Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arquinsiel posted:

It's kind of funny that the "MMORPG aspects" are the ones that ignore the actual RPG bit of the game.

"RPG" is the "Holy Roman Empire" of genres, at some point the core idea (role-playing) was excised from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I'm a little curious what constitutes role-playing in your view. But anyway!

:siren: Update 7.4.1 "Building a Foundation" is coming next week!! :siren:

Ahead of the more elaborate patch notes, Jackie's already announced the following:

quote:

Alongside Galactic Seasons 6, Date Night Companion Missions, and the opening of Character Transfers to the Shae Vizla server, the following will be coming with 7.4.1:
  • Outfits will now be included when characters are transferred between servers.
  • Ancient Armaments Added To Daily Login Rewards
    • Ancient Armaments contain various armor appearances including ones that could not previously be acquired or traded.
    • These armor pieces do not contain stats or mod slots and are intended solely for Outfitter.
    • These armor pieces do have dye slots and can be traded and bought / sold on the GTN.
    • The armor pieces that are available inside of Ancient Armaments will also available as random world drops
  • Galactic Trade Network (GTN) Droid Legacy Unlock
    • A new Character Convenience unlock has been added to Legacy Perks! Once unlocked, players will be able to reach the GTN at any time without needing to travel to the Fleet, their personal ship, various planets or Strongholds!
    • Level 1 - Access to droid, 60m cooldown
      • Requires Player level of 20
      • Costs 3.5M Credits (Req Legacy level of 5) or 400 CCs
    • Level 2 - Lowers cooldown to 45m
      • Requires Player level of 50
      • Costs 7M Credits (Req Legacy Level of 10) or 250 CCs
    • Level 3 - Lowers cooldown to 15m
      • Requires Player level of 80
      • Costs 15M Credits (Req Legacy Level of 20) or 250 CCs
Looking forward to the GTN droid!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hell yeah @ that droid

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sombrerotron posted:

I'm a little curious what constitutes role-playing in your view. But anyway!

:siren: Update 7.4.1 "Building a Foundation" is coming next week!! :siren:

Ahead of the more elaborate patch notes, Jackie's already announced the following:

Looking forward to the GTN droid!

Well, RPG in games mean (to me) that you create your character and give them a personality and play them how you want - so I consider SWTOR "RPG lite" since yeah you create your character and give them looks, but ultimately the story is the same.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 is a little better about pure RPG, as you have a lot of options on how you want to play your character.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, I think you're being too harsh on the story of SWTOR. You get to decide how your character will react to stuff, even if you are broadly speaking on rails. You can always just ignore the story and gently caress around on random planets though, and it'd be a pretty satisfying single player game too.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Well, RPG in games mean (to me) that you create your character and give them a personality and play them how you want - so I consider SWTOR "RPG lite" since yeah you create your character and give them looks, but ultimately the story is the same.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 is a little better about pure RPG, as you have a lot of options on how you want to play your character.
That may be true, but I wouldn't equate limiting the player's freedom to excising the core idea. Also, when it comes to CRPGs, a lot of the older ones barely have any roleplaying, and instead are all about character/party-building and dungeon-crawling.

I feel it's also a bit unfair to point at any given CRPG and say it's not got much in the way of roleplaying when you're apparently comparing them to pen-and-paper RPGs, because of course they're not going to offer the kind of freedom you have when you can just make dialogue up on the spot or come up with any random idea and have the DM work with it. That's just the limitations of the medium. BG3 is basically as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future when it comes to single player CRPGs, and the same probably applies to SWTOR with respect to MMORPGs. They're still games that permit and are ultimately designed around the concept of roleplaying.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:siren: Update 7.4.1 patch notes are up! :siren:

There's a bunch of stuff in there that we've already known about and doesn't really matter, but get a load of this:

quote:

Removed a random floating bottle on Dantooine.
:wow:

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
So I was looking at the objectives for the new GS and noticed something: the amount of currency gained for the reputation items has been cut in half.

