Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ego Trip posted:

A bar existing and giving rewards when you fill it is pretty much the perfect example of the video game skinner box.

The game mechanics incentiveize a playstyle that is less fun than an alternative. I could make number go up better if I played a character until the box was filled and then switched to another character. I can ignore that incentive, but that also feels bad because I'm not making number go up best.
Let's be fair here, every MMO stimulates players to make a variety of numbers go up and if you want to do that as best as possible there's going to be dull grinding and chores to complete. Unless you're hellbent on getting every kind of reward you can or juggling a dozen guilded alts, Conquest can safely be ignored until you're at the end of your levelling arc - and even then there's lots of things you can do (including fun ones like story and group content) to get those 100,000 Conquest points. In the end, it's really how you choose to play: for fun and at your own leisure, or in an optimised (read: repetitive) way to max everything as quickly as possible. That's just the curse of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

And all they would need to do to make conquest for not max level characters feel better is let you do it multiple times a a week until you get to max level.
Not a major problem, but it'd be nice if there wasn't this tension between fun and optimal.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Tired of posting on a dead forum? How about posting on another dead but at least technologically up-to-date forum?? Why not go to the renewed SWTOR forums !!

In marginally more interesting news, the screenshot contest returns. Take a screenshot of a nice place in the game and maybe the devs will turn it into an official decoration. See the link for all the rules and whether you're even allowed to participate (for whatever reason, if you happen to live anywhere in South/Middle America, Africa or Asia you're most likely sorely out of luck).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sombrerotron posted:

Tired of posting on a dead forum? How about posting on another dead but at least technologically up-to-date forum?? Why not go to the renewed SWTOR forums !!

In marginally more interesting news, the screenshot contest returns. Take a screenshot of a nice place in the game and maybe the devs will turn it into an official decoration. See the link for all the rules and whether you're even allowed to participate (for whatever reason, if you happen to live anywhere in South/Middle America, Africa or Asia you're most likely sorely out of luck).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Regretfully, the Space Bar is excluded from this contest's list of nice places.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Anybody aware of goons on Satele Shan? Saw a guy last night flying a <The Goon Squad> tag imp side. Sent a tell asking if they were from SA but didn’t hear back.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

wazu posted:

Anybody aware of goons on Satele Shan? Saw a guy last night flying a <The Goon Squad> tag imp side. Sent a tell asking if they were from SA but didn’t hear back.

I am but I haven't seen any other goon guilds here

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Update 7.1.1 is coming tomorrow! Full patch notes are here. The highlights (in my opinion, anyway):

quote:

• Galactic Season 3 ‘Luck of the Draw’ - The new Galactic Season 3 is starting with Game Update 7.1.1. During this new season, PH4-LNX, the new Croupier Droid, will help players progress through the new reputation track, the Gambling Authority and Management Entity and earn new rewards.

(...)

• Outfitter Improvements - The number of slots in Outfitter has been doubled. Players can now unlock 32 slots instead of 16. They can also name and favorite their outfits.

(...)

• Collector’s Edition vendor - A new Collector’s Edition Vendor Access item has been added to the Cartel Market to allow all players to access the Collector’s Edition vendor on the Fleet.
There's also a quite a few balance changes, Daily Resource Matrix rewards have been doubled, and the Feast of Prosperity (with new rewards) will be running again all November. Also there's the typical plethora of bugfixes (and presumably the typical plethora of new bugs to go with them).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp, there goes my plan to login and get the season 2 companion before season 3 dropped. Oh well!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp, there goes my plan to login and get the season 2 companion before season 3 dropped. Oh well!

I mean, you missed that boat months ago when GS2 ended

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I missed the boat to miss that boat :shrug:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I'm guessing you will (eventually?) be able to buy Fen Zeil with GS tokens anyway.

Anyway apparently "an issue was discovered" with GS3 so they decided not to initiate it yet (boo hiss boo). 7.1.1 is up now, though, so at least the other stuff should be active!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

:getin:

Oh and the Feast of Prosperity hasn't started yet, but the vendor remains available and is already offering the new items (among which a fairly flippin' rad skiff) so if you still have tokens over from last time you can already get some.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i have whats maybe a rude questions about the quality of the story writing. i'm only like... level 12? so who knows. i'm sure these origin stories were incredibly detailed and motivating compared to other MMO games in 2011. fully voiced!! your character has response lines!! but now it's FFXIV's era and they just dont hold up anymore. do the stories get.... better.......... as you get into newer content?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

but now it's FFXIV's era and they just dont hold up anymore. do the stories get.... better.......... as you get into newer content?

