Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Meh you probably right, tweaking existing stuff beyond surface improvements would require effort. You could probably insert new planets easily enough though.

I think a semi decent workaround would be figuring out a way to change bound items to bound to legacy so if I wanted to start a new Assassin, I could give him all the old stuff I've got sitting in my vault on my launch assassin, so a new character could functionally be the same as an old one.

Let me add my Ops mounts to collections you cowards. Pryce, I blame you for that never happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'd kill Skadge instantly

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Cythereal posted:

I will always stand up for the Consular story. You're a mystical scholar, archaeologist, healer, and diplomat, your lightsaber is an afterthought. Exactly what I want from a Jedi story.

I liked it too.

JK, I replayed it a couple weeks ago and all I can remember is you start as Luke, but the Republic built the Death Star(s) and Kotet/Kofte is all your fault.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The voice acting for the female consular is also top notch

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Love Bounty Hunter speech option to the crowd at the end of Corellia "This war has been pretty crazy, but what's really crazy are my prices. Come on down and hire me today."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Pwnstar posted:

Love Bounty Hunter speech option to the crowd at the end of Corellia "This war has been pretty crazy, but what's really crazy are my prices. Come on down and hire me today."

Relentless self-promotion is the best way to play BH imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bounty hunter isn’t a great story but it is the best class to play on Alderaan

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Preechr posted:

Relentless self-promotion is the best way to play BH imo

Yeah I'm a good boy BH but I love every option to say poo poo like "You hired me to get rid of Bimbleborg. Saving the planet from exploding costs extra" as Darth Marr gets increasingly sick of my poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bounty hunter isn’t a great story but it is the best class to play on Alderaan
The story is pretty bland, but if you play it as pure "what's in it for me?" Violence Seller McMurderfists the NPC reactions to you giving zero shits about their cause beyond the price tag is pretty :discourse:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

:siren: Little patch coming out tomorrow! Full patch notes up here. :siren: Looks like they've fixed the map overlay (I think that's what they mean by "HUD map") not updating correctly when moving to another area. :toot:

Also:

quote:

Characters' hair no longer clips through the “Life Day Officer Hat” when being worn.
:w00t:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've got at least six months until Dawntrail comes out and I've been reading the High Republic so I figured what the heck, maybe I can get through a couple origin stories. Not sure quite yet if I wanna buy in for a month though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I've got at least six months until Dawntrail comes out and I've been reading the High Republic so I figured what the heck, maybe I can get through a couple origin stories. Not sure quite yet if I wanna buy in for a month though.

I HIGHLY reccommend subbing at least once if you haven't already. While F2P is really cool for the access you have to stories, the restrictions do start to annoy the hell out of you. Subbing once gives you permanent Preferred status when your sub lapses which is significantly better, plus you unlock all available story content permanently.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I might consider it once I finish Infinite Wealth so I can potentially make the most of that one month

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Little heads-up: Swtorista's Ultimate Guide of Guides for SWTOR has just been updated, increasing the number of linked guides (previously an already whopping 2806) to an even more whopping 3376. :wow: :eyepop:

So basically if there's any information about it online, you should be able to find it using that list. It should be up to date for the most part, too, with obsolete guides and broken links that appeared in last year's list now removed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nice, they've already been a good resource for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait is the smuggler story just Space One Piece this rules

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've never watched One Piece so I couldn't say. However I've often heard it described as Dude Where's My Car in space, which sounds accurate, but which I can't verify since I've not seen that either.

I hope that helps.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well it's finally been confirmed, the dev livestream about update 7.4.1 will take place this Wednesday (i.e. on Valentine's Day) at 1pm CT / 7pm UTC. :toot:

Also, news about character transfers to the Shae Vizla server:

quote:

Starting with the transfer requirements to Shae Vizla:

Characters will be required to have 15 million or less credits.
  • If you try to transfer a character that has more than that amount, you will see an error message.
  • The character level minimum is 20.
For the first 30 days after transfers open, there will be 16 free transfers available to Subscribers who meet the following criteria:
  • Are a current Subscriber
  • Have been a Subscriber since APAC launch (November 17, 2023) for at least 90 consecutive days.
For the first 90 days after transfers open, all Subscribers will receive a 50% discount (500 CC off) on transfers to the Shae Vizla server.
  • This discount will be applied for Subscribers who use up their free transfers.
We also wanted to clarify additional info for transfers outside what is detailed above:
  • Paid transfers will become available when we open transfers to Shae Vizla.
  • These will still cost 1000CC per transfer for non-subscribers. This will be the default price after the promotion period ends.
  • The credit and character level requirements detailed above will still apply to these transfers and all future transfers.
  • Requirements may be adjusted in the future.
Transfers will be open once 7.4.1 is launched.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

been away from the game for several years, thinking of ducking back in to see what new story beats have landed. What is what with the server transfers?

Now to see if the old cell phone that has the security key generator on it still will take a charge...

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Not that long ago, they added an APAC server (because after the various server mergers and shutdowns over the years, no server in that area remained) called "Shae Vizla". Since it was an entirely new server, the idea was that everyone there would start from scratch. At the same time, there's been pretty extreme inflation over the past years on the existing servers. While they've been fairly successful at causing GTN prices to drop over the past year, there's still vast amounts of credits in circulation on the other servers, and lots of players with billions and billions on their own characters. To both preserve the idea of a "new start" and prevent other players from moving over amounts of credits nobody else on Shae Vizla has, thereby immediately upsetting the economy, it's not been possible so far to transfer any character to that server. With the next (in-between) update, transfers to Shae Vizla will finally be permitted, but still regulated. The credit limit (as well as the minimum level criterion I believe, though I haven't checked) doesn't apply to transfers to other servers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sombrerotron posted:

Not that long ago, they added an APAC server (because after the various server mergers and shutdowns over the years, no server in that area remained) called "Shae Vizla". Since it was an entirely new server, the idea was that everyone there would start from scratch. At the same time, there's been pretty extreme inflation over the past years on the existing servers. While they've been fairly successful at causing GTN prices to drop over the past year, there's still vast amounts of credits in circulation on the other servers, and lots of players with billions and billions on their own characters. To both preserve the idea of a "new start" and prevent other players from moving over amounts of credits nobody else on Shae Vizla has, thereby immediately upsetting the economy, it's not been possible so far to transfer any character to that server. With the next (in-between) update, transfers to Shae Vizla will finally be permitted, but still regulated. The credit limit (as well as the minimum level criterion I believe, though I haven't checked) doesn't apply to transfers to other servers.

Thanks for this update! Appreciated.

Now to relearn my rotations and see how badly it of date my gear is. .

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Thanks for this update! Appreciated.

Now to relearn my rotations and see how badly it of date my gear is. .

Once you hit level 80 and hit Conquest one week you can buy a full set of grade 324 gear, that's enough to do almost any content that isn't hard mode stuff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Medullah posted:

Once you hit level 80 and hit Conquest one week you can buy a full set of grade 324 gear, that's enough to do almost any content that isn't hard mode stuff.

Thanks again!

I still want to finish that one Riishi fp that we could never get done with Dr SWTOR's tank for the cheevo (I think you finished it with a different group composition). I'll tank it this time though

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:siren: Ahead of the official dev stream starting in about half an hour from now (which you can see here - or via a secondary source like Swtorista's stream, if you're not in the mood for the perennial doomerists in chat inevitably wailing and gnashing their teeth throughout the presentation), the accompanying time-limited decoration code can already be redeemd:

LotSKrovos

Redeeming can be done via your SWTOR user profile, more specifically here. As usual, all your characters will receive a mail with the new deco - a large painting of Darth Krovos. :coal:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

:siren: Ahead of the official dev stream starting in about half an hour from now (which you can see here - or via a secondary source like Swtorista's stream, if you're not in the mood for the perennial doomerists in chat inevitably wailing and gnashing their teeth throughout the presentation), the accompanying time-limited decoration code can already be redeemd:

LotSKrovos

Redeeming can be done via your SWTOR user profile, more specifically here. As usual, all your characters will receive a mail with the new deco - a large painting of Darth Krovos. :coal:

Looking forward to chat being spammed with "WHERE IS R4 MASTER MODE" and "JUSTICE FOR R4" and then people getting upset because they're muted and then wondering why they don't do more live streams.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:siren: In the news, for update 7.4.1:
  • They're planning on doing dev streams and putting out communications more often.
  • Galactic Seasons 6 "Building a Foundation" will take place on Copero, with missions involving House Inrokini. One of the rewards (in fact, you basically start out with it) will be a Copero stronghold! They've shown a bit of footage and it looks lush as heck!
  • Cartel Market additions, among which an armour set inspired by Captain Enoch from the Ahsoka live-action series.
  • New enhanced dye packs: red/pink (available now) and green/gold (available in March).
  • PvP Seasons 5 "Pirate's Plunder" begins on the 27th of this month (i.e. just under two weeks from now). It'll be pirate-themed, and one of the rewards includes a new character flair.
  • New narrative feature: date night with your romantic interest! These'll be weekly repeatable missions, designed around each companion, and will be rolled out in batches for the various romanceable companions (firstly Lana, Koth, Arcann, and Theron).
  • Shae Vizla server transfers (see also my post of a few days ago/this official post)
7.4.1 is slated for a March release.

More to come on update 7.5, but they've mentioned a few things already:
  • The story update is called "Desperate Defiance", which will take place on Hutta.
  • Lane Vizla's research "comes to fruition".
  • New Spring event! No details yet.
:siren:

edit: As usual, Swtorista's got a more detailed write-up, replete with screenshots and whatnot.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 15, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This all sounds good to me!

I was worried the change of ownership might lead to a scaling back of content for the game, but it doesn't sound like that will be the case.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Everyone was worried; many still are, I think, but then there's always people saying the end is nigh for whatever reason. Yet from what I've read and heard, being part of BioWare was actually more of a liability than a boon for the SWTOR team, as they were undervalued and misunderstood, even though SWTOR generated enough money to have it be redirected to other projects - such as Anthem.