This is from the last GS:
- Daily Objectives grant 2 Dark Spores
- Season Objectives grant 10-15 Dark Spores
- Some Reward Track levels grant Dark Spores
- Flashpoints grant 2-4 Dark Spores
- Uprisings grant 3-5 Dark Spores
- 8 Player Operations grant 12-18 Dark Spores
- 16 Player Operations grant 14-24 Dark Spores
- Lair Bosses (including Event Lair Bosses) grant 2-6 Dark Spores

This is from the current GS:
- Daily Objectives grant 1 Blueprint Fragment
- Season Objectives grant 5-8 Blueprint Fragments
- Some Reward Track levels grant Blueprint Fragments
- Flashpoints grant 1-2 Blueprint Fragments
- Uprisings grant 1-3 Blueprint Fragments
- 8 Player Operations grant 6-9 Blueprint Fragments
- 16 Player Operations grant 7-12 Blueprint Fragments
- Lair Bosses (including Event Lair Bosses) grant 1-3 Blueprint Fragments

Now, if the amount of currency needed to gain reputation items has been halved as well, then it's no big deal. If not, then the grind to finish off the reputation track has doubled.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Double Agent posted:

Now, if the amount of currency needed to gain reputation items has been halved as well, then it's no big deal. If not, then the grind to finish off the reputation track has doubled.

Username-post combo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Double Agent posted:

So I was looking at the objectives for the new GS and noticed something: the amount of currency gained for the reputation items has been cut in half.

This is from the last GS:
- Daily Objectives grant 2 Dark Spores
- Season Objectives grant 10-15 Dark Spores
- Some Reward Track levels grant Dark Spores
- Flashpoints grant 2-4 Dark Spores
- Uprisings grant 3-5 Dark Spores
- 8 Player Operations grant 12-18 Dark Spores
- 16 Player Operations grant 14-24 Dark Spores
- Lair Bosses (including Event Lair Bosses) grant 2-6 Dark Spores

This is from the current GS:
- Daily Objectives grant 1 Blueprint Fragment
- Season Objectives grant 5-8 Blueprint Fragments
- Some Reward Track levels grant Blueprint Fragments
- Flashpoints grant 1-2 Blueprint Fragments
- Uprisings grant 1-3 Blueprint Fragments
- 8 Player Operations grant 6-9 Blueprint Fragments
- 16 Player Operations grant 7-12 Blueprint Fragments
- Lair Bosses (including Event Lair Bosses) grant 1-3 Blueprint Fragments

Eh I don't think it's a big deal. It's pretty hard not to max out your reputation on GS anyway. 5000 weekly rep cap generally leads to a bunch of extra tokens

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So... was this update supposed to include new story content or no? Servers are back up but I'm not seeing any new quest popping up or on the ship consoles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cythereal posted:

So... was this update supposed to include new story content or no? Servers are back up but I'm not seeing any new quest popping up or on the ship consoles.

you can gently caress arcann (again)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CLAM DOWN posted:

you can gently caress arcann (again)

Your assumption that I'm into necrophilia is concerning.

Ah well, I just thought there was supposed to be more than the date nights.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Gosh darn it the actual news update about 7.4.1 went up after the patch notes and I didn't see it. Also there's two additional posts now about the new Cartel Market items and the new Date Night missions.

The Prime Centurion Armor looks fairly flippin' :krad:

Anyway, uh, Galactic Seasons! As previously announced, this time you get a brand new Copero stronghold; it's the first thing you unlock on the rewards track, although you have to keep on playing (or start paying credits or CCs) to unlock all of its rooms. As usual, there's new armour, weapons and mounts to be collected, along with various CM packs and CCs. Like last season, there's no companion - but if you're subscribed and you get to level 99 of the track, you do get a pearlescent purple and metallic gold dye module:

:getin:

Another thing to note:

Double Agent posted:

There's actually no new reputation this time round. You just collect the new Blueprint Fragments, i.e. the equivalent of exchangeable tokens/reputation awards from the previous seasons, and number goes up in the background and you can then just sell them.

Still, if you're hunting for achievements, you'll need to collect 1500 of them across the entire season. There's 140 days to (the rest of today included), i.e. 20 weeks, so that's an average of 75 per week. There's 13 bundles of 10 Fragments on the subscriber track, which would reduce the required average to 68.5 per week. Looks like that'll get kind of grindy, unfortunately.