I’m sorry to report that none of the origin stories features your character silently nodding while an NPC has a 40-minute monologue about crystals.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022

Jinnigan posted:

i have whats maybe a rude questions about the quality of the story writing. i'm only like... level 12? so who knows. i'm sure these origin stories were incredibly detailed and motivating compared to other MMO games in 2011. fully voiced!! your character has response lines!! but now it's FFXIV's era and they just dont hold up anymore. do the stories get.... better.......... as you get into newer content?

Part of that depends on which origin story you're doing - along with the normal "different people like different things." Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior are generally considered pretty strong storylines, Trooper is viewed as having a solid first act and then falls off, and then you have Jedi Consular which some people love and lots of people find incredibly boring.

Which origin story are you going through?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

As someone who's played both FFXIV and SWtOR (every class story, actually), I will say the stories do indeed vary wildly in quality, and do so at different parts. I found the Jedi Knight and Commando to be a bit dull, IIRC, whereas Smuggler and Agent were :discourse:

So it depends on which class story you're going through.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ok nice. i did a bit of republic trooper and that was alright. im gonna make a empire agent though, heard that's superb

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

ok nice. i did a bit of republic trooper and that was alright. im gonna make a empire agent though, heard that's superb
The Agent's certainly my fave - it goes to some wild places, and presents various interesting dilemmas. The Sith Warrior also provides an excellent experience, particularly if you go for a Light Side (i.e. not entirely unreasonable or sadistic) playthrough.

Anyway, Galactic Seasons 3 is finally active! Get all the deets and ogle the fancy new rewards (or just, you know, open up the rewards panel in the game and preview all the items) here!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I've played through all of the class stories. They are all good; some have their ups and down. Some chapters have a lot going on, some chapters get grindy, others are super fun. I think they're all fun and worth playing for the story alone. I'm currently revisiting the Bounty Hunter, which was my first, and then Smuggler, which I sped through to get legendary status (for whatever that's worth) and I want to go back and actually enjoy the story.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

So...there is a Jedi Shadow ability where a bunch of rocks float and circle around the waist of the Jedi. It's something in the ability tree of one of them that has to be selected, kinda high in the tree. But it looks awesome. I think it's some kind of buff ability. Anybody know what that is?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wazu posted:

So...there is a Jedi Shadow ability where a bunch of rocks float and circle around the waist of the Jedi. It's something in the ability tree of one of them that has to be selected, kinda high in the tree. But it looks awesome. I think it's some kind of buff ability. Anybody know what that is?

Kinetic Ward

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just to see if I understand the concept correctly: Galactic Seasons is essentially a valid excuse to redo all different kinds of content and earn gear along the way? I've been meaning to have a good excuse to play some more with my main character, and this could hold my interest to pick him up again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wazu posted:

Kinetic Ward in the Kinetic Combat tree, the tank spec. It boosts your Shield %.

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just to see if I understand the concept correctly: Galactic Seasons is essentially a valid excuse to redo all different kinds of content and earn gear along the way? I've been meaning to have a good excuse to play some more with my main character, and this could hold my interest to pick him up again.

Yep it's a battle pass system to get people to do various types of content. But don't worry you'll still see people bitching that they're FORCED to do content they don't want to.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just so you know, the gear you can get through GS is purely cosmetic. However, you can earn both items unique to whichever iteration of GS's going on (some of which are really really nice) and a bunch of free Cartel Market packs. And also up to 2000 Cartel Coins for you to spend on yet more CM stuff. And also several GS-unique mounts. And tokens that you can spend at two vendors on the fleet, one of whom has a rotating stock of items and unlocks that are otherwise no longer available anymore. If you're a bit methodical about it, you can get all the rewards by spending just a few hours playing each week for the next few months.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Just so you know, the gear you can get through GS is purely cosmetic. However, you can earn both items unique to whichever iteration of GS's going on (some of which are really really nice) and a bunch of free Cartel Market packs. And also up to 2000 Cartel Coins for you to spend on yet more CM stuff. And also several GS-unique mounts. And tokens that you can spend at two vendors on the fleet, one of whom has a rotating stock of items and unlocks that are otherwise no longer available anymore. If you're a bit methodical about it, you can get all the rewards by spending just a few hours playing each week for the next few months.

Today was the first day I've logged on since GS started, I did all 7 weekly objectives in around 2-3 hours, and that was a lot of exploring. It's really not hard to do (just doing the daily 25k Conquest points is simple, especially if you have reputation tokens to use - build up a stack of 5 of them, one per day and that's 25k points.)

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks, fellas. I'm going to have to learn how to tank now just so I can use Kinetic Ward all the time.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

wazu posted:

Thanks, fellas. I'm going to have to learn how to tank now just so I can use Kinetic Ward all the time.

