted:

just lmao if you don't use a microsoft basic mouse

laaame. if anything for browser use, having a back button, new tab, reload, and close tab button on the mouse is super useful

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

They really aren’t thou

on second thought the one on the right is actually worse

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

olives black posted:

on second thought the one on the right is actually worse

lol no, a basic af Target living room is pleasant to live and relax and socialize in. a shiny whirring flashing computer is just annoying and makes any room worse

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Ocean Book posted:

lol no, a basic af Target living room is pleasant to live and relax and socialize in. a shiny whirring flashing computer is just annoying and makes any room worse

basic af Targetcore is fine, it's the goddamn Live Laugh Love signs that are a giant red flag to anyone with taste

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Because it's easier than turning my Christmas tree into a computer.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Saucer Hovers posted:

out with the dusty old bones in with the lighting

Yo thats loving dope whats the lamp behind the monitor

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

the person on the right bought hillary clinton's childrens books for their nieces who are all creeped out and wish that they would leave the christmas party early

olives black fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 10, 2022

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Bula Vinaka posted:

OMG, this post made me remember this, which I still had:

https://imgur.com/a/NRJp9ei

Imgur posted:

This post may contain erotic or adult imagery.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Vampire Panties posted:

I saw a YouTube with that lamp and now I want to know as well.

I like stuff like that.

I have pink and purple neon all over my house. I was doing this before it was cool.

I think neon (argon) is the best because it's a smooth glowing tube all the way through. Even with diffused RGB you can still see the RGB points of light in the tube.

The plus side of RGB though, is the tubes aren't glass and aren't destroyed if they crack in an accident, plus you can change the color to whatever you want.

I just don't really get why the lighting has to be all the gently caress over the inside of the computer... the fans, the memory, the cpu cooler, the cables, strips or tubes all over the inside, etc.

I mean, I never liked the default beige color of PC cases. An all black case is way better. MAYBE some lighting, like a couple of cold cathodes (aka flourscent tubes, aka neon), that just stay on all the time through a windowed side, and are just connected to a regular peripheral connector or SATA power connector.

But full Christmas tree rainbow mode is fugly!

Anyways, the aurora lamp projector thingie. Want to know what it is and where to get it, if I (maybe) want to get it!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Randy Gay Bastard RGB

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Here's the lamp thingie, it was a gamer rage video, lol. Build it up, smash it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8lZP9mrGzU&t=50s

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bula Vinaka posted:

I think neon (argon) is the best because it's a smooth glowing tube all the way through. Even with diffused RGB you can still see the RGB points of light in the tube.

yeah same
its why all my lighting is recessed. theres 600 programable leds under the bench making the low glow, and all the stuff inside the case is set up to diminish the effect.

Vampire Panties posted:

there are a load of varieties but the one i wound up with is
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09GNHKBLJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

i wouldnt say i was completely satisfied- the CCDs in cellphones make it look a good but cooler than it is irl. its also produces a tiny amount of noise because its just rotating transparencies over diode.

still i like it and it does add to the underwater effect ive got the lighting doing most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Thanks!

I also found these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jvq_miysaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipmarUC48gI

People are like that light alien from Farscape, except they want the lights to be all different colors.