Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Something to smash through the story line and enjoy the story dialogue instead of having to med/heal after every mob for a few mins. Solo those end game quest line ''heroics'' mobs (if that's doable). Dabble a bit in group stuff (operations?). Maaaaybe join a guild for some raids but have a class that is wanted. Melee or range is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tai posted:

Something to smash through the story line and enjoy the story dialogue instead of having to med/heal after every mob for a few mins. Solo those end game quest line ''heroics'' mobs (if that's doable). Dabble a bit in group stuff (operations?). Maaaaybe join a guild for some raids but have a class that is wanted. Melee or range is fine.

I'm biased but Operative or Assassin are both great. Stealth to skip past poo poo in story, and they have great DPS. Assassin has the option to tank and Operative has the option to heal. Operative is my personal favorite class because even in DPS spec they have pretty strong self heals so you can solo a lot of things easier.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For the most part it won't even matter for story though. Even tanking your way through it means you'll just have to attack four times instead of three for most trash mobs.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I'm biased but Operative or Assassin are both great. Stealth to skip past poo poo in story, and they have great DPS. Assassin has the option to tank and Operative has the option to heal. Operative is my personal favorite class because even in DPS spec they have pretty strong self heals so you can solo a lot of things easier.

If you're trying to be as op as possible solo nothing is going to beat Lethality Operative. Having said that any story content should be faceroll easy with a healing comp for any class.

The same for SM raiding...just go with whatever you enjoy. I like Op and Sorc since they can cleanse and heal themselves so I don't have to depend on unknown healers and tanks as much unlike a Sin who will admittedly do more DPS but is made of tissue paper and has poo poo for DCD's.

If you were to get into progression raiding the class you play probably wouldn't be your choice anyways.

Tai posted:

Something to smash through the story line and enjoy the story dialogue instead of having to med/heal after every mob for a few mins

Yeah bro this ain't WoW Classic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Yeah bro this ain't WoW Classic.

Anyone play OG EverQuest where if you played a caster class you had to sit LITERALLY for 10-15 minutes looking at this screen after fights? Extra fun on a PvP server where you could have been jumped and not even realize someone was there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The more I learn about EQ the happier I am to have never played it for a second

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Oh come on, imagine how much fun SWTOR would be if you ran Eternity Vault, died on Soa and then had to run back through the entire zone with no gear and hope you made it to your body before it, and all your gear, disappeared. Except now you can't get into EV because it's a level 80 zone and since you died you lost 1/2 your experience and are now level 79, so you have to hope you have a second set of gear in your bank to gear you enough to go grind for 6 hours to get that XP back so you can hopefully get to your body. Oh wait, you're playing at launch? There is no bank, you have to hope another character has gear you can borrow, and the only way you can get it to them is by finding an obscure location, dropping the gear and then changing characters and hoping you find the gear before someone else does.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Everquest is up there with Eve as one of those games I enjoy hearing stories about, but have no desire to ever play. Playing World War II Online at launch was my personal lovely game nostalgia, I had no room for others (one of my fondest memories was riding in a truck for like an hour with a bunch of randos to make a surprise attack behind enemy lines; eventually the driver flipped the truck and we had to walk, until eventually we got strafed by an airplane before we could even fire a shot--every other memory of the game is worse than this one)

Also echoing the advice in the thread that for solo content at least, everything is a faceroll and you should just play whatever class sounds fun to you. Group content (especially operations, which are the raids) might be a different story, I haven't played it in several expansions, but they've very much catered the solo experience to the casual crowd so don't sweat your choices too much. They've even made a lot of the flashpoints (this game's version of dungeons) soloable with an invincible AI robot companion, so you can see quite a lot of the game's content before you start running into any real difficulty.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
For solo story content run Marksman Sniper, you'll insta delete most mobs. Or else run any dps stealth class and bypass most of them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Does Light or Dark matter?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No. But also yes.

Don't worry about it, you will end up running enough characters to use any alignment-locked gear eventually.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Thinking about maybe going through the story with another character and was wondering if just doing the class quests is a viable option?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Thinking about maybe going through the story with another character and was wondering if just doing the class quests is a viable option?

Yeah, it is. It's easier when EXP events are going but I did Agent without doing any side stuff

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, it is. It's easier when EXP events are going but I did Agent without doing any side stuff
Also when you finish chapter 3 with one character you get the Legacy ability stuff that applies to all characters, which makes things slightly easier again once your companion is with you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unless they've changed the XP turning since I last played (just after KOTET), you're not quite going to be able to get there with purely class quests alone, I had to supplement the XP a bit with heroics etc to fill in some gaps. But it's not too bad, and the game gives you a lot of good options for quick grinding. Heroics and planetary quests are quick and easy, and if you're doing the interstitial flashpoints along the way (esseles/black talon, etc) that'll speed you along too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah they have, it's way easier to level now. The double XP events are so frequent that you'll be getting it more often than not, and when you have the boosts piling up unused it's kind of funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also make sure you get in a guild with max XP bonus, that makes a huge difference.

