Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:toot: new thread. Only started playing this in earnest last year but finished all the Republic class stories and I'm slogging my way through the Knights Of The... expansions on my Guardian.

Knight is my favorite class but the first act of that story starts to get real stupid after the third or fourth different superweapon your idiot handler loses and then makes you destroy. The plot tightens up significantly once you shift gears and start recruiting Jedi for the strike mission against the Emperor, and it's fun hunting them down after the mission goes tits-up. Would have been cool to have a mission in the middle where you actually see the so-called horrible acts you do under the Emperor's sway, but oh well.

Consular's first act is also kinda meh (I played as a Shadow and I think it probably feels better with a Sage, tbf) and then gets better once you start recruiting your alliance. It's a lot of fun seeing the diplomat side of the Jedi, although I wish you could have gotten your Padawan a lot earlier in the story like the Knight.

Trooper's first act is great -- the hook of you being the only loyalist and simultaneously recruiting a new squad while hunting down your old one is instantly compelling. Act 2 and 3 are a really boring and forgettable mil sci-fi story though, I really couldn't tell you what happens there except for a bunch of proper-noun superweapons and Garza ordering you to do war crimes. Pretty lame but it's improved a lot if you pick your trooper's mindset and stay in character, regardless of lightside/darkside options. I played my dude as Space Jack Bauer and the game supports that pretty well with a mix of light and dark.

Smuggler is pretty breezy and funny throughout, but it's constrained a lot by the fact that you really have no choice but to join the Republic rather than staying independent. You can emphasize through dialogue that you're only doing it for the money and that's an ok rationalization, I guess, but I haven't done the expansions with my Smuggler so idk how well that holds up outside of the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I hope they can add a few more combat styles now that they've bifurcated them from the storylines and don't have to worry about new voice actors or w/e.

Off the top of my head a Muggle combat style that relies in vibroblades would be cool, or a Force-user that uses a gun in their offhand

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Knight at least can delay romancing Kira until she's knighted herself, although there's no actual dialogue for it and probably wasn't an intentional choice

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

All of the nubile female apprentice/padawan characters with crushes on PC if you're a dude use double-bladed sabers except Ashara, who dual-wields.

Someone at Bioware had A Type.

So glad someone else noticed, it's loving wild how consistent they were with this.

Kira and Jaesa make a decent amount of sense because their PC can only use single or dual so the staff provides guaranteed variety, but Nadia having a staff irritates me way more than it probably should. It's a tiny thing, but, like, come on.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I want to use my own alts as companions

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Pryce posted:

You mean like how Casey Hudson repeatedly said in company-wide meetings how proud he was of Anthem for being the 'first-ever live service game for BioWare' and how that team had done a great job teaching Bioware how server-based games operated and how they had solved problems no other BioWare game ever had to solve for multiplayer? And that even when corrected he'd double down and suggest that SWTOR 'didn't count'? And that he had to be constantly reminded to include SWTOR in company-wide meetings or announcements and had to constantly be proactively asked to congratulate SWTOR on shipping expansions or reaching milestones?

Nah, I don't think I should dish on that sort of gossip.

lol, this tracks: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Jason Schreier posted:

BioWare Austin developers recall offering feedback only to get dismissed or ignored by BioWare Edmonton’s senior leadership team, a process that was particularly frustrating for those who had already shipped a big online game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and learned from its mistakes. One developer described it as a culture clash between a group of developers in Edmonton who were used to making single-player box product games and a group of developers in Austin who knew how to make online service games.

“We’d tell them, ‘This is not going to work. Look, these [story] things you’re doing, it’s gonna split up the player experience,’” said an Austin developer. “We’d already been through all of it with The Old Republic. We knew what it was like when players felt like they were getting rushed through story missions, because other players were on their headsets going, ‘C’mon cmon, let’s go.’ So we knew all these things, and we’d bring it up repeatedly, and we were ignored.”

Nice to see that even after Anthem's poo poo-rear end launch the BioWare exec team still had absolutely zero self-awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Shard posted:

I also love if you go dark side jedi the jedi are basically like ok you're out of here but the republic is like what are you talking about they are a hero and now they work in our army. And I'm just like lol suck it jedi thanks for the superpowers.

Knight storyline, I presume?

IMO the first act of that plot is pretty weak, you're basically just a special forces asset who constantly runs around destroying the superweapons your dumbass Mon Cal officer keeps losing. Superweapons are a pretty iconic Star Wars trope so I get it, but the writers didn't understand that most of the fun of said superweapon is its aesthetic design and watching it in action. Almost all of the appeal is lost when the limitations of the SWTOR engine make all of them into a control panel at the end of a hallway