Well good news one very important part of Shadow tanking is making sure you have Kinetic Ward up at all times.

edit: The following guides aren't at all necessary for anything but the hardest of content but some of the less technical parts about where your attention should be and how taunts and threat interact can be useful at any level.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XUmmYBIwTN9i6d6DbCx6IFtJqhGGZ8ZviSUVzR9Jkc0/edit

https://vulkk.com/2022/02/18/swtor-7-0-kinetic-combat-shadow-pve-guide-and-best-builds/

grah fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 24, 2022

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wazu posted:

skank tank and do pvp. you can use a legendary and skills to get (functionally) infinite cloaks and you have infinite CC so you just run around making everyone really mad and never dying and then send them straight to hell when your damage cooldowns are up

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm considering coming back to casually play. I originally played at launch, and have come back on and off over the years. I was working my way through the different stories in order to max out the buffs for my main characters. Is it worth finishing the stories outside of just the content now that classes aren't a thing?
If I've had a Dark V character, will I able able to just log in, select my knight and give him lightning and other inquisitor powers?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm considering coming back to casually play. I originally played at launch, and have come back on and off over the years. I was working my way through the different stories in order to max out the buffs for my main characters. Is it worth finishing the stories outside of just the content now that classes aren't a thing?
If I've had a Dark V character, will I able able to just log in, select my knight and give him lightning and other inquisitor powers?

Classes are still a thing. You'll be able to create a Knight, but you don't pick and choose abilities. You'll be able to make that Knight a Sorcerer if you like lightning, but you won't be able to, say, Force Leap like the old days as those are Guardian/Sentinel skills

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

To elaborate/clarify a teensy weensy bit:

1. You used to have classes and each class would be split into two advanced classes. Classes have been renamed to origin stories and determine storyline, your character's voice and whether you're a Force or tech user. Advanced classes are now known as combat styles and have been disconnected from classes/origin stories, to the extent that any Force user can potentially have any Force combat style and any tech user can have any tech combat style. As Medullah explained, you can't freely mix-and-match different combat styles' abilities (yet).

2. Origin stories still count for achievements and certain unlocks, like the buffs (which once unlocked now always apply automatically to each character, by the way) and - perhaps more importantly - the ability to choose two combat styles for a single character. Unless they changed that when I wasn't looking, that ability is dependent on you completing Chapter 3 of the applicable origin story. Completing it on one character won't be enough to get two combat styles for each alt therefore, just for any with the same origin story. Do note that you won't be able to use both styles simultaneously, regardless: you can only switch between them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Interesting. Sounds like a pretty good system. They've certainly come a long way since release.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I dunno if they fixed this, but at one point if you tried to select a second Force combat style and weren't subscribed the mission would break and you'd be able to roam around freely in that lightside/darkside void.

Well, 'fall off the platform' is really all you can do, but it's there?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Neat shout-out to SWTOR in this week's episode of Andor: Belsavis gets name-dropped as an Imperial prison planet.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Neat shout-out to SWTOR in this week's episode of Andor: Belsavis gets name-dropped as an Imperial prison planet.

If you wanna get real nerdy here, Belsavis is technically from one of the old books (Children of the Jedi), long before any of the Old Republic stuff.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pryce posted:

If you wanna get real nerdy here, Belsavis is technically from one of the old books (Children of the Jedi), long before any of the Old Republic stuff.

and going a level beyond this. Belsavis does appear in a video game before TOR.

As a cheat code in the ROTS tie in game.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey, so uhh, I guess I'm gonna try this thing out. I signed up to the discord, I'll say hi there at some point.

I'll probably play mostly republic but maybe have 1 or 2 sith mofos just to try them out.

E: apparently the launcher doesnt actually launch anything. Yaaay.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2022

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Hey, so uhh, I guess I'm gonna try this thing out. I signed up to the discord, I'll say hi there at some point.

I'll probably play mostly republic but maybe have 1 or 2 sith mofos just to try them out.

E: apparently the launcher doesnt actually launch anything. Yaaay.
If the launcher from SWTOR.com doesn't work, try installing and playing the game via Steam (if you've already downloaded everything I would guess you can just point Steam to the install folder). The launcher was actually updated recently to resolve issues with downloading, and I haven't had any trouble with it for years, but as always your mileage may vary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/swtorista/status/1589702214389751809?s=20&t=gm30RJOfgkKvgOVfg9NdzQ

Might want to link this in the OP Sombrerotron. These are pretty decent "Just playing the game" guides that don't go too much into endgame stuff or optimizing.