Cythereal posted:

Your assumption that I'm into necrophilia is concerning.

Ah well, I just thought there was supposed to be more than the date nights.
This is just an in-between update, mainly to kick off GS6; new storyline content will come with update 7.5, which I'd guess will be released sometime in May or maybe June as it's also supposed to launch an entirely new springtime event.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

The Prime Centurion Armor looks fairly flippin' :krad:

gently caress me that looks good

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

Another thing to note:

There's actually no new reputation this time round. You just collect the new Blueprint Fragments, i.e. the equivalent of exchangeable tokens/reputation awards from the previous seasons, and number goes up in the background and you can then just sell them.

Still, if you're hunting for achievements, you'll need to collect 1500 of them across the entire season. There's 140 days to (the rest of today included), i.e. 20 weeks, so that's an average of 75 per week. There's 13 bundles of 10 Fragments on the subscriber track, which would reduce the required average to 68.5 per week. Looks like that'll get kind of grindy, unfortunately.

That makes things a lot easier. My concern was that if you had to do a reputation track you'd have to grind like crazy every week to make up for the shortfall just to max out rep gain for the week. It's still going to be a grind, but not as bad as I thought. Even though you have to actually gain
about 100 more of the blueprints than if you were doing a reputation track.

Also, the conquest gain for reputation got extremely nerfed from 43k to 7.6k.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Double Agent posted:

noooooo I was using that!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Copero stronghold is gorgeous.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Double Agent posted:

That makes things a lot easier. My concern was that if you had to do a reputation track you'd have to grind like crazy every week to make up for the shortfall just to max out rep gain for the week. It's still going to be a grind, but not as bad as I thought. Even though you have to actually gain
about 100 more of the blueprints than if you were doing a reputation track.

It's annoying that you can't get to those 1500 fragments (at least not reliably) just by completing the weekly GS objectives, but yesterday I took a trip to my usual kill-count-grind area on Tatooine (one of the areas with lots of Geonosians) and with a Jawa Intel boost I collected something like 25 fragments in about half an hour, so that's not too bad.

The reputation nerf is painful, though - if understandable, it was way out of proportion in practice.

CLAM DOWN posted:

noooooo I was using that!
Yeah, we all were. :rip:

Cythereal posted:

agreedo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

It's annoying that you can't get to those 1500 fragments (at least not reliably) just by completing the weekly GS objectives, but yesterday I took a trip to my usual kill-count-grind area on Tatooine (one of the areas with lots of Geonosians) and with a Jawa Intel boost I collected something like 25 fragments in about half an hour, so that's not too bad.

The reputation nerf is painful, though - if understandable, it was way out of proportion in practice.

Yeah, we all were. :rip:

agreedo

Yeah the reputation token for easy conquest was great but it absolutely was a warranted nerf. You could click 1 token a day and get 3 people to conquest just with that.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Date night update looking good

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Ive maxed Valor, so I wont be partaking in pvp this season, so Im glad to see the new GS to give me something to do whilst I grind out the tech frags to upgrade to gold augments

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Yeah the reputation token for easy conquest was great but it absolutely was a warranted nerf. You could click 1 token a day and get 3 people to conquest just with that.

This may be getting dialed back. Small patch today, another in the pipeline.

quote:

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you a quick heads up on our plans for the next little bit as we have 3 patches coming to you in pretty short order.

7.4.1a will be coming ASAP, likely tomorrow. This is to address an issue that the Join the Fight mount is not currently working at level 1 as intended. Jackie will be posting details once we have locked down maintenance timing.

7.4.1b is right on the horizon, targeting early/mid next week followed by 7.4.1c in the next 2-3 weeks. We are tracking a variety of emerging issues for these patches such as Ancient Armaments and Conquest/Rep change. I’ll be back later today or early tomorrow with a follow-up post about our internal conversations following your feedback on the Conquest/Rep changes.

I’m gonna lock this thread for now and will respond here later. I will reopen the thread when I do!

Thanks all, talk soon.

-eric

Posted yesterday, so 7.4.1a is happening today.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thinking about jumping back in, is the goon guild active at all, or is everyone scattered?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elblanco posted:

Thinking about jumping back in, is the goon guild active at all, or is everyone scattered?