You can absolutely level using only story if you count the planetary story, if you JUST want to do Class Story it gets a bit dicey but if you slip behind you can catch up just doing a couple heroics (which honestly I recommend doing anyway because you get some credits and gear upgrades)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Tai posted:

Does Light or Dark matter?
To expand a bit on Arquinsiel's answer earlier: in general it's just a roleplaying device (i.e. do you want to be nice or not nice), but it does unlock some items and achievements per character and may eventually allow you to create a Jedi with Dark Side powers or Sith with Light Side powers.

The unlockable items are distributed among altogether four vendors on the Fleet. Two for Light Side items, two for Dark Side. Unfortunately, two of those vendors are relics from a now-deprecated system where you just choosing sides would net you Light or Dark Side tokens. If you played before and actually accumulated them, then great, you may be able to exchange them at these vendors. Otherwise, you're out of luck. Quite possibly they'll make these items generally available at some point in the future, though; that's happened with other items as well. The other two vendors just sell stuff for credits. In both cases, all the items are purely cosmetic and a character has to meet the required Light or Dark rank requirement (I through V) in order to use them. In other words: they're nice to have, but not materially important at all.

What really does make a difference, though, is getting to Light V and Dark V at least once. You could theoretically get to both on a single character, although that'll take quite a bit of work. Once you reach Light V, you'll be able to use Light Side combat styles on Sith characters. Reach Dark V, and Dark Side combat styles will become available to Jedi characters. Obviously this is only relevant if it appeals to you, or if possibly the X Side equivalent of a combat style happens to be a bit more effective than the Y Side version and you're really into difficult endgame content and/or PvP. If you're still pretty new to the game and just going through the story content, I wouldn't worry about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On rare occasions I found I had gained Light or Dark tokens without actually knowing how or why. It's kind of nice to go get a new pet for no reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

On rare occasions I found I had gained Light or Dark tokens without actually knowing how or why. It's kind of nice to go get a new pet for no reason.

That had to do with your alignment toggle and the ongoing Dark vs Light challenge, if "your side" was victorious (more points), everyone got a token. That system is retired now.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I'm glad of it. It never made much sense to me, and trivialised the actual roleplaying aspect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the only thing I noticed from that system was occasional Champion NPCs spawning around who would murder the hell out of me if I wandered past.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

So I started playing again after a long break, leveling up two or three different classes to see which one I want to stick with for now, and the game has been super buggy, much more so than I ever remember it being in the last year or two. Quest reward items simply not showing up in inventory, NPCs in conversation cutscenes staring straight at the floor during the entire dialog, weird outfit problems like cloaks hanging on the front of my character half the time rather than hanging on the back like a cape, and some other issues I don't recall immediately. The cosmetic issues are actually pretty funny, but problems like missing equipment upgrades are concerning, not so much at lower levels now but for later on at higher levels when that might be really frustrating. Should I just wipe and reinstall the whole game?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Mushika posted:

So I started playing again after a long break, leveling up two or three different classes to see which one I want to stick with for now, and the game has been super buggy, much more so than I ever remember it being in the last year or two. Quest reward items simply not showing up in inventory, NPCs in conversation cutscenes staring straight at the floor during the entire dialog, weird outfit problems like cloaks hanging on the front of my character half the time rather than hanging on the back like a cape, and some other issues I don't recall immediately. The cosmetic issues are actually pretty funny, but problems like missing equipment upgrades are concerning, not so much at lower levels now but for later on at higher levels when that might be really frustrating. Should I just wipe and reinstall the whole game?
On the whole, SWTOR's fine at the moment I think, but it's true that there's quite a number of minor bugs. The issue with cloaks and the like clipping through your character is just a result of the imperfect cloth physics, not much to be done about that. Although certain conversations or non-interactive cutscenes do have slightly unreliable animation, I don't think there should be any general problems. Do you initiate them while dismounted? If not, conceivably the fact that your character is being repositioned as the conversation starts might affect where the NPC's looking. And while possibly some specific missions' rewards might be bugged, I haven't heard of any general issue with that either. It's certainly not been happening to me, although possibly that's because I've not been doing any low-level content this year aside from some Heroics. There was a bug something like the one you describe initially after 7.0's release, but that's been patched out months ago. Could be you're just unlucky.