That's definitely not so much an issue at Broadsword, considering that they're not developing any new games (as far as I'm aware, anyway), and the two other MMOs they're managing - Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot - are much older and arguably much more niche affairs that have been in maintenance mode for years and years already, while the studio itself is headed by someone who's actually worked on the game for several years and should therefore have more of an appreciation for it than some managerial types high up at BioWare/EA or developers who've worked exclusively on other titles. Plus: more or less the entire SWTOR team moved over to Broadsword as well, so there's been no major brain drain or obvious scaling down.

I'd imagine that unless Broadsword are intent on remaining a small-scale operation for just keeping games that are long past their prime running, it's very much in their interest to continue actively developing and even growing SWTOR. The recent addition of the Shae Vizla server certainly suggests as much.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

One other thing: there's a whole bunch of armour sets and decoration bundles on sale until the end of the month. Some are 90% off! :wow:

Swtorista's put together a list of them all.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How have I never noticed there's a Demolition Man reference on Ossus

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've seen Demolition Man twice, but had to look it up on IMDb to get the reference. Wonder how many such oblique nods to other fiction there are in the game.

Anyway! :siren: PvP Seasons 5, "Pirate's Plunder" has started! :siren:

No changes to the way it works it seems, but there's a new character flair that looks pretty neat. The new armour looks a lot more interesting than last season's I think (sorry nonentity), with a helmet that I might actually consider wearing for once, so I'll probably be participating again this time round.

This season's battler decoration also has this oxydised bronze look that I don't believe we've seen before, and I really like it:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

I've seen Demolition Man twice, but had to look it up on IMDb to get the reference. Wonder how many such oblique nods to other fiction there are in the game.

Anyway! :siren: PvP Seasons 5, "Pirate's Plunder" has started! :siren:

No changes to the way it works it seems, but there's a new character flair that looks pretty neat. The new armour looks a lot more interesting than last season's I think (sorry nonentity), with a helmet that I might actually consider wearing for once, so I'll probably be participating again this time round.

This season's battler decoration also has this oxydised bronze look that I don't believe we've seen before, and I really like it:

Don't forget there's a new treasure decoration too! I donated a few to the Imperial guild.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the new stronghold looks amazing

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1762906798263021617

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Don't forget there's a new treasure decoration too! I donated a few to the Imperial guild.
:eyepop: I had missed the news on that one!

Agreed, they played that video during the dev stream two weeks ago and everyone went all "phwoar"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

:eyepop: I had missed the news on that one!

It's 1 PvP token from the seasons vendor. :)

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Getting less and less enthused with each passing season...no balance changes, no new maps, fugly armor, and a nonsense title.

The nerfing of medals gained was a big one, if you have a decent (>60%) win rate you'll only end up at about 1200/2000 medals after completing everything else. It's routine now...skank Sin in WZ's to guarantee wins and medals, skank Jugg in Arenas for the same.

A turkey shoot that's just farming nubs who can barely be bothered to equip gear and press buttons while death marching the Weeklies one loss at a time.

Edit: also I swear the devs have dartboard sectioned into thirds...one that says "Darth Malgus", a second that says "Mandalorians", and a third that says "Pirates." The wall behind it is marked "Unnecessary UI Changes."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

My impression is that PvP just hasn't been big enough for a long time to justify devoting a lot resources to it when they're already in kind of short supply. And without ranked PvP, constant balancing also isn't that important anymore.

Having said that, the more casual setup to PvP Seasons actually gets me to play, and I'm sure that goes for others too. If anything's going to prompt the devs to put more effort into it, I imagine it's going to be an increase in the number of less-competitive players. I do think it should be a bit less grindy than it currrently is, though - at least in comparison to Galactic Seasons.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

My impression is that PvP just hasn't been big enough for a long time to justify devoting a lot resources to it when they're already in kind of short supply.

I mean PvP died because they stopped giving it any attention, now you say PvP shouldn't get attention cause it's dead. :confused:

This game needs all the people it can get...alienating entire subsets of players doesn't sound like the best strategy to me.

It gets you to play but it's got me thinking about cancelling my sub. :shrug: My friends list of NiM capable players and high level PvP'ers is basically dead due to cancelled subs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I mean PvP died because they stopped giving it any attention, now you say PvP shouldn't get attention cause it's dead. :confused:

This game needs all the people it can get...alienating entire subsets of players doesn't sound like the best strategy to me.

It gets you to play but it's got me thinking about cancelling my sub. :shrug: My friends list of NiM capable players and high level PvP'ers is basically dead due to cancelled subs.

I think they made a conscious decision to focus on story and casuals who sub a few times a year rather than focusing on the PvP and raiding community. I'm guessing EA/Bioware/Broadsword looked at the data of who was doing what and just decided the subs they'd lose by no longer focusing on the MMORPG aspects was outweighed by the resources they wouldn't be spending that they could focus on space barbie and story enthusiasts, which have always been the majority of palyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's kind of funny that the "MMORPG aspects" are the ones that ignore the actual RPG bit of the game.