Scattered. Goon guild exists but we haven't done any type of guild activity in almost 10 years

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

maybe it'd be better to have a goon channel or something? instead of a guild

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

maybe it'd be better to have a goon channel or something? instead of a guild

That's pretty much what Discord is for.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

That's pretty much what Discord is for.

touche, good point

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

We just started a new season so it's a great time to get back in.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

This week's "visit another player's Mek-Sha stronghold" GS objective is neat, but I think they should make you visit like 5 SHs. Either way, it's a neat initiative to - I assume - popularise both decorating and checking out other people's cribs.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

The weekly for finishing Chapter X of KotFE this week is bugged. It's giving Underworld Syndicate Plans, which were the season 2 currency, instead of blueprints. My guess is that it probably hasn't been a weekly since then and just didn't get updated, but who's to say for certain.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Oh update 7.4.1b has just been deployed, they've made a few useful changes and fixes. Nothing huge, but this is good:

quote:

Fitted Armors and Weapons for World Drops and Ancient Armaments are now Bind to Legacy on Equip and have a Vendor Value of 100 credits to allow sale on the GTN and Vendors.
Supposedly the team are still considering what adjustments to make to some of the recent GS and Conquest changes (read: you won't get a boatload of conquest points anymore just for getting a handful of rep from a space mission), but it looks like such adjustments will have to wait until 7.4.1c.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
How does SWTOR play nowadays?

IE, is it a group game? Raid game? Guild-game? Solo MMO?

What's the prevailing thought here?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

It's all of it if you want to, but I'd say the emphasis is (as, to a greater or lesser extent, it's arguably always been) on solo play. Most of the content is story content, after all, and it's there that SWTOR most distinguishes itself from other MMOs in the first place. Various concessions have been made to facilitate solo play, too: the number of Heroic-4 missions has been greatly reduced, the vast majority of Heroic-2s is quite doable solo (much moreso than in the game's early days), and quite a lot of Flashpoints now have a solo - "story mode" - version.

That said, hard mode (or rather "Master Mode") Flashpoints still exist, Operations always require groups, and PvP still exists and tends to be more generally popular at times like these when a PvP Season is ongoing. Progression raiding is still around as well, and you'll definitely need an experienced team for that, which is where guilds help out a lot. Guilds aplenty too, although I believe most are fairly casual and don't demand much from you.

In all, it's not in the same place groups-wise as games like WoW and FFXIV are, but it shouldn't be difficult to find other people to team up with and there's a good deal of content that does require grouping up. It's just that you don't need to if you're only interested in the story (some older Operations excepted).

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
If you want to do any raiding beyond the same 2 story mode operations you'll have to spend some time getting into discords but the community is there if you want it.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

I'm sure I just missed the update, but this past weekend I jumped on and played some of a new Sith Warrior story. Was pleasantly surprised to see some of the old Korriban quests that had been eliminated were back. (I got to feed Seh-run again.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I didn't realise they removed anything. I can't remember if I did that quest on my first run at the game or on the second go-round though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They weren't removed, but exploration missions were hidden by default for a while, now they're back to being on by default

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

They weren't removed, but exploration missions were hidden by default for a while, now they're back to being on by default

Interesting. I thought I had gone so far as to click on some of the quest givers and got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I'm not sure anyone noticed, but on Friday Keith Kanneg's Executive Producer Letter for Q1 2024 went up; I think this is an entirely new thing? In any event, it's a nice little summary of the goings-on over the past few months for anyone who isn't up to speed. He also mentions that the team have tentatively scheduled another dev stream sometime this month, in prep for Update 7.5. So that's nice.

Also, :siren: Update 7.4.1c patch notes are up! :siren:

As with 7.4.1b, nothing major, but a number of Daily Areas that would previously be unlocked for each character individually will now need to be unlocked only once. Another welcome change is that the "Complete a Heroic Mission" Conquest objective will now be available at all levels (apparently it was only 10-49 before, for God knows what reason), and it'll be worth 2000 rather than 1650 Conquest points. Which can be helpful, seeing as it's infinitely repeatable.

They haven't increased the Reputation objective's worth again, though. Boo! Boo !! :mad: