Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Thanks for the new thread! I only play on and off, but it's a fun game to just toss into occasionally for sure. The devs work their asses off on it even with what is I think a small team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

blatman posted:

i've only played this game very briefly a long time ago but i figured new thread gets newbie question

what's healing like in this game? when i healed in ffxiv there was a heavy focus on kicking the poo poo out of mobs whenever i got the opportunity (periods of low incoming damage, periods of high incoming damage but it's heavily scripted, etc) but when i healed in everquest i had to basically spam heal the tank nonstop so they wouldn't get vaporized, how does this game stack up in that area?

It's closer to the latter than the former. Depending on the content you're not going to be just constantly spamming the tank with heals, but there's generally a lot less downtime where you're DPSing than there is in XIV. And thank god for that, in my opinion.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Arquinsiel posted:

BRB, logging in to buy random armour I don't need.

:same:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

As someone who has the CE, loving finally. It's been 10 goddamn years, about time they let other people play with some of the cool toys. Not like they're out there printing more CEs to sell.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Nice work immediately proving the post above you correct. Very efficient.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they're going to let us assign their relationships as part of our legacies (can you still do this? could you ever do this? am i dreaming?) it's the least they could do

You used to be able to do a makeshift alt family tree in your legacy, you're not dreaming. No clue if it's still a feature or not.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Medullah posted:

Yep he sells every one of the 6.0 armor sets. It's 10,000 tech fragments and 1 million credits. Pieces aren't sold separately, it's all in one box.

Also all of the various schematics for the crafted Onslaught gear.

You'll pop the achievement title when you wear all 7 pieces.

Edit - There's a hilarious conversation with the droid about Kai with the swtor devs making fun of themselves

Holy poo poo I haven't played in a couple patches but that's a drat good change.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Crancherry posted:

LotSVizla

Code from stream to get decos. Redeem by 11/1 they said.

Loving the things they've announced so far, especially the GTN revamp.

Less impressed with them trying to give away single-use item codes in Twitch chat.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Medullah posted:

I always hear stories of how lovely goons are in other games, but I think we had a good group of guys playing when we were playing regularly.

Except Oedzi, of course, he would always PM me asking for pictures of my right testicle (specifically demanding I do NOT include the left in the picture)

There are a ton of WoW goons so I can't really paint everyone with one brush of course, but there are plenty of good, sane, respectful people playing WoW. The "main" live Goon Squad is not the mid-2000s guild it was back in the mid-2000s, thank god. Most of us have grown up. Always outliers, but.

That said I always have fun chatting on the SWTOR discord too except for the one weirdo who brings up politics for no reason.

Arquinsiel posted:

For me the difference was the playerbase. There was a guy in college who was famous for saying "hello" to people by giving them a nipple twister and not bothering to check who was in the mumble server when him and his girlfriend had weird cybersex. Him and his girlfriend were the least terrible people I encountered during my month in WoW. SWTOR, by comparison, is full of extremely friendly people who actually help newbies out.

Wow you've had some bad experiences, but. I have to admit my pubbie experiences in WoW and SWTOR are overall pretty similar. Some helpful folks, some terrible shitheads who will kick you for not knowing instance skips, and a lot of quiet people who exist in between those extremes.

Edit: This all is not to bash SWTOR or laud WoW, to be clear. I love both games, I just don't think it's quite as simple as playerbase 1 bad, playerbase 2 good.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

You can still do the same with Diplomacy mission spam, really. It's just more of a time/credit sink, maybe.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

This snowball throwing thing is a little tedious. Good that there's nothing I'm really super craving from the vendor, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

A friend of mine gave me a potential fix for the cameral control issues I've had with SWTOR basically since the game launched. And for the first time ever in ten years, it appears to actually loving work! It's surprising how much more fun the game is to play when moving the mouse doesn't occasionally swing the camera wild and spinning out of control.

The fix, if anyone cares, was simply to turn my mouse's polling rate waaay down when playing SWTOR. 125 Hz in my case, from a normal of like 1000 with other programs. It's weird, but it seems to do the job.