In any event, if you're doubtful whether your installation's quite in order you can always try to verify/repair before you go and delete everything altogether. If you do decided to fully uninstall and reinstall the game, be aware that any UI settings and keybindings you have are stored locally in the C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\ path. Good idea to make a backup of them if you plan on doing a wipe.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That's good to know, thanks. I won't worry about it too much for now and just keep enjoying the goofy glitches when they happen. It's just fun playing through the storylines again.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

There's a line by Charlton Heston's character in True Lies: "So far, this is not blowing my skirt up." He definitely did not play SWTOR. Not only because it wasn't invented yet, but because in SWTOR if you wear robes of any kind everything blows your skirt up. Always.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

True power is consigning the Sith Emperor to a final and lasting end while the bottom half of your cloak is inverted and clipping through the top of your head

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
True power is your hair disappearing every time you talk with someone you might kiss because you are wearing a giant hood and your mask has conveniently vanished.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've just finished Corellia (and the following dungeony bits) on the agent storyline and it seems like there's unfinished business, without spoilers is there any follow up to the "there's still stuff to do" bits in side quests or later in the DLC stories? I don't recall much/any class based stuff from later on in my other playthroughs but it's been a while.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a tiny bit of followup to various bits of class storyline, but not much.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Yeah, there's some short class origin-specific stories in Shadow of Revan and later on you'll come across the occasional reference to something that happened in your origin story, or at least there'll be something origin-related such as people mentioning your in-universe title/rank, but that's it unfortunately. The concept of the class story is great, but it just isn't practical in an MMO that continually requires new content - especially if your MMO never really achieved the success required to fund the continuous development of 8 different character-specific storylines in addition to the overall storyline.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm aware in general there's no follow up on the class stories, but after being really good for most of it the agent storyline I thought maybe I'd just straight up missed something, or it came up later and I just didn't recognise it since I hadn't done thist story yet. Like, we identify a bunch of evil people and go "we should hunt the rest of these guys down" and then proceed to immediately forget so we can head off to Ilum and Makeb?. Glad I don't have to slog through all the DLC again to piece it together though!

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 21, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You pretty much killed all of them in the finale TBH so there's not really much to do about it :shrug:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

You pretty much killed all of them in the finale TBH so there's not really much to do about it :shrug:

The ones the Agent doesn’t the other classes do.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The ones the Agent doesn’t the other classes do.

Ah, got it - I've been playing the game at a pace of like a class a year, so I've probably just forgotten (or not yet seen) it all happen.

The way I saw it, at least a couple scarpered while I was killing the Prince and the Creeper and then a bunch more were only there in hologram form, so two thirds of the cabal were presumably still sitting in safehouses or friendly territory with their full bank accounts and massive influence. Seemed a premature celebration, really.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

Ah, got it - I've been playing the game at a pace of like a class a year, so I've probably just forgotten (or not yet seen) it all happen.

The way I saw it, at least a couple scarpered while I was killing the Prince and the Creeper and then a bunch more were only there in hologram form, so two thirds of the cabal were presumably still sitting in safehouses or friendly territory with their full bank accounts and massive influence. Seemed a premature celebration, really.

I'm with you, I've always maintained that the Star Cabal (i.e. non-Force users tired of both Jedi and Sith loving the galaxy up) was a unique and wasted opportunity for some endgame story content.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I'm with you, I've always maintained that the Star Cabal (i.e. non-Force users tired of both Jedi and Sith loving the galaxy up) was a unique and wasted opportunity for some endgame story content.
It might have been an interesting way to do cross-faction event stuff, since the main reason they were successful at all is the precognitives they were trying to take down were busy killing each other instead. Super intricate and long-reaching plans don't generally do great against people who can see the future, and a "hey these guys are a problem" temporary truce might have been interesting. Maybe even foreshadown the Eternal Alliance and all that.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Sooo in case anyone's interested, Swtorista's doing special events tomorrow and on Friday between 8-10 AM PDT (11 AM-1 PM EST / 3-5 PM GMT / 5-7 PM CET), these being a Manaan PvP achievement run and a costume contest show where you're only allowed to use armour from the planetary Specialty Goods vendors and crafted weapons and dyes. It's not really a contest because your outfit won't be judged, but it will be featured on Swtorista's site and there'll be some rewards randomly awarded to participants. So that's nice.

Her events are always wholesome good fun and typically very newbie-friendly, so don't worry about it if you're not a veteran players. Even for the PvP achievement run, while of course it's helpful to be level 80 and have level-appropriate gear, the bar to entry is just that you have a character with a ship because you'll be put into a team and they'll do their best to balance things out. And even if you don't feel like participating, you might still enjoy watching her Twitch stream.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 25, 2022

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

All of my characters and bot people are Mando's and forever will be so harumph

If they keep adding more flavors of Mando armor I will probably keep spending money on ways to get them 😈